Turbotezza

12ga Ladies shotgun recommendation

If she NEEDS 12ga, I would seriously suggest a semi-auto. 12ga isn't that easy to handle, and I don't know how a small woman would do with it. Semi-auto shotguns tend to absorb the recoil better, and can be had with the price range you are looking for. The 1100 or 11-87 are great guns.

Haha. She didn't actually say she needed it to be a 12ga, that was my idea. LOL! She's fired my 12ga OU and does ok with it, but would indeed prefer a semi auto.

If she NEEDS 12ga, I would seriously suggest a semi-auto. 12ga isn't that easy to handle, and I don't know how a small woman would do with it. Semi-auto shotguns tend to absorb the recoil better, and can be had with the price range you are looking for. The 1100 or 11-87 are great guns.

I'm not that good with semi-autos, I am more into pumps, but I'd suggest anything with a short LOP. Something more specific like a 'youth' would probably be good for her, as it will probably be difficult for her to shoot a full size shotgun. My girlfriend is 5'2 as well and all of my full size shotguns are way too long for her, but the Mossy Super Bantam fit her perfect.

+2 on a 20 ga. I'd recommend a Beretta AL390/391 or Rem. 1100. You can find either one used but in good shape for less than your budgeted amount. Both are light and durable and their gas operation make them easy on the shoulder for both short to sustained shooting sessions.

I'm not that good with semi-autos, I am more into pumps, but I'd suggest anything with a short LOP. Something more specific like a 'youth' would probably be good for her, as it will probably be difficult for her to shoot a full size shotgun. My girlfriend is 5'2 as well and all of my full size shotguns are way too long for her, but the Mossy Super Bantam fit her perfect.

What dis guy said, perfect papi!

20 gauge for the ladies is recommended.... what comes to mind is a franchi in semi-auto..with the ported barrel and the impact reducing system...she will enjoy shooting it. i think their prices are in the 6-7 range....nice and light also....

Ports are nothing but a gimmick and a cleaning headache

This is the route I went for my wife... Mossberg Super Bantam 500 20g... but it didn't work out so well for me. The fit is good with the short LOP, and it's a nice lightweight gun... but it's so lightweight that it doesn't absorb ANY recoil - even to me, it feels a little "snapier" than some of my 12 gauge guns. Now, I will admit that my wife has problems with long guns in general.. she just can't seem to shoulder them correctly no matter how I try to explain it to her, so her issues go deeper than just recoil. But anyway, sometimes smaller and lightweight doesn't solve the problem. I see a semi-auto 20 in my future...

Now, I will admit that my wife has problems with long guns in general.. she just can't seem to shoulder them correctly no matter how I try to explain it to her

Pete - perhaps all of the explanation in the world will not make up for inadequate muscle strength in a critical area?? (seriously)

Pete - perhaps all of the explanation in the world will not make up for inadequate muscle strength in a critical area?? (seriously)

There are definitely some strength issues, but the problem with her is that she can't seem to figure out how to get her cheek on the stock. Even when I hold the gun for her to eliminate any complaints about weight and have her get into position she keeps trying to tilt her head to get behind the sights. Luckily she does ok with handguns, so it's not a complete failure :)