gunnarsport

MOST beginner friendly range in central nj/east pa?

Hi,

As I start the LONG wait for my first FID and 2 permits to get approved through Robbinsville Twp Police, I have been researching shooting ranges in

about a 25 miles distance from my home in Robbinsville. I want to find a range that the staff is very receptive and friendly to handgun beginners

like me. Im hoping to find a range with no "Im better that you" attitude. A range that is very

professional and encourage beginners.

The 4 ranges I was looking at are....

1. Fort Dix, Wrightstown, NJ

2. Classic Pistol, Bristol, PA

3. Ready, Aim, Fire, Southampton, PA

4. Shore Shot, Lakewood, NJ

I do plan on taking either the NRA FIRST STEP or BASIC PISTOL SHOOTING course in the near future.

Any thoughts??

I enjoy Shore Shot and believe that you will get excellent instruction from the folks there. My advice would be to go at a time that is likely to be less crowded. When there are a lot of people there, instructors can be called to handle Range Officer duty. Weekday afternoons. Call them ahead of time and let them know your needs.

I am a member of Range 14 also, but do not know whether they offer the beginner instruction that you are looking for.

Hi,

As I start the LONG wait for my first FID and 2 permits to get approved through Robbinsville Twp Police, I have been researching shooting ranges in

about a 25 miles distance from my home in Robbinsville. I want to find a range that the staff is very receptive and friendly to handgun beginners

like me. Im hoping to find a range with no "Im better that you" attitude or a range with all muscle head, beer drinking guys. A range that is very

I do plan on taking either the NRA FIRST STEP or BASIC PISTOL SHOOTING course in the near future.

Any thoughts??

Great post and great question. However, I must start off by saying the mentality needs to change a bit.

I would go to a range where there are not a ton of new people.

As long as you are worrying more about being safe than about looking cool, you will be fine. There are no muscle head beer drinking gun owners here. This is not a gym nor a bar. The first thing on anyone's mind is safety.

The very folks that you think are the "muscle head, beer drinking" crowd, are not experienced gun owners, but rather amateurs who might of owned the firearm for 2 years, yet only go out to shoot and practice with once a year to impress a girl.

In any case, do as lunker mentioned. Call the range ahead of time, or when you go there, and let them know you just got your FID, and need someone to keep an eye on you.

Lastly, nobody cares about you at the range. Unless you are there with other forum members or what not, the casual range goers do no give a rats behind about you. When you are there, and especially when you are new, your total priority should be on the safe handling of the firearm, especially once loaded. If for any reason, your firearm is anywhere but the backstop (where you shoot), make sure the gun is pointed down, or better yet in a case. NEVER move a loaded handgun from port to port, (ie you are showing it to a friend to shoot next to you.), and for the love of god/gun, never muzzle sweet anyone (point the muzzle), even if the gun is unloaded. Another best practice... when handling firearms, ie you are showing it to RO, or what not, always lock the slide back to show empty chamber with magazine out.

Otherwise, have fun. If you plan on going, make a post on here, someone may join you.

• Like 1

Thanks maksim,

I agree with you..

Right after I posted, I realized I could have chosen my words a little less harsh. Certainly no offense was intended. I treat everyone with respect.

Its just a silly perception I guess I have in my mind and from pictures I have seen of guys at various ranges. As a professional, educated guy, sometimes

I get falsely intimidated and know I should not think that way.

Im sure Shore Shot is a great range, unfortunately, its just a bit too far of a drive if I really get into this hobby

and want to shoot regularly.

But anyway, thanks for the advice! I have learned just by watching You Tube clips that even though you know 110% that

your handgun is unloaded, thats not good enough. You have to signal to others that its not loaded by always opening the

cylinder when placing the revolver down. Its a good practice to EXAGGERATE safety!

SCF&G is in bridgewater. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Further than you want, but there is no staff, and no range officers to bother you. Just do your thing, safely, and you are OK.

indoor 25 yard pistol, 100 yard underground rifle tunnel, 40 yard archery.

I will throw it from the other perspective... especially at the public ranges, experienced shooters are afraid to go there because of all the new people.

Give you a scenario... this was last year at Ft Dix. Father and Son, young son were shooting in the middle. At one point, the dad hands the son the rifle, and the kid turns it down the line pointed in the direct path of about 15 other people. Obviously the RO started screaming.

While the father knows he is obviously wrong, he might be pissed that the RO was screaming at him... yet he does not realize that if the kid drops the rifle, or what not... he could of kill a dozen people. Same concept at the public ranges where anyone can go rent. What is stopping someone from someone fumbling the gun, and accidentally pulling the trigger? Or what about if someone thinks their gun is empty, take out an empty mag, forget there is one in the chamber, and decide to dry fire it when the gun is out of the port pointing at other people shooting? How many times do they hand a gun to the store employee with one in the chamber?

As scared as you are of others, :girlwerewolf: they are scared of you. =)

In any case, if you need someone to go to the range with, I am usually up for it Tuesday evenings.

Hi,

like me. Im hoping to find a range with no "Im better that you" attitude. A range that is very

Any thoughts??

I took the First Steps course at Gun for Hire and it was excellent! Also did all the paperwork for a FL non-resident concealed carry permit during the 4 hour session.

Hey Maskim,

Your in the next town over from me....Have you ever heard of, or any experience with, a company called Defensive Security? I believe hes in Hightstown and offers full training

and sales. Any experiences, either good or bad? Im looking at his website, seems like a one man operation.

Hi,

Any thoughts??

I think you have range 2 and 3 reversed..Classic Pistol is in Southampton and R.A.F. is in Bristol..

Great post and great question. However, I must start off by saying the mentality needs to change a bit.

I would go to a range where there are not a ton of new people.

As long as you are worrying more about being safe than about looking cool, you will be fine. There are no muscle head beer drinking gun owners here. This is not a gym nor a bar. The first thing on anyone's mind is safety.

Sorry Maks, not all of us are 150 lbs soaking wet w/ bricks in our pockets. :tommy:

If you go to Shore Shot during the day check and see if Phil is there, he is the RO and is fantastic with new people, listen to his advise and comments, he won't steer you wrong.

As far as classes, I can only recommend Gun for Hire and if i moved farther away I would still take the time to go to them, not discounting any of the others here but I have only had dealing with GFH.

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet, but after you have a day at the range, take a you UN loaded gun, check it to make sure, now check it again. Depending on make you may want to use snap caps, but go to the basement, set up target and do what we cal dry fire the gun. This will teach you trigger control and when you start looking this more and start seeing where you have your groups placed on the target, you will see what you need to practice and be cognizant of.

You do have an advantage, as with a lot of new shooters today that find forums like this. You have the chance to get good advise, maybe ask question you may not ask a person face to face, and learn the proper way to do things from the start. It's easier to train yourself to shoot with proper technique as a new shooter than it is for an old shooter of many years and try and correct something. In your mind there is nothing to correct, just concentrate on proper technique.

Welcome to the sport.

Harry

Phil is GREAT at Shore Shot....I am waiting too for my FID and P2P...He instructed on my stance even my shots were tight on the target..Some were high right on the target. He took time to instruct me on technique. I think safety is important and technique. I think alot of us newbies go and just shoot. I try to work on techinique and develop good gun habits. just my $.02..

Thanks,

After a few phone conversations, I have decided between either Shore Shot or Guns for Hire (New South Jersey location) to take my NRA course for pistol.

NRA instructor Bob at Shore Shot seems like a nice guy, and Dan at Guns for Hire, South Jersey, as well. Unfortunately, both of these ranges will be two far of a drive

for me to us as my regular range, so I will first try out Range 14/Fort Dix. I actuallu think I would prefer outdoor shooting anyway.

I was at Shore shot yesterday, it was pretty crowded and Tiny was the RO. There were several new shooter's (no one acting like a douche just inexperienced). Tiny did a great job coaching, helping when there was a problem such as a FTE, and just giving hints on how to shoot better. I have not taken any lessons at Shore Shot, but the RO's there are usually top notch.

I'm gonna try and head to shore shot Thursday or Friday, I still have yet to shoot in jersey, (used to the Las Vegas Desert) so I as well have never shot in a typical range setting, unfortunately work school and getting sh** ready to get hitched have been my top priorities since joining you guys

I was down at Shore SHot yesterday (April 24th) and as usual they are very busy. I haven't met their trainer guy Bob, but the ROs there are good. Gotta love Doug....

best

G

Same, Doug does a good job. Shoreshot is definitely beginner friendly but good for experienced shooters, too.

Thanks,

After a few phone conversations, I have decided between either Shore Shot or Guns for Hire (New South Jersey location) to take my NRA course for pistol.

NRA instructor Bob at Shore Shot seems like a nice guy, and Dan at Guns for Hire, South Jersey, as well. Unfortunately, both of these ranges will be two far of a drive

for me to us as my regular range, so I will first try out Range 14/Fort Dix. I actuallu think I would prefer outdoor shooting anyway.

I did my NRAs first steps pistol class with Art and Dan at South Jersey SC , had a great expierience and learned alot , would highly recomend them if its not too far for ya ...

Ft Dix is a good range and inexpensive to join with full time RO's. Another choice is CJRPC in Jackson. Closer than SS or BA it is a private range so more expensive no RO's and usually not crowded.

CJRPC Closer?... I wish. It's 50 minutes if I drive like a jackass. Still worth it though.