Sign in to follow this  
treblah3

Making a NJ-illegal AR NJ-legal

My friend has an AR-15 in PA that he wants to trade me. Problem is, it has a flash suppressor on it - can I just remove it? Or would I have to change the barrel so it's a non-threaded barrel?

Assuming that doing either of the above would make it NJ-legal (that's the only problem I've found in my research), does it need to be shipped to a NJ FFL or is that just for handguns? Would I even need to transfer it if it's a long gun or just bring it over here?

My apologies if these are dumb newbie questions and/or have been covered previously (I did look through the AR forums pretty thoroughly), I appreciate any answers out there!

You would have to remove it and destroy the threads, or, remove it and replace it with a muzzle brake and permenently affix it (weld, blind pin, etc)

Also if it has a bayonet lug that must be removed.

You can legally purchase it from him face to face. Infact, you can legally purchase it in its current configuration if you have to prior to making the modifications, just make sure to do them before crossing the border.

• Like 1

My link

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

• Like 1

since your 'home range' is paterson gunsmithing, go there and have him make it compliant. he quoted me $60 to cut off threads and recrown a barrel.

Yep, that's about right. They quoted me the same. The guy's name is George as I recall.

since it's a long arm, you can do the modifications in PA and then go to a PA FFL for the transfer. The PA FFL may be a bit skittish if they are unfamiliar with the NJ AWB. Either way works - FFL in PA or NJ, but I think, just to be safe, the mods should be made in PA, unless you intend to ship the gun directly to the NJ FFL - in otherwords, don't hand carry an unmodified AR into NJ.

Hope this didn't confuse the issue.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

i think its legal to have JUST the upper, with flash hider and lug, and no lower. its not a firearm, and with no lower, theres no 'constructive possession.' dont get pulled over and give a reason to have your car searched and youll be fine. plus you will be going to and from a gunsmith.

• Like 1

i think its legal to have JUST the upper, with flash hider and lug, and no lower.

The OP was talking about a complete firearm. If he wants to bring it in, in pieces - upper first, modify, then go get the lower, that would work.

I think I'm going to go ahead and have the full firearm shipped directly to the NJ FFL to have the mods done here. I'm not in PA that often and don't know of a specific shop in PA, whereas I *do* know one in NJ that will probably do it for me. I definitely won't be carrying it into NJ in its current configuration.

Thanks to everyone for the input! My buddy owes me money and the AR-15 was his offer to clear the debt - I was worried I'd have to trade it in PA for something I *could* have legally transferred to NJ (big pain in the a**) but it sounds like I can work around it. Thanks!