kenw

Not a fan of network TV

There are a few shows I watch, but for the most part, I’m not a big fan of network television, and I especially don’t like when they jump on the coattails of whatever the latest thing is in the real world.

Lynn recorded this week’s episode of Hawaii 5-0. I don’t watch it, so she saves it for when I’m either not home or doing something else. There was nothing worthwhile on last night, so she put it on, and I tried to ignore it while I was sitting on the couch making conversation. The show was about some piracy and kidnapping thing, doesn’t matter, it’s irrelevant. What is relevant are the following 2 scenes.

Cops get a phone call from scumbag. Scumbag is dressed in black with a ski mask, silhouetted in front of a Hawaiian sunset, camera angle slightly upwards to make him look more dangerous, with a cell phone in his left hand, and starkly outlined against the tropical sky, a handgun with an obvious extended magazine (remember Tuscon?). For the full 1:30 scene, the camera never moves, we hear the conversation (“I’m gonna kill the hostages, blah blah, ransom, blah), but the center of the screen is occupied by this absurd looking contraption in his right hand.

Next scene, the cops show up to where they traced the cell call and the body of some 18 or 19 year old hostage is lying dead on the beach with a bullet hole in his forehead.

It’s obvious that this contrived and superfluous scene was added just to bring attention to the gun and the evil device protruding from its grip. The scene added no value to the episode, no drama, no nothing. Just the subliminal message that really big magazines are evil, and that only evildoers would ever have occasion to use them, and only to commit acts of evil.

Makes me puke.

I hate all these CSI/LE type shows that are on nowadays. I'll watch Cops every now and then, because it's actually real and it's fun to watch sometimes.

The only things I ever watch on tv are Seinfeld, , Anthony Bourdains No Reservations, Curb your Enthusiasm, Cartoon Network, and the gun shows on Outdoors Channel (Tactical Impact, Personal Defense etc).

For what it's worth, Hawaii 5.0. isn't too terribly bad.

What really irritates me about the show is they're always going in heavy...with handguns.

In the particular episode the Ken mentioned, they go in with rifles YAY! but as soon as the bad guy runs, he drops the AR and pulls out his pistol. BOOO!

The first episode really annoyed me. The skinny Asian looking chick is out surfing...she comes ashore and there's a big buff surfer standing there and she lays him out with one punch. "Don't ever cut my wave" or some other annoying bs. In real life, she hits him and he proceeds to break her in half and send her to the hospital, probably with permanent injury, paralysis or brain damage.

The first episode really annoyed me. The skinny Asian looking chick is out surfing...she comes ashore and there's a big buff surfer standing there and she lays him out with one punch. "Don't ever cut my wave" or some other annoying bs. In real life, she hits him and he proceeds to break her in half and send her to the hospital, probably with permanent injury, paralysis or brain damage.

Don't underestimate the power of a skinny asian chick....

Don't underestimate the power of a skinny asian chick....

Yeah, they give good massage. China was great for that...40RMB /hour. That was about $5 when I was going...about $8 now. Happy ending fiffy dolla US. To which the reply is... "Five dollars is all my mom allows me to spend". I guess they never saw Full Metal Jacket because they didn't find it too funny.

I saw the H 5-O episode you're referring to. I believe it was a 92FS (not sure, didn't get a good look) he was holding. Later they showed the hostage he had just killed and said he was killed with a single shot to the head with the same round that was used for two earlier murders. Problem is, the baddies used an AK-47 for the earlier kills and the cops even said "7.62". So, how many handguns fire 7.62x39. Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Andy, haven't you heard of the new TV gun? You know the one that shoots everything from .22 to .500 without changing anything?

But really, shows are just shows meant only for entertainment, but sadly people take everything they see on TV seriously.

Yea Ken - I'm with you on this. The ignorant public gets a lot of its firearms knowledge from what is portrayed on TV. Hollywood and its lib friends help out the gun control fanatics all the time in getting their message across.

All the TV shows I watch are on Showtime and HBO, and neither channel seems to be able to put out a terrible show. There are a few network shows I used to watch. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was hilarious. How I Met Your Mother was pretty good.