Old Glock guy

Everything is going left. Any advice?

For background, I've been shooting a Glock 23. I've had some basic training. I'll set up in a solid stance, get my arc of motion under control, zero in on the center of the target, squeeze the trigger without anticipation (I think), and BANG!, i see the target is hit to the left. It's not way left, but left of center, in a fairly tight pattern at 5-10 yards. (At 23 yards I'm happy to put some of them inside the silhouette target figure, but that's another story.)

So is that a typical beginner mistake, akin to slicing in golf; or is it possible my sights are off? And if they are, what do I do about it. I guess it would help if I could get someone else to shoot the gun, but I'm kind of new to all this, and so far my trips to the range (Bullethole) have been solo.

I realize this is a real novice question, which is why I've posted it here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Right sided CVA?

Dummy Rounds when loaded by someone else are a great way to see if there is some sort of anticipation, but you need someone to watch the gun - not the target.

Practice the fundimentals with dry firing for a few minutes.

Ensure your sight alignment is correct and that your eye is focused on the front sight, the target should be a little blurry.

Ensure the correct sight picture.

Slowly squeeze the trigger and let the shot surprise you.

Don't forget to follow-up after the shot.

Much of the time when hits are off in the way you are describing it is the result of poor follow through or your eye is focused in the wrong spot.

If you continue to have this problem it could be the sights but as a general rule Glocks sights are zero'd at the factory - not to say they couldn't have been bumped or the gun couldn't have been dropped. I'd rule out human error.

Could be sights, but low/left is common for begginers especially with snappy guns such as the 23. You are anticipating recoil/using too much trigger finger.

Low/left. I'm guilty.

What does using too much trigger finger mean? I just use the tip of my finger and try to pull straight back.

I want to once again thank those of you who offered advice on this. I got over to the Bullet Hole yesterday, and focused on some of your suggestions. I couldn't believe the difference! From about 5 yards, the target looked like Shoot Out the Star. With about 10-15 rounds, I punched out a hole right next to the center of the target. (OK, I'll admit it was still just left of center, but only about an inch or so.) From the back wall (23 yards), I hit the silhouette target 10 times in a row (one was just touching the line; does that count?), whereas last time out I could barely hit it at all.

The two big differences were that I was taking a firmer grip, and trying to focus on a slow, steady squeeze of the trigger. I believe I was previously anticipating the shot. With the stronger grip, I noticed that I also didn't get much of the thumb bruising that I complained about in another thread. So my mantra for now is, "Grip tighter, squeeze lighter."

Much appreciation. OGG

Low/left. I'm guilty.

What does using too much trigger finger mean? I just use the tip of my finger and try to pull straight back.

As the chart say's trigger jerk, I have found and has been mentioned dry fire as a training aid, I am also working on things and I also know when I get it all right I still have to work on them. Yes muscle memory is good but I find that when I am alone at the range (belong to OBRPC so that's often) when I really go back to basics and think about every step as well as follow through I do a lot better. Also as was mentioned if you shot with someone have them load the mags with a snap cap that you have no idea where it is, alone load up a bunch of mags and shuffle them around so you don't know where they are and soot each shot thinking about the basics and see if you do anything different when you encounter a snap cap.

I am not new to shooting, but somewhat new to knowing the correct procedures, I didn't really have any bad habits but a little tweaking here and there was needed and I think is always needed unless you at the performance of the professional shooters.

I also found one more thing that helped, at a range ask the RO or a friend that you feel is competent to watch you shoot and give some advise and take it as that, constructive criticism for your benefit, it's free and can do wonders.

Me personally, in my eyes I am at a level 2 out of 10 for where I would like to be but I grade my self a lot harder than I would others, Plus I'm married and used to it..

:)

Harry

• Like 1

Here's a good drill for that. You can do it at home. Make certain that the gun is empty. Check it again. Hold the muzzle close to a wall. Really close, 1/4 inch. Sight in and press the trigger. You know there will be no recoil so if the sights move, it is you. Do this until you are satisfied that you are not moving off target.

Same here...low left. I noticed an interesting thing though the other night. I was shooting my 9mm for about 30 min (good groupings, but generally low left), then I installed my rimfire conversion kit. I took the first .22 shot and noticed that I pulled the gun upward in anticipation of the 9mm recoil. The first shot was nearly off the paper, then the remainder were all around the center. I was not low left with the .22.