NJdiverTony

What should my next pistol purchase be? Need your help!

Read my post before you vote, please!  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be my next handgun purchase?

• M&P .45
    • Springfield Loaded series 1911
    • M&P 9 Pro

Hi guys, I need your help in deciding my next handgun purchase, which will be as soon as my permits come through...

I already have a Beretta 92A1 waiting for me at the FFL, and I'm getting 2 permits. I'm kind of torn on what to buy with my 2nd permit... I was originally thinking about an M&P 45, but everyone keeps telling me that I should buy a 1911. I've read great things about the M&P 45 and I have shot the M&P 9mm, which I REALLY liked and shot very well with. I recently got to shoot GlennP's 1911 and that was a very nice gun as well. Been doing a lot of research and reading, and I've gotten to a point where I've reached "analysis paralysis" and don't know what to decide anymore. Some people tell me that 1911's are the best thing since sliced bread, then others say that they are finicky and can act up from time to time and require a lot of TLC and occasional visit to a gunsmith... and also that I have to spend $1000+ for a good quality 1911 (great trigger, more reliable components, etc). Then, I've gotten comments about the M&P that vary from "Oooh, the M&P is the best! Low maintenance, simple, accurate, and extremely reliable!" to "Buy a real gun (1911), not some tupperware"...LOL. To add to the confusion, I've been eyeing up the M&P 9 Pro which I thik would make for a sweet range and competition gun. I would like to eventually try my hand at IDPA... but I could just as easily use my 92A1 for that, right? My maximum budget is about $800. So my question to you guys is this:

Which one should I get? Should I even disregard .45's in general and go with the M&P 9 Pro? I'm going to get into reloading ammo in the near future too, so I'm not too concerned with the price of .45acp ammo. All your comments and advice would be appreciated, and I have also added a poll to this post so I can count your votes!

Thanks,

Tony

Going to get a lot of opinions Tony!

I'm going to out of the 1911 and M&P box, and say that personally, I'd consider looking at a Sig 226 or 229 Elite in either .40 or 9mm , whichever round does it for you. Arguable that .45 is the best out of them for "stopping power" but the .40 and 9mm are no slouchers. I don't know anything about competition and which would be best for that...

226 if you want a full size frame, 229 for more compact

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=163

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=162

Blah. Stay to the box. =)

they are all great guns.

I would go with both. the M&P 9 Pro is a terrific firearm that is ready to go out of the box, for both competitive shooting, home defense, and target practice.

The 1911 is a different beast. Take more care to figure out what you like and what you dont. Plenty of 1911 aficionados on the forum. Look at many, shoot many.

The M&P 45 I am sure is a great gun, I have not shot it... however my preference is not for 45 caliber polymer/plastic guns.

so yeah... M&P 9mm Pro, followed by 1911.

Tony, unless you reload or are planning on doing so in the near future, I would avoid 45ACP. It is an expensive caliber to shoot. You can buy nearly twice as much 9mm ammo for the same money as 45.

If you do reload, then a 45 would be great. I think there are a ton of good options out there for you. There are a number of nice and reliable 1911s out there for $800. STI has one. So does Magnum Research, Springfield. On the other hand, many people prefer non-1911 45s. I like the CZ97. The M&P45 was a nice shooting gun too. My best advice is to go somewhere that you can rent a bunch of different 45s. I know Shore Shot has at least seven or eight different ones on their rental wall.

.45 ACP is a nice round to reload. If you plan on reloading and want a different caliber, then .45 ACP would be my choice. My first .45 was a 1911 and if I had the choice, I'd do the same. They're easy to take apart and maintain.

Every gun collection should have a 1911 at some point. I'm actually checking out some 1911's and may get another in the near future.

Going to get a lot of opinions Tony!

I'm going to out of the 1911 and M&P box, and say that personally, I'd consider looking at a Sig 226 or 229 Elite in either .40 or 9mm , whichever round does it for you. Arguable that .45 is the best out of them for "stopping power" but the .40 and 9mm are no slouchers. I don't know anything about competition and which would be best for that...

226 if you want a full size frame, 229 for more compact

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=163

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=162

Hey Dan,

I've tried out the P226... and it's just not for me. I love the gun, but I just couldn't shoot it well for some reason. I also don't like the floorplate on the mags for the P226... it sticks out from the bottom of the grip and digs into my pinky finger, which is uncomfortable for me. I even tried out the P226 E2, and I had the very same issue with it as well. I've got pretty big and wide hands. The Beretta 92 and the M&P's fit just right in my hand and are comfortable. If it wasn't for the grip issue, I probably would have bought a Sig P226.

The 1911 I shot a couple of weeks ago felt pretty good in my hand too... very comfortable to shoot.

Blah. Stay to the box. =)

they are all great guns.

I would go with both. the M&P 9 Pro is a terrific firearm that is ready to go out of the box, for both competitive shooting, home defense, and target practice.

The 1911 is a different beast. Take more care to figure out what you like and what you dont. Plenty of 1911 aficionados on the forum. Look at many, shoot many.

The M&P 45 I am sure is a great gun, I have not shot it... however my preference is not for 45 caliber polymer/plastic guns.

so yeah... M&P 9mm Pro, followed by 1911.

Yeah, I've been reading some great reviews on teh M&P 9 Pro... It's definitely tempting! But since I'm already getting the Beretta 92A1, I feel like I might regret it if I get another 9mm and not a .45ACP pistol. Decisions, decisions, decisions... LOL.

Tony, unless you reload or are planning on doing so in the near future, I would avoid 45ACP. It is an expensive caliber to shoot. You can buy nearly twice as much 9mm ammo for the same money as 45.

If you do reload, then a 45 would be great. I think there are a ton of good options out there for you. There are a number of nice and reliable 1911s out there for $800. STI has one. So does Magnum Research, Springfield. On the other hand, many people prefer non-1911 45s. I like the CZ97. The M&P45 was a nice shooting gun too. My best advice is to go somewhere that you can rent a bunch of different 45s. I know Shore Shot has at least seven or eight different ones on their rental wall.

Yeah, I'm planning on reloading... Part of logic behind getting the M&P 45 was taht with the money I'd save getting it over a 1911, I could put that money into buying reloading equipment. I'm pretty much set on what reloading press and other gear I'm buying (as well as powder, bullets, primers, etc)... so that'll be one of my next purchases.

I dont get why so many people are voting for 1911 springfield. =)

M&P 9 pro all the way.

I definitely like the M&P 9 Pro... but I'm afraid I'll end up regretting not getting a .45 if I buy it. This second pistol would be it for a while for me, as with a wife and 2 little kids I don't have a large budget to keep buying guns.

Hey Dan,

I've tried out the P226... and it's just not for me. I love the gun, but I just couldn't shoot it well for some reason. I also don't like the floorplate on the mags for the P226... it sticks out from the bottom of the grip and digs into my pinky finger, which is uncomfortable for me. I even tried out the P226 E2, and I had the very same issue with it as well. I've got pretty big and wide hands. The Beretta 92 and the M&P's fit just right in my hand and are comfortable. If it wasn't for the grip issue, I probably would have bought a Sig P226.

The 1911 I shot a couple of weeks ago felt pretty good in my hand too... very comfortable to shoot.

Cool, glad you gave it a try. Too bad didn't work out for you. Of course go with your gut. Out of your choices seems you really can't go wrong either way. I like your logic on reloading... save some money over a custom 1911.. and invest in a reloading setup with the leftover.

What's nice is once you have the reloading stuff, you are set for whatever guns you get. Would stink to get a nice 1911, but then can't afford to shoot it.

How about a Springfield XD .45? :D

It's not one of his choices, though it would be a good one.

Jay, you have to go to one of the meetups and shoot everything. You'll be suprised as to what you like and dislike.

Are the Smith & Wesson 1911's better than the Springfields? I like that the S&W are made in the US and also like S&W's warranty and customer service. Been reading some things that concern me about the Springfields (Issues with cheap/crappy mags that come with the gun, triggers are not so great, etc). For the same price or maybe a couple of bucks more I can get into a S&W 1911... What do you guys think?

Are the Smith & Wesson 1911's better than the Springfields? I like that the S&W are made in the US and also like S&W's warranty and customer service. Been reading some things that concern me about the Springfields (Issues with cheap/crappy mags that come with the gun, triggers are not so great, etc). For the same price or maybe a couple of bucks more I can get into a S&W 1911... What do you guys think?

I have read nothing but positive reviews of S&W 1911's, but I hate their modern looks (i.e. forward cocking serrations, external extractors, lightened triggers w/holes, etc). I prefer the more traditional looks of a Springfield GI or Milspec. I think customer service is great for both companies, so on the rare chance you have a problem, it will be made right.

I have read nothing but positive reviews of S&W 1911's, but I hate their modern looks (i.e. forward cocking serrations, external extractors, lightened triggers w/holes, etc). I prefer the more traditional looks of a Springfield GI or Milspec. I think customer service is great for both companies, so on the rare chance you have a problem, it will be made right.

Funny thing is that I like the S&W for those reasons... I like the modern look... obviously it's just a matter of personal taste. The S&W's I like are probably ones that you'll hate! LOL! I like handguns with rails on them, for some reason. Here they are:

108303_01_lg.jpg

108293_01_lg.jpg

Funny thing is that I like the S&W for those reasons... I like the modern look... obviously it's a matter of personal taste. The S&W I like is probably one that you'll hate! LOL! Here it is:

108303_01_lg.jpg

Well, I like the grips. I guess that's something. :)

If you want to get started in IDPA, the M&P 9 would be my choice (of the choices listed :) For myself I'd choose a Glock 34, which is pretty similar). Good gun for SSP, or USPSA Production. You could use a 1911, but 9mm is cheaper (to buy or reload) so practice and matches will be more affordable.

If you want a nice 1911 under $700, check out the STI Spartans as well. Very nice, reasonable price, and good shooters. They look plain (parkerized, plain but nice wood grips), but come with some nice features and good sights.

• Like 1

I think the M and P Smith & Wesson is the best choice hands down. The M&P Series is more designed for CC. Smaller in Size. Good dependable guns. I myself would go with the .45acp for stopping power. The M&P in .45ACP is a very manageable .But the most important thing as with any Semi-auto pistol you need to field strip the new pistol and clean the gun thoroughly to insure trouble free operation. Also don't condemn the gun after only one box of shells. All pistols have ammo they do not like. Try several brands and gr. to meet your needs.And keep shooting.