so would a saiga 12 converted to a ak stock be legal? it would have 2 evil features at that poing...detachable mag and a pistol grip

Semi-auto shotguns can NOT have a pistol grip in NJ. Shotguns have different rules than rifles in NJ.

no.. AFAIK in NJ ALL guns have a 15 round MAX... shotguns then have different rules..

Only semi mags are restricted.

A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.
"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

so wait you can have a level gun with whatever capacity you want?

did not know that..

According to the law yes. Theoretically, you can legally own a +15 round magazine provided it does not operate in any SA gun ever made. For example, some esoteric 50 round drum magazine for some WW2 FA only subgun in which a SA model was never made. Not worth the hassle, but would be legal.

Just picture what could be accomplished if the restrictions on shotguns were lifted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdb_G2qqg7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This gun makes me happier then any other gun I can think off.

But as far as the ak style shotgun I wanted to order one from red jacket but unfortunately yes they are illegal in nj.