Sign in to follow this  
njpilot

Money Orders

I just got a money order for pistol permits yesterday and one today for AZ CCW.

Anyone here been asked for ID when purchasing money orders?

I got mine a CVS, yesterday the girl scanned the bar cose on the back of my license and today the kid typed in a bunch of info from my license.

they said a couple of months ago the requirement came out. That the gov't want to know if someone gets a money order for, she thought, more than $5K.

Just another way of the man keeping track of what we do?

I just got a money order for pistol permits yesterday and one today for AZ CCW.

Anyone here been asked for ID when purchasing money orders?

I got mine a CVS, yesterday the girl scanned the bar cose on the back of my license and today the kid typed in a bunch of info from my license.

they said a couple of months ago the requirement came out. That the gov't want to know if someone gets a money order for, she thought, more than $5K.

Just another way of the man keeping track of what we do?

Of the money orders I have seen...you couldnt get one for more than $500...

Besides...your MO for AZ was definitely not more than $5K...

I haven't had to produce ID to buy a money order.

must be new, typically they ask for ID when it's over 1k.. I usually get them from my bank, they never ask for ID, but then again they know who I am and what account they are taking the $$ out of.. I assume you paid cash for yours.. The Feds typically only care about transactions of 10k or more...actually, $9,999.00 or more

must be new, typically they ask for ID when it's over 1k.. I usually get them from my bank, they never ask for ID, but then again they know who I am and what account they are taking the $$ out of.. I assume you paid cash for yours.. The Feds typically only care about transactions of 10k or more...actually, $9,999.00 or more

Yep, aware of the $10K reporting requirement, but was surprised at the money orders for $18 and $60. I have gotten them for a few hundred in the past without an ID check. As far as cash, I have only gotten M.O.s from CVS and the Post Office and neither take credit cards, cash only I believe.

I've obtained MO from the Post Office in the last year or so for permits and was not asked for ID.

I don't normally deal with MO...either online bill pay, check or Credit card. It'd be nice if the state would just accept a CC...but they won't due to the fees and other onerous requirements to accept them.

I'm sure at some point it will become law to provide ID when getting money orders. MOs are a common way for people to avoid taxes. Example, I know someone who owns a small corner store. More than half of his business is cash. He takes some of that cash to buy goods at Costco to sell in the store, soda, candy, etc. No record, no PO, nothing from a distributor that would get reported to the state. The cash that would be his profit he buys money orders with to pay bills, etc. He never deposits the money into a bank account. He actually shows a loss on the business every year. He can do this because his wife has a job and makes pretty good money so they can claim they support the family on her money.

I'm sure at some point it will become law to provide ID when getting money orders.

At some point it will become law to swipe ID to purchase anything. All transactions will be recorded. Most likely in the name of sales tax reciprocity, but the real reason will be control. Government isn't happy with you, you can't buy food until you turn yourself in. Mark my words.

A lot of it depends on how much the money order is for, and how you are paying for it.

I have never heard of money orders for anymore than $1,000. After that, you will need an official check. This does of course vary depending on where you are buying it from, but haven't heard of anything more than $1,000. Any consignment item (money order, official check) purchased with cash is not taken as lightly as ones purchased with a check or from your bank account. I don't really want to give out too many specifics, but for any significant amount, you are better off going to your bank and getting it taken out of your account.

$5k is not the amount like the girl told you.

Seems to be a CVS thing. I ran into the same problem buying MO for permits. CVS was on the way to PD. Asked for driver's license and I offered to show it but told her she could not record the info. Not acceptable, so I walked out. Supermarket next door was only too happy to sell money orders with only greenbacks for ID. I won't buy from stores that require ID for cash purchase!

By the way, this admission of buying money orders does not necessarily mean I bought guns or plan to buy guns. Heaven forbid! :icon_e_surprised:

I'm sure at some point it will become law to provide ID when getting money orders. MOs are a common way for people to avoid taxes. Example, I know someone who owns a small corner store. More than half of his business is cash. He takes some of that cash to buy goods at Costco to sell in the store, soda, candy, etc. No record, no PO, nothing from a distributor that would get reported to the state. The cash that would be his profit he buys money orders with to pay bills, etc. He never deposits the money into a bank account. He actually shows a loss on the business every year. He can do this because his wife has a job and makes pretty good money so they can claim they support the family on her money.

Only problem with this strategy is that Costco records everything you buy though your membership card. The tax people aren't stupid, they know all the tricks people do, if they audit him I wouldn't be surprised if they figure this out.

Seems to be a CVS thing. I ran into the same problem buying MO for permits. CVS was on the way to PD. Asked for driver's license and I offered to show it but told her she could not record the info. Not acceptable, so I walked out. Supermarket next door was only too happy to sell money orders with only greenbacks for ID. I won't buy from stores that require ID for cash purchase!

By the way, this admission of buying money orders does not necessarily mean I bought guns or plan to buy guns. Heaven forbid! :icon_e_surprised:

It's data mining, they are collecting information like every large retailer does nowadays. When I go to Cabelas they ask me for my phone number, I tell them absolutely not.