Maksim

NJ FID/PP Compliancy Project

I called for an update on my application today. Here is what I was told. "Your two references came back and are OK. We interviewed your neighbors and that is OK. Now I want you to come in for an interview next week".

Is this guy making up the rules (and obstacles) as he goes along?  WTF?

I get the feeling that something fishy is going on here.

What's the purpose of the interview?  I'm pretty sure he can't arbitrarily deny you because he feels you're not gun-worthy based on speaking with you.

Per se no, but he can use that to bolster an argument for public safety concerns.

I called for an update on my application today. Here is what I was told. "Your two references came back and are OK. We interviewed your neighbors and that is OK. Now I want you to come in for an interview next week".

Is this guy making up the rules (and obstacles) as he goes along?  WTF?

I get the feeling that something fishy is going on here.

Yeah, that's not good. First, I'd consider it a violation of "right of privacy" for LE to talk with anyone (in re: your application) other than the two references listed on the sts-033 (and other Govt. agencies or County Mental Health, etc.)... certainly not one's "neighbors."  Neighbors can get awfully nosy! And one's exercising of their own 2A rights is none of their (neighbor's) business, unless you elect to share it with them.  Same thing with employers (but I'm self-employed so that doesn't matter much). Or, in many cases (including mine), the "property management" office (i.e. if you live in a PUD or townhouse complex). 

So far, so good, for me, AFAIK. I turned in my Morpho Trak results to the chief, yesterday. I'll check with my references in a few days to see if letters went out. I'm being told 45-60 days from this point, given the holidays and the extra traffic of late.

We'll see.

Yeah, that's not good. First, I'd consider it a violation of "right of privacy" for LE to talk with anyone (in re: your application) other than the two references listed on the sts-033 (and other Govt. agencies or County Mental Health, etc.)... certainly not one's "neighbors."  Neighbors can get awfully nosy! And one's exercising of their 2A rights is none of their business, unless you elect to share it with them.  Same thing with employers (but I'm self-employed so that doesn't matter much). Or, in many cases (including mine), the "property management" office (i.e. if you live in a PUD or townhouse complex). 

So far, so good, for me, AFAIK. I turned in my Morpho Trak results to the chief, yesterday. I'll check with my references in a few days to see if letters went out. I'm being told 45-60 days from this point, given the holidays and the extra traffic of late.

We'll see.

overly invasive, and possibly ilegal but im no lawyer. I know id be pissed. My neighbors are deuschy liberals who i dont talk to but am well aware they suck the government dry collecting for no reason. They would love to prevent me from having guns. if a lawyer told me I had a case against the department id take it in a heartbeat because thats bs and violates your privacy. 

Unecessary but had to edit just to add. that if you cant tell this type of thing pisses me off to no end and these departments , on top of their incompetency, should be repremanded legally

I don't like the interview idea because it is not in writing and gives this officer any number of possible excuses to continue to delay and/or deny my application. Imagine, here you are in a room with a LEO and he is asking you questions, sort of like an interrogation. He can position the questions in such a way that there is no "right" answer. He can also spin the interview in such a way so as to make you look bad. Once you are behind closed doors, who is to say what was said? What questions were asked?

At this point I believe that this particular LEO is abusing his position of authority and doing everything he can to mislead, misinform and delay.

And yes it pisses me off too, which is why they do it, I am sure. And I'll tell you why. It doesn't pay to report crime around here, it just pisses the LEO's off if you complain about how they conduct their business in their town. Law enforcement is selective, very selective.

Cedar Grove responded to me right away,  The Chief and Sargeant are actually  very nice to deal with and very quick to respond.

Turns out they are frustrated too.  Seems it is Essex County who is dragging their feet.  The hall of records has yet to release my mental health records check to the 

Cedar Grove PD.  Essex County records is the only thing they are waiting for.  

Guess the next email goes to Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo. 

Just think that every one in the chain of this process is someone whom the public pays the salaries of.  Freakin hilarious ain't it?  

Teaneck:

Applied: 10/10/2013

Just got a call today(12/6/2013) they are ready.  57 days including a holiday.  That is a new record.  Last time I applied it took about 4 months.  Very pleased.

Lt. Gooley told me last week that he would call me last week for the interview this week. He never called me. I called him today and he denied telling me that he was going to call me back, then he tells me how busy he is and how this is not a personal thing and just how serious this investigation is. I am sorry, but I know when I am being lied to and fed a line of crap.

What is this interview crap..ILLEGAL...an interview should not be required. There is no law stating such process

Call Haddon Township and talk to Lt. Gooley. As long as it's not in writing he can tell you anything he wants and later deny it, which is exactly what he is doing. I see it as psychological abuse as well as simply denying my application by refusing to process it.

Today Gooley told me "I know by law that this application is supposed to be processed within 30 days. As long as I am still working on it I am not breaking any laws".

I guess two years from now, if my application is still on his desk that technically he is not breaking any laws. 

I truly believe that Gooley is pushing my buttons to try and get me to explode so he can use that as an excuse for denying my application.

Call Haddon Township and talk to Lt. Gooley. As long as it's not in writing he can tell you anything he wants and later deny it, which is exactly what he is doing. I see it as psychological abuse as well as simply denying my application by refusing to process it.

Today Gooley told me "I know by law that this application is supposed to be processed within 30 days. As long as I am still working on it I am not breaking any laws".

I guess two years from now, if my application is still on his desk that technically he is not breaking any laws. 

I truly believe that Gooley is pushing my buttons to try and get me to explode so he can use that as an excuse for denying my application.

f.     Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure of the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:39-10. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by the Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies for the issuance of such permit. The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to such court at any time for the revocation of such card.

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

Set that cop straight!  You must be approved(or denied) in 30 days as per state law.  "Processed" isn't anywhere in the statute.  Approved or denied is.  Tell him to read up on the law. N.J.S. 2C:58-3(f). 

Set that cop straight!  You must be approved(or denied) in 30 days as per state law.  "Processed" isn't anywhere in the statute.  Approved or denied is.  Tell him to read up on the law. N.J.S. 2C:58-3(f). 

I wish I could. He has been very clear about his position on this subject. I am being denied by his not processing the application. There's more to it too. I have a firearms hearing coming up in January, 2014 to try and recover a rifle that I inherited from my father when he passed. My ex girlfriend instigated a domestic violence incident, had me removed from our home with a restraining order, then turned the gun in to the police. I was acquitted of her (BS) charges. I get the feeling that someone in the local PD wants the rifle, it's a Remington model 1903 .30 '06, and that is why my application is being stalled. I wish there was some way to circumnavigate this guy and his nonsense.

" There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter."

I especially like the way Gooley is violating this part by claiming to want an additional interview with me. Like I said before, psychological bullshit designed to be inflammatory and get a violent response from me. Well it doesn't work!

I wish I could. He has been very clear about his position on this subject. I am being denied by his not processing the application. There's more to it too. I have a firearms hearing coming up in January, 2014 to try and recover a rifle that I inherited from my father when he passed. My ex girlfriend instigated a domestic violence incident, had me removed from our home with a restraining order, then turned the gun in to the police. I was acquitted of her (BS) charges. I get the feeling that someone in the local PD wants the rifle, it's a Remington model 1903 .30 '06, and that is why my application is being stalled. I wish there was some way to circumnavigate this guy and his nonsense.

" There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter."

I especially like the way Gooley is violating this part by claiming to want an additional interview with me. Like I said before, psychological bs designed to be inflammatory and get a violent response from me. Well it doesn't work!

Call and ask to speak to the police chief and explain that the law is the law(including the interview).  File a complaint with your county prosecutor(chief law enforcement officer of your county).  File a complaint with the state attorney general.  The last thing this cop wants is his boss, or his bosses boss breathing down his neck about why he hasn't approved or denied the permit application, or why he wants additional conditions like interviews.  Its time the cops in this state start following the law themselves.

DeeVeeEight, on 10 Dec 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

I especially like the way Gooley is violating this part by claiming to want an additional interview with me. Like I said before, psychological bs designed to be inflammatory and get a violent response from me. Well it doesn't work!

I am not sure we are getting the whole story here.....

Myself along with other people I know have dealt with Gooley and have had zero problems. He is swamped with permit requests but never once has he been rude to me or my friends. My experience with him has been the complete opposite of what you are encountering. He had me come in for "interviews" too, but that was to turn in all paperwork and to make sure it was all in order, and he has never spoken to my neighbors. It takes no more than 5 weeks for me to get my permits from the time I turn them in.

You stated in earlier posts back in July and August of this year that you stole car when you were 16 and you had a misdemeanor conviction about 7 years ago. Now you mention this domestic situation and restraining order 2 years ago. Perhaps your checkered past is the obstacle, not Gooley.

Good luck.

I am not sure we are getting the whole story here.....

Myself along with other people I know have dealt with Gooley and have had zero problems. He is swamped with permit requests but never once has he been rude to me or my friends. My experience with him has been the complete opposite of what you are encountering. He had me come in for "interviews" too, but that was to turn in all paperwork and to make sure it was all in order, and he has never spoken to my neighbors. It takes no more than 5 weeks for me to get my permits from the time I turn them in.

You stated in earlier posts back in July and August of this year that you stole car when you were 16 and you had a misdemeanor conviction about 7 years ago. Now you mention this domestic situation and restraining order 2 years ago. Perhaps your checkered past is the obstacle, not Gooley.

Good luck.

Gooley has had ample time to make a decision either way. The fact that you got yours in 5 weeks speaks volumes. As far as the domestic issue is concerned, I was found NOT GUILTY. That means I DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG. Do you have a problem with that? Or am I forever tainted because some malicious crazy woman brought false charges against me? The car issue should not even be on my record as it happened 40 years ago and I was a minor. Even Gooley poo poo'd that. The only issue I should have to overcome is the misdemeanor. Now why is my application sitting on Gooleys desk for 4 months? And as far as additional interviews are concerned, I have no additional paperwork to turn in, so why the delay?

Do the police start the search process when you hand in the paperwork, or after you get your fingerprints done?  The reason I ask is because I was told the process would be 30-45 days.  On day 30, they called me to ask if I had got my fingerprints done.  I had my fingerprints done the day before I handed in my paperwork.  I'm hoping they ordered all of the background searches when I handed in the paperwork.  We are now hovering around day 40 and if I have to wait 30-45 days after waiting 30 days I will be less than happy.  I called the police department to find out but they have not returned my call.

Thank you.

I have had my long guns permit for 14 years. I have never had any kind of record or done anything wrong but now I feel like a criminal. I live in a small town that is one square mile that has its own police department (I don't know why there is zero crime in this town). The police have nothing to do except sit on the corner and look on their phones.  

I applied on October 24th for my first P2p. I was told on that day by the Chief it will take 30 days. We had a friendly conversation that day about pistols. He was telling me about Sig's and how good they are and about the local range.

About three weeks later my references finally got their letters and mailed them right back the same day. On November 26th I went to the station to say hello and see if its ready. I was told by another officer that it takes four to six weeks and that only one officer (Dave) does them and wasn't there. I caught up with Dave a couple nights later while on a bike ride. He said he was still waiting on the state.

I called the state police on December 4th and they said they processed it on December 2nd and mailed it back a couple days later.

I want to the station today at 3pm, the Chief was there, (playing with his phone, he was the only one on duty today so he was probably bored). 

I was being nice, at least I thought I was, I asked him how he's been and if its finished. He was kinda short with me and said if they didn't call me, its not done. I told him that I called the state and they processed it on the 2nd and mailed it back a couple days later. He didn't seem very happy that I called them. Then he tells me that they are a small department and that taking calls is more important than permits. Now I 100% agree with that, but, the thing is the only "calls" they get are the texts on their personal phones. I lived in this town my whole life, I know what goes on... nothing.

He also tells me that they get a lot of permit requests this time of year and I'm not the only one. Theres only about 1500 people in this whole town 3/4 of them are kids and elderly that don't get P2p's. Out of the other 25% I'd say very few are getting permits. Then he tells me Dave is on vacation. I guess no one else can take 20 minuets out of their day and finish it. He also told me that when its done they will call me and to stop coming around and asking about it.

I'm the kind of guy that when I want something I go get it. I already have a $900 pistol paid for and I cant touch it.

Don't get me wrong I actually like the police in my town but this is ridiculous. I read through this thread and know theres guys waiting wayyyy longer than me but this whole system is horrible. If I was a criminal I could go buy one right now, probably for half of what I paid for the one I already paid for too.

I cant believe we have to put up with this. It sucks we are a society of sheep that live in fear.

Thank you louu, very well said. We are all frustrated by the way things are being handled, or should I say, mishandled.

Your "friendly" encounter with the Chief is all too typical of the attitude that the police have towards the public.

And they wonder why we don't trust them and want to be able to take care of ourselves?

HEAR YEE! HEAR YEE! The Newark Police Department processed my pistol permits UNDER 90 days! I repeat under 90 days! That is all.....Too bad I can't pick them up because the required time to do so is while I am at work.

I never did get my interview this week. More excuses and delays here. Gooley denies what he said a week ago. I can't win!

Did you ever play ball with kids who always changed the rules/boundaries so that they could win and you would lose? That is what this feels like.

Independence Township, Warren County.

Initial FID and 2 permits received 24 calendar days after the  app/submission date.

No additional forms or questions, other than sts-033, sp-066 and MorphoTrak.

Reference letters sent and returned quickly. Nothing other than standard questions.

Bravo Zulu Independence Twp!    :)

Independence Township, Warren County.

Initial FID and 2 permits received 24 calendar days after the  app/submission date.

No additional forms or questions, other than sts-033, sp-066 and MorphoTrak.

Reference letters sent and returned quickly. Nothing other than standard questions.

Bravo Zulu Independence Twp!    :)

WOW! That's awesome, congratulations!