McClane

Greatest Glock Accessory of All Time

Or use the gun as it was intended and have the bullets come out of the end to break the glass if it is a bona-fide emergency.

Bang on the glass with the magazine with reckless regard for the people around you like the jackass with the shotgun,.. finger on the trigger and gun goes bang in wrong direction. As a defense attorney, I'd love to have that case. Anytime there is a LEO shooting, they take apart the gun, check the springs and all the internal parts to make sure there weren't any modifications. You go and put that unapproved device on a gun and you are at the mercy of the court whether you use it or not. The amount of negatives outweigh the tacti-kewl factor. Me, I want to make sure I give the prosecutors and defense attorneys less to work with. Keep it OEM and keep out of trouble.

so if a cop is first on the scene to a car accident, the car is on fire and driver unconscious.....he should just pull out a pistol and shoot the window out, huh? sure, great idea.

• Like 1

Yeah when I saw that cop swinging that shotgun like a bat, I :facepalm:

If they're cops they should have a baton. Heck I have one. I also have an emergency glassbreaker.

do you carry your baton when you go to the movies? or grocery shopping? I carry a gun in PA.. but I don't carry a batman like utility belt..

the guy swinging the shotgun is an idiot.. but it is easy for us to say that here.. sitting at the chair.. watching the video.. you were not there.. with adrenaline racing through your system.. what he did WAS stupid... but I can't say I would react perfectly in crazy situations like that.. I might do something more stupid.. and so might you.. you would never know till it actually happened..

but the point of posting the video was far simpler...

yes the guy could have shot the window..

yes the guy could have had a glass break..

yeah a lot of things could have happened.. but had he had this little accessory he could have breached the window in like a half a second.. and the other guy would have never had the chance to swing the shotgun.. none of that would have ever happened..

the point of posting the video was to say yeah.. you all might be right to some degree... but things DO happen.. emergencies DO come up.. and having something like this COULD be the difference between dealing with this kind of situation easily... OR having it be a circus.. should all LEO Glocks come with this? NO... should we make it mandatory and train cops to use it? probably not.. does it present some danger? sure.. but for being so unobtrusive.. it COULD prove to be handy in an emergency situation such as the one depicted in the video..

Yeah when I saw that cop swinging that shotgun like a bat, I :facepalm:

If they're cops they should have a baton. Heck I have one. I also have an emergency glassbreaker.

I don't know how many detectives you are friends with... but most I know do NOT carry batons..

I wasn't talking about a full baton but an expandable ASP type. I don't know what cops carry, but you would think it would be a standard piece of equipment for a duty belt. I don't carry mine on me all the time, but I do keep the glass punch in the car.

I wasn't talking about a full baton but an expandable ASP type. I don't know what cops carry, but you would think it would be a standard piece of equipment for a duty belt. I don't carry mine on me all the time, but I do keep the glass punch in the car.

the thing is you are thinking in the context of standard procedure.. oh there is one on my duty belt (detectives don't normally wear a duty belt).. or oh there is one in my car... sure that is all viable.. but..

you are off duty... shopping at the mall.. and you receive an emergency call that someone high on crack is going nuts and they need anyone who can help to help.. you stop what you are doing and rush to the scene to try to aid your fellow LEO.. you chase down this guy high as a kite... through the woods.. through a field.. finally stop the car.. do you say oh.. ok.. got him.. better grab the glass punch out of the glove box.. highly unlikely.. you jump out of the car like a madman and draw your weapon.. well he won't stop.. he won't do anything.. you try to break the glass with your gun.. which as you saw in the video doesn't always pan out (car glass is hard to break)... if you had this tool it would take one light hit to knock that whole window out.. and that allows you to access the bad guy..

like I said.. I am not singing the praises of this thing like it is reinventing the wheel or anything.. but what I am saying.. is it doesn't really seem as unreasonable as it was made out to seem in this thread..

so if a cop is first on the scene to a car accident, the car is on fire and driver unconscious.....he should just pull out a pistol and shoot the window out, huh? sure, great idea.

Yes, if it is an EMERGENCY of life or death.

How many cops shoot dogs in an owners home? Or putting a deer or other animal out of it's misery on the side of the road,or to breach a door? If a cop arrives on scene with his cruiser, I would imagine he would have something in his trunk to break the glass. Tire irons work pretty good. Again, firing rounds is a last resort.

FWIW, there was no reason or super urgency to bust the glass on that video. Take a defensive stance and if his actions warrant ventilating him, so be it. They were in a open desert, it wasn't like they were on a crowded street. And what was numb nuts going to do breaking the window over the rear wheel with that shotgun? Throw a flash bang in there?

So no one wants to talk about what a defense attorney would handle a modified weapon like this? Bottom line...What is the probability of any departments making this standard issue? NONE is the answer.

As a regular Joe on the street and you want to carry one, live it up. I'll stick with my metal folder that has a nice steel angle on the bottom to do the job.

Yes, if it is an EMERGENCY of life or death.

How many cops shoot dogs in an owners home? Or putting a deer or other animal out of it's misery on the side of the road,or to breach a door? If a cop arrives on scene with his cruiser, I would imagine he would have something in his trunk to break the glass. Tire irons work pretty good. Again, firing rounds is a last resort.

FWIW, there was no reason or super urgency to bust the glass on that video. Take a defensive stance and if his actions warrant ventilating him, so be it. They were in a open desert, it wasn't like they were on a crowded street. And what was numb nuts going to do breaking the window over the rear wheel with that shotgun? Throw a flash bang in there?

So no one wants to talk about what a defense attorney would handle a modified weapon like this? Bottom line...What is the probability of any departments making this standard issue? NONE is the answer.

As a regular Joe on the street and you want to carry one, live it up. I'll stick with my metal folder that has a nice steel angle on the bottom to do the job.

he was actually just about to get back on the highway.. we cut the video a little short.. lol

yeah a lot of things could have happened.. but had he had this little accessory he could have breached the window in like a half a second.. and the other guy would have never had the chance to swing the shotgun.. none of that would have ever happened..

They both had batons, they both had guns that could have shot through the glass if the suspect became an immediate threat. They should have CALMLY yet forcefully ordered him out of the car, or used a smart technique to break the glass. If the cop that was already present couldn't understand that breaking the glass with his baton was a good idea, then I don't think that a window punch on the bottom of their mag would have helped.

he was actually just about to get back on the highway.. we cut the video a little short.. lol

If that's the case, officer Whiffleball Bat should have started pumping some rounds into the glass.

Just going to share a story about an actual incident that happened in Belleville about 10 years ago with a veteran of the department and my neighbor. Father and son both members of the force at the time. The LEO had a nickname of 'Super Cop' but really was a nice guy if you knew him.

At the intersection of Mill and Main Street right as you get off Route 21 south bound, the LEO had some driver stopped and the driver's window was open. As the driver went to leave, the LEO reached in to grab the keys with his left hand and turn off the car. The driver hit the accelerator and now the LEO has his left armed trapped in the steering wheel and is being dragged. With an insane level of calmness and clear thinking, he used his right arm, drew his weapon and fired into the driver. He stopped driving alright, breathing, and his life of crime. I am very adverse to sticking my hand into any vehicle to pull someone out who refuses to get out.

the thing is you are thinking in the context of standard procedure.. oh there is one on my duty belt (detectives don't normally wear a duty belt).. or oh there is one in my car... sure that is all viable.. but..

you are off duty... shopping at the mall.. and you receive an emergency call that someone high on crack is going nuts and they need anyone who can help to help.. you stop what you are doing and rush to the scene to try to aid your fellow LEO.. you chase down this guy high as a kite... through the woods.. through a field.. finally stop the car.. do you say oh.. ok.. got him.. better grab the glass punch out of the glove box.. highly unlikely.. you jump out of the car like a madman and draw your weapon.. well he won't stop.. he won't do anything.. you try to break the glass with your gun.. which as you saw in the video doesn't always pan out (car glass is hard to break)... if you had this tool it would take one light hit to knock that whole window out.. and that allows you to access the bad guy..

like I said.. I am not singing the praises of this thing like it is reinventing the wheel or anything.. but what I am saying.. is it doesn't really seem as unreasonable as it was made out to seem in this thread..

And the answer is: http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Assist-Rescue-Pocket-Breaker/dp/B002659LZM

• Like 1

OMG that responder knife is offensive...and not in a self protection positive way. Perhaps for a field amputation of a limb....I know you were looking for just the right image to stir the pot. S&W makes a nice duty knife with a j-hook and glass breaker. I have one with just the glass breaker on my go bag.

S&W Glass breaker

Of course they don't show the glass breaker point on the end in the picture. If someone really needs to see what it looks like, I'll post a pic of mine.

just one last shot at this.. since it seems to be getting lost in internet translation...

the point of me posting that video.. and making the argument far earlier in the thread..

has NOTHING to do with "better" options.. the point was simply that this product is being viewed as an insanely laughable joke at best.. and the point of what I stated and what the video shows.. is while this is somewhat dangerous.. and while it may not be the best solution in the world to break a window.. and while you may have some really awesome glass breaker in a pouch in a bag in your trunk.. in a spur of the moment situation where you need to break a window NOW... having this unobtrusive attachment on your mag seems like not as horrible of an idea as it was made out to be.. that is all I was really saying..

vlad, you are making it too easy to have fun with this. I know you are trying to make us ball busters / naysayers see the light, but it is not going to happen. No hard feelings or ill will meant by the ribbing here. Some of us will find this a valuable tool and others see it as an accessory that doesn't need to be on a handgun.

Now back to ball busting... if they had a shark repellent finish to spray on my handgun, I'd be all over that. :facepalm:

OMG that responder knife is offensive...and not in a self protection positive way. Perhaps for a field amputation of a limb....I know you were looking for just the right image to stir the pot.

Actually, I was looking for a simple folder with a glass breaker on the end but I couldn't find one. I carry a knife everywhere (everywhere I can legally) and if I was a PO or FD or EMS, I would have a folder with glass breaker for sure.

My buddy in HS (prior to glass breakers being all the rage) was on the FD/EMS squad and carried a spring loaded center punch which accomplished the task at hand and required no effort to "smash".

Actually, I was looking for a simple folder with a glass breaker on the end but I couldn't find one. I carry a knife everywhere (everywhere I can legally) and if I was a PO or FD or EMS, I would have a folder with glass breaker for sure.

My buddy in HS (prior to glass breakers being all the rage) was on the FD/EMS squad and carried a spring loaded center punch which accomplished the task at hand and required no effort to "smash".

In all seriousness, check out the S&W folders. Decent blade, great grip for smashing things and a nice pointed peen on the end, and nicely priced too. I picked mine up at the Police and Security Expo in AC this past summer, but am sure you can find them on line.

As far as the automatic center punches, I've owned a few of the pencil type ones from Snap On. I used to use them all them time with I was helicopter mechanic and then keep one on me as a person protection device. Push that on a bone or a hand and you will get a reaction for sure. You hit a window near a corner with those and they make almost no noise and the older car alarms wouldn't even go off...so I've heard.

I have a meeting tomorrow morning at the Claremont Tower in Newark, maybe I should try the folder and center punch out. Oh never mind, way too many cameras at that building.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWFR-First-Response/dp/B0015A5C6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1297741232&sr=8-1

This is what I carry everyday. It has both a seat belt cutter, and window punch. The blade is sharp, and the pocket clip is strong. I would seriously recommend this knife to anyone who needs an EDC knife that wants a window punch. And it's $15, much cheaper than when I bought mine.