Babaganoosh

Gonna starta a Saiga build

After doing all the research I think I am going to do a Saiga conversion. I just sent out the forum price request. Unless I come across something in the meantime that blows me away and is a great price I am gonna go with the Saiga. It seems like the cost of buying something already done up isn't worth it when I keep hearing how easy it is to convert your own. My only issue is my lack of patience. I want it now and I want to shoot it now!

I am looking to go with a wood foregrip and stock. Keep it traditional. At the most maybe throw a red dot on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated even though some have prob be put in a hundred other threads.

suggestions for what? what do you need suggestions on?

Wood Furniture (Stock, hand guard, pistol grip) (US made 3 US Parts)

Tapco FCG (3 US made parts)

AK47 retaining plate (to hold in the pins)

Ultimak Gas tube (to mount red dot if you feel so inclined at a later date, gives true co-witness)

Carolina Shooter Supply bolt on lower hand guard retainer

pistol grip nut/bushing and pistol grip bolt (if not included with furniture)

what magazines you want to use?

Saiga specific - no modification needed (OEM Saiga mags and Saiga Surefire mags)

Military surplus - Bullet guide needed

you will also need a few little odds and ends.... dremel... heavy duty flat black spray paint.... plugs for the extra holes that are left open...

We should do a "build a Saiga class" like they do a "build an AR class" lol

• Like 1

For the moment being I plan on using the propietary Saiga mags. That or the surefire I have been reading about.

I was looking for suggestions on what places to order from. Can I get everything from one spot or do I have to order from multiple orders?

On the FCG. I see most everyone uses tapco. Is there a step up in that category?

I'm not saying price is no object, but would rather buy higher quality pieces originally rather than upgrade later when I see better stuff. So basically looking for higher end components. Not necassarily the highest end stuff, but up there.

For the moment being I plan on using the propietary Saiga mags. That or the surefire I have been reading about.

I was looking for suggestions on what places to order from. Can I get everything from one spot or do I have to order from multiple orders?

On the FCG. I see most everyone uses tapco. Is there a step up in that category?

I'm not saying price is no object, but would rather buy higher quality pieces originally rather than upgrade later when I see better stuff. So basically looking for higher end components. Not necassarily the highest end stuff, but up there.

the Tapco FCG is so light and smooth it will likely scare the **** out of you....

I purchased everything for my Saigas from Dinzag and Ultimak directly.. Dinzag can take a while but he has good prices and is a reputable vendor..

Dinzag

Ultimak

CSS

those are the vendors I would use.. they all seem to be decent... if you are just using Saiga specific mags make sure you make your parts count up elsewhere (furniture and fire control group is a good place IMO) you can actually modify the 10 round Saiga mag to hold about 13 which makes a nice short mag with a slightly increased capacity..

being I have been looking into new things, I have been looking at the saiga's.

How hard is a conversion and how much $$?

Not looking to do anything yet, just looking for the future.

being I have been looking into new things, I have been looking at the saiga's.

How hard is a conversion and how much $$?

Not looking to do anything yet, just looking for the future.

all depends on who you are and what your skill set is.. I have done a bunch and about to do 2 more.. if you have good mechanical/firearms know how.. you should be good to go.. if you are terrible with stuff like that.. then it is likely not for you.. lol the first one was a little scary but nothing too hard.. and even now a few of the steps can be tedious and annoying.. but overall now I find them fun..

as far as the how much you can be as mild or extreme as you want.. my build would probably cost $1700 to replicate? but that includes everything.. optics.. magazines.. but you can convert one for a hell of a lot less than that.. I would honestly buy used for the base gun if you can save money there..

I ordered from Carolina Shooting Supply, and can vouch that they have good service and products. The Tapco G2 FCG is great. Carolina Shooting Supply also has kits that include the retaining plate for the pins and the plugs for the holes left over. The kits they sell include everything you need for the conversion, and the only other thing you need is furniture. It makes the process much easier. However I don't think they have much of a selection on wood furniture, if any at all.

Bry@n, the process is really easy, and can be done in about an hour or two if you take your time. I built my rifle for ~$650 all in. That was after 3 mags, a second pistol grip, all shipping and rifle included. One could be built for cheaper.

keep in mind that while the process is normally straight forward there are little things of annoyance that can hang you up.. some receivers don't have the square pistol grip holes pre-made so it will be necessary to cut a square hole in the hard steel receiver.. the BHO feature if you decide to retain it can be tricky.. if you do install the bullet guide make sure you go really slow as many people have ended up with broken bits stuck in the gun... but as stated.. if you are mechanical it is fairly straight forward.. if you are not.. then yeah you will likely have some small issues..

the one Thing i will always remember from my build is to go slow, every time I rushed I made mistakes, luckily my mistake weren't catastrophic, I was lucky. just don't get anxious, and take your time, go slow...

i actually JUST scored big on Gunbroker...i got a sar 2 for $155...needs a stock and trigger group...

Tapco G2 is the best bang for the buck for trigger groups. Stocks, anything will work.

I have a SAR-2, they are great and hard to find now. Actually is a collectable

The 7.62. If you do a 5.45 will regular ole .223 or 5.56 ammo work?

NONONO!

TOTALLY different rounds. its like asking if 30-06 will fit in a saiga because they are both 7.62. 5.45x39 does not interchange at all with 5.56x45. Trying to do so could be disasterous

I am also contemplating doing this.

I'm on the fence of doing it myself, or having a service to do it. Pro's and con's for both. I was checking out Rifle Dynamics for their conversion service. It costs $$ , but looking at the $700 (full conversion) service, they do quite a bit of work, including media blasting, parkerizing, and moly resin coating. The refinishing type of service alone is worth typically $200 +. I'm sure they will pin/weld a brake for a reasonable fee as well.

May be worth checking out here

I am also contemplating doing this.

I'm on the fence of doing it myself, or having a service to do it. Pro's and con's for both. I was checking out Rifle Dynamics for their conversion service. It costs $$ , but looking at the $700 (full conversion) service, they do quite a bit of work, including media blasting, parkerizing, and moly resin coating. The refinishing type of service alone is worth typically $200 +. I'm sure they will pin/weld a brake for a reasonable fee as well.

May be worth checking out here

it is an AK with a durable finish already... the area that becomes exposed (not painted) in the conversion process is VERY minimal.... there is really no need to go refinishing the entire rifle.. you could net a great shooting gun with far less invested IMO..

I would add the caveat that before doing any conversion do a complete function check (to include shooting the rifle) in the off chance you get a vodka special. At the saiga forum one guy immediately tore apart his new saiga (he'd converted others before) and it wasn't until he was almost done before he learned that his rails were out of spec. RAA was nice enough to cover the expense of fixing it though.

Also, I seriously recommend everyone who owns a saiga do at least one conversion. The AK is the simplest weapon system out there. The internals are really nothing more than chunks of metal, bent wire, and springs.