Pete

Hello! I am here to assist my Kids with rifle shooting

Hello to All,

My children have an interest in learning how to shhot a rifle. They are young teenagers and luckily well behaved kids! They have gone through the Cub Scouting program and know how to use a knife, BB gun and bow & arrow. But, now are showing an interest in something with a bit more "kick" like a rifle.

I do not know of any programs of this sort that instruct and allow kids to shoot rifles. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. We live in the Monmouth County area of the State.

Thanks,

Pete

[email protected]

Hello to All,

My children have an interest in learning how to shhot a rifle. They are young teenagers and luckily well behaved kids! They have gone through the Cub Scouting program and know how to use a knife, BB gun and bow & arrow. But, now are showing an interest in something with a bit more "kick" like a rifle.

I do not know of any programs of this sort that instruct and allow kids to shoot rifles. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. We live in the Monmouth County area of the State.

Thanks,

Pete

[email protected]

Pete, is there a local Boy Scout troop nearby they could join? Boy Scouts do both 22 rifles and shotguns in Summer Camps, and there are merit badges for both which they can earn through a merit badge counselor.

If that's not possible, check the ranges near you (perhaps Central Jersey R&PC) for youth days, which are usually open to the public. CJRPC has a few youth programs, but they are only open to members and guests, but youth days are usually open.

You might want to get a FID for yourself so you can buy a 22 rifle (cheap!) that you can use with your boys.

-Dave

Oldbridge rifle and pistol club (www.obrpc.org) runs a youth smallbore league every Thursday except for the first Thursday of the month. The club provides rifles, ammo and instruction. The fee for non-members is something silly like $5.

Welcome to the group.

Kudos to you for encouraging your kids to get into shooting sports. The health and future of recreational shooting in NJ depends on new people joining and participating in the shooting community.

Way north from you, Cherry Ridge range has a youth day where professional instructors help the kids with their shooting skills. According to their posted schedule, this year's Youthfest is on May 7. The entire facility is closed to and the resources are committed to giving the kids a fun and safe introduction to shooting.

There's also a short article about introducing the kids to shooting here (blatant self-promotion):

Introducing Kids to the Shooting Sports

Welcome to the club, short of BB guns, boy scouts was what introduced me to firearms. They offer excellent programs, as do some of your bigger ranges. If you don't shoot yourself, don't be shy, join your kids as it is a great way to spend some quality father-son time together.

I have an old.22 my greatgrandmother gave me, If you have NJFPID card, I will sell it for $25. It has a scope on it, but it is not the best. WOuld be great for kids. I will send a picture if you are interested.

Yes, a vote from me also to join Boy Scouts, My son is an Eagle, and I am one of the leaders, teaches them excellent values also, something that is lacking in today's society, (kids)

Another vote here for joining Boy Scouts. They will get firearm training and if they continue, an Eagle Scout badge goes a long way in the eyes of future employers. Another good option is to take a Hunter Safety Course, and obtain a hunting license. The course is offered to NJ residents free of charge, and youth hunting licenses are free(you must have a license to hunt with them, $28 for adults). Even if they have no interest in hunting, the license allows you to use one of the many Wildlife Management Areas in the state for free. These ranges allow you to shoot rimfire rifles, muzzle-loading rifles, and shotguns. I'd recommend starting with a .22 rifle, and if they want to shoot something with some more kick, a muzzle-loader teaches marksmanship out of necessity, and they can be purchased for $150 all day long. Hope this helps, and welcome to the club!