gunnarsport

What accessories do I need?

Hi,

As I should be getting my FID card and 2 permits in about a week, I am looking to start purchasing the accessories I will need to transport handguns

discreetly and safely to the range. Im assuming everyone uses a good quality range bag to carry 2 handguns, ammo, ear and eye protection and

targets?

Any advice on great source to purchase these accessories...E-Bay, Midway, Cabelas? Any other stuff you think I might need? Also, suggestions on a small safe to store two handguns and get be mounted to floor or recessed into wall.

Do most guys own their ear mugs/plugs, as opposed to renting them?

i have a midwayusa range bag. $39.99 for the larger one that should give you more room than you'll need.

I have earmuffs that i bought from amazon- low profile ones.

I also bought a simple cleaning kit when I first started out.

Check out LA Police gear for their Bail out bag at $19.99, carries all of my gear and then some.Sportsman guide and Midway has just about everything else but Midways shipping is somewhat more expensive.

• Like 1

If you have a small gym bag, that seems to work fine for a gun or two. I didn't skimp on ear protection. For just a few bucks more, I was able to get ones that protected much better. They're a bit large, and probably goofy looking, but I'm not too concerned with my appearance when I'm at the range. For eye protection, I just wear wraparound, light-colored sunglasses. Unless one comes with your gun, you will need a cleaning kit and various products, like Ballistol.

Good luck! What are you getting?

Glock Guy,

Thanks....

My plan is to purchase 2 revolvers with my first 2 permits...Smith & Wessen Model 67 .38,(possibly the Ruger GP 100 4" and only shot .38s) and a nice used S&W .22 revolver, unsure which one yet.

I figure this is a good choice to start into this hobby. Than, in about 6 months, get one more permit and purchase either the Beretta 92FS, or the

CZ 85B, I am a LEFTY, so these two models have the ambidextrous controls.

Those Howard Lieght Electronic muffs look great, love the slim design and the green color.

Hi,

As I should be getting my FID card and 2 permits in about a week, I am looking to start purchasing the accessories I will need to transport handguns

discreetly and safely to the range. Im assuming everyone uses a good quality range bag to carry 2 handguns, ammo, ear and eye protection and

targets?

Any advice on great source to purchase these accessories...E-Bay, Midway, Cabelas? Any other stuff you think I might need? Also, suggestions on a small safe to store two handguns and get be mounted to floor or recessed into wall.

Do most guys own their ear mugs/plugs, as opposed to renting them?

I bought a large one of these LLBean Range Bags. If anything happens (breaks) to it they'll replace it.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59171?feat=sr&freeText=range bag

The large LL Bean bag accomodates two handguns, cleaning supplies including hand towels, ear plugs, glasses, holster, 6 magazines and ammo I'm taking to the range. It also has a clasp that will accomodate a lock.

You should check out the GunVault Deluxe 2000. It will hold 2-3 handguns and several magazines.

http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All+Products

Glock Guy,

Thanks....

My plan is to purchase 2 revolvers with my first 2 permits...Smith & Wessen Model 67 .38, and a nice used S&W .22 revolver, unsure which one yet.

I figure this is a good choice to start into this hobby. Than, in about 6 months, get one more permit and purchase either the Beretta 92FS, or the

CZ 85B and be set for a while. I am a LEFTY, so these two models have the ambidextrous controls!

Those Howard Lieght Electronic muffs look great, love the slim design and the green color!

You will love the Leight's... just make sure you mark your name on them since several forum members have the same muffs. Also, they are a bit light on hearing protection for a crowded indoor range, which is why i double-up inside.

Are they other ear muffs with the slim design that will offer more protection indoors than the Howard Leights? I dont wanna have to double up if

I dont have too.

The LL Bean is a NICE looking bag.

I am glad I got the large one. The small one would not hold what I need. With the large one I can even roll up 11 x 17 targets and tuck them inside across the top of the gear.

Buy a gun because you want it, not because everyone else has something else. =)

This is not high school, if alot of folks have it, must be a reason. =)

in either case, for a lefty, the CZ 85B is best, as it is ambidextrous. Look at Walther's, Hk's, as they are fully ambi, with mag releases on both sides.

• Like 1

Which ever you end up with plugs and muffs glasses bags mats cleaning supplies locking decided cases etc are all things that are fairly universal get things in your price range. People can correct if wrong but accessories especially when you physically have the two weapons are almost never settled. You add remove tweak upgrade replace etc you have found an expensive hobby.

I also forgot to mention ammo that always helps to

I bought these for the range, I think they offer really good protection and you can listen to music while you shoot! That's probably not a good thing to do though.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O

I also bought peltor earplugs as added protection but I rarely need to use them ,depending on the guns you own and variations of ammo, the Cabela's dry box is nice for the range. If you buy bulk ammo from them the box is included its worth it for the box I think.

I dont have a suggestion for a range bag since im still in the market for one.

Take up scuba next for the trifecta of gear intensive past times.

Surfing and motorcycles complete my financial demise. Add in that my son is now surfing and shooting and my two oldest girls are now into shooting as well. I need to find a job where I can buy ammo with employee discounts.

Surfing and motorcycles complete my financial demise. Add in that my son is now surfing and shooting and my two oldest girls are now into shooting as well. I need to find a job where I can buy ammo with employee discounts.

I guess I should consider myself fortunate. My other passion is running, which is dirt cheap: a few pairs of shoes, some clothes, and an occasional race entrance fee. I was a golf fanatic for many, many years, and shooting seems inexpensive compared to that. Plus, no wife or kids, (although I do take my wonderful GF out a lot; wish I could get her to come to the range with me, but so far NG). So that leaves lots of dough for guns and ammo. :icon_e_wink:

This thread seems to have taken a turn - a rather interesting one at that. I have two other drains on my income - pool and pottery. You may think that pool isn't all that big a drain - table time and maybe a cue and that's about it. I have about a dozen full-out custom cues that range upward to $2K per, with the average probably in the $800 to $1200 range. I have had a $30K cuestick in my hands, but they cease to become functional objects (not that they aren't) and become objects de art. I number quite a few well-known custom cuemakers among my friends.

The second is pottery - contemporary Native American or Southwest pottery. I prefer pottery made in the traditional way - coil & pinch, fired in a dung fire, not thrown on a wheel and baked in a kiln. Part of the joy in collecting is simply finding good pieces, here in the east. About every ten years or so we venture to Santa Fe, but that becomes sensory overload.

Maybe we should split this thread off and retitle it "Where My Money Goes"

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob your right, pool can be expensive, I was more active in playing in the 80's 90' and early 00's, just did the APA league stuff, team play was ok, but being a member qualified me to shoot in the singles, HLT's. Made the nationals in Vegas about 6 times over 8 years in team play, and 4 or 5 times, can't remember in singles play. Never good enough or had the time to take it to the next level and team play wasn't that great with the ranking system, most weeks I couldn't play because my ranking was too high and either I played a match and we had to forfeit one because we couldn't keep the total ranking inside the allowable range.

I was lucky in having friends with tables and being able to put in 15 to 20 hours a week practicing, did my fare share of pool hall time and that's not cheap. Cues, well I'll just say you have me beat by a long shot, sold most of my stuff and just down to 2 main cues, breaker and jump cue for a total of a little over a grand. Nothing real great but they work for me.

Now I have a pool table in my basement that See's me on it on average about an hour a week and as you know that's not enough to keep in practice, just for fun now.

Oh I did play Ms. Lee once in Vegas in the practice rooms, 9 ball, I got to shoot only because it was alternating breaks and our race to 9 I got 2 racks only because I ran out, other than that, I just watched, didn't mind watching either. It was something to play someone of that caliber and had a blast.

Harry

I am a LEFTY, so these two models have the ambidextrous controls.

I would not stress out over the ambi controls on the pistol.

1. Trigger - is am ambidextrous on all models :)

2. Slide Lock - There are better ways to release your slide than fumbling with a slide lock whether you are lefty or a righty .

3. Mag release button - I actually believe that the standard (righty) mag release is more ergonomic for lefties. It can be operated with either you trigger finger or your middle finger depending on what is more comfortable for you. I use the middle finger. IMHO on most firearms I have to shift my grip to get to the mag release with my thumb. Given all sorts of enlarged buttons I see people use in competition, I am not alone. As a lefty I have never had a need for one of those.