n4p226r

To geissele or not to

Sounds like you want a simple, no fuss trigger with a lighter than GI-stock feel? There is also the option of a Bill Springfield trigger job. 3-4 lbs of crisp SA pull on stock GI parts for $50.

http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15.html

+1. Bill did a 4lb trigger for me and a 3lb trigger. The 3lb is probably a bit light for your purposes. The best part is you just remove the retaining pins and mail Bill the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and springs. He mails you back a finished product.

Just throwing in my $0.02 ... Three things:

1. I know a LOT of people who have had their triggers done by Bill in the past and have been exceeding happy, but there's also some out their who have not been pleased. FWIW he is not a "certified" gunsmith, just a guy who tinkered with his own firearms till he figured it out. Nothing against his work, I'm just saying.

2. I wouldn't use a trigger job (compared to a drop-in replacement) on a SHTF rifle. Just like no one would use a trigger job on a patrol rifle.

3. Geissele are fantastic triggers. I own 3 (so I'm very biased) and I feel the SSA is just right for a battle rifle. You can pull through the trigger for quick shots in succession, or use the take-up to fire a few precise shots at medium/long range. Also the take-up can be used as a safety of sorts, but the best safety is finger out of the trigger guard, and the one located between your ears.

• Like 1

Bill did my Ar, a beretta, a 1911, my GSG5 so I do enjoy his work. If you want a good 3lb trigger for $49- go with Bill. If you want an excellent 2+lb trigger, then go with the Geissele.

The geisselle ssa is not a 2lb trigger. At the same time, would you rather hve a worked trigger, or a new trigger, designed for the military, on your shtf firearm.

We are talking about different ends of the cost spectrum. $40-50 is a cost effective trigger job for those who don't have $200+ for a Geisselle trigger.

To me the only downside to a Bill Springfield trigger job would be if you use crap parts to begin with. Good quality trigger groups use parts that are hardened all the way through. Cheap parts can be only surface hardened. Bill removes metal from the trigger parts for a better pull. If you don't have quality parts, the non-hardened surfaces are exposed and will degrade.

It is $170 for a trigger, SSA.

Here is the question though, Liability... if your $50 trigger after being worked over craps out, or god forbid was a little tooo light, and on recoil goes FA.... what recourse do you have? Since it was your part and you just had it sent to a gunsmith...

as opposed to, you bought a part, the part failed, it was a produced part.... you can easily go after Giesselle.

Then again, with all the money being blow on guns, is $150 that much more to invest in a quality component?

As people far smarter than me say.... buy once, cry once.

Re: Liability, same as when you adjust your sear set screw down so far it locks out the disconnect? Think the ATF will care however you monkey with your gun when you turn it into a machine gun? Giselle didn't pull the trigger that day. But this is all as speculative as the more or less lethal ammo in court argument. Make no mistake, Bill's trigger work is professional, he's no 2-bit hack.

For what the OP's looking for, that giselle is way past the point of diminishing returns. There's no argument of quality, but rather whats appropriate to the context and I don't think he's looking for bragging rights.

If you are going to spend on a high quality barrel (Noveske), why not get the best trigger available? I put in an SSA in my new lower a couple of weeks ago. I have not taken it to the range yet because of the weather, but it feels awsome dry firing. Just so you know the SSA is about 4 1/2 lbs. The SSA-E is 3 1/2 lbs. Here's a link to some great info on Geissele triggers.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70842

(Edit to add: post #11 in this thread)

Or just to make your decision tougher there is the SD series from Geissele

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65283

For what the OP's looking for, that giselle is way past the point of diminishing returns. There's no argument of quality, but rather whats appropriate to the context and I don't think he's looking for bragging rights.

Not looking for a bench gun. Looking for best quality and something that will last.

If you were looking for a shtf gun what would it be.

On the contrary, I think a Geissele SSA could be precisely what the OP is looking for...

Didn't we beat this topic to death awhile ago. I have two Bill Springfield triggers. He recut the engagement surfaces and bobbed both. Neither one was a direct drop-in. Both had to have the little weld he puts on the bottom of the trigger tail filed a bit to get the safety installed. On both assemblies I had to stone the engagement surfaces because the triggers were a little "gritty". Now if you know machines and are not scared to work on them then Bill is a good option for $50.

If you want a drop-in buy a drop-in.

definitely looking drop in. good thing is i have a few months to work out what to get. ill probably get the noveske team's opinion as well. since i've only shot 2 ar's im not sure i'll miss it if i dont get it, but i figured what the heck, if im gonna go all out, might as well go all out.

The ssa is light? It is 4.5 lbs.

Have it on my ar, by far the best investment I made on the gun. Everyone who shot it, loved it.

The one I shot had been "tooled with" by the owner. Maybe he adjusted it differently than others would.

As for Bill Springfield, I have two of his jobs on my pistols, but from what I understand he is VERY ILL currently and has returned a few shoddy jobs as of recently. With an AR trigger I would go with one of the MANY high quality drop-ins.

Timney.

15 minutes to drop in, no alterations to stock components. No set up. Single stage. Install and forget. It works, ground hogs hate it.

If you insist on a boat anchor weight trigger they make them in 4lb too.

Just wondering why a factory bolt action rifle with a 4 or 5lb trigger is junk, but its great in an AR ??

Just wondering why you would spend over $1000 on a rifle and skimp on the most important part of the whole rig? Every target or hunting rifle, pistol,or shotgun I ever shot was judged by its trigger, not its looks. If you don't hit the target. . .

But hey, I'm new to this Ar thing, accuracy still matters to me

I'm a Geissele dealer and I've had a chance to play with most of their triggers (some are exclusive to certain retailers) and here's my take:

SSA: My go-to combat trigger. 4.5lb total pull weight, two stages, non-adjustable. Excellent for run 'n gun situations (carbine classes, CQB work, etc.) but being a two stage trigger with a light pull weight, it is still capable of being a precision trigger. Not the best precision trigger but for being a combat trigger, it more than handles precision work. Break is a little mushy which doesn't help it as a precision trigger but again, it's a combat trigger that is capable of being a precision trigger.

SSA-E: A lighter SSA with a much cleaner break. Breaks at about 3.5lbs and if the SSA breaks like a carrot, this breaks like ice. Much more DMR material.

S3G: Basically a single stage trigger. I hate single stage triggers. I love the S3G. How can this be?! Let me tell you. Breaks at about 3.5lbs, NO stack-up, no creep, very little pre and over travel. Breaks like you're walking off a cliff. Very short reset relative to the SSA and SSA-E. If these were handguns, the S3G is a Glock and the SSA/E is a Sig without the SRT. With a little more trigger time, this may replace my SSAs as my go-to.

Any questions, feel free to post, PM, email or call.

• Like 1

their application guide doesnt list the S3G as being suitable for military/law enforcement

http://geissele.com/pdfs/ApplicationGuide.pdf

is it a lot lighter pull than the SSA or is it just a different style that makes it less tailored to that type of role?

That may be a CYA type statement. If I were on a two way range, I'd have no issue with rocking a S3G. As a LEO customer of mine once said, "It's like a turbo for your finger"