Sign in to follow this  
Old School

AR Parts Accu Wedge

They don't do much. The upper to lower fit are not that critical to anything, and you are justing adding bits of rubber that can break and get into your trigger group. If you really want to tighten up your upper to lower, then take a look at JP rear tensioning pin or the two different ones that Demon Tactical offers

Since receiver wobble has very little to do with real-world accuracy, the accuwedge device would be the way to go. Having a tight receiver connection is more of a mental thing than a practical thing. Those devices you suggested are over-engineered and are unnecessary. I certainly wouldn't want my receiver to be locked together and require a tool to be taken down. I'd pick a$5 bit of rubber over $50 of unnecessary hardware any day.

I would really avoid getting an Accuwedge, Frank. There is nothing wrong with wobble-- in fact most ARs, regardless of their initial fit/tightness, will develop the wobble over time.

This wobble does not affect accuracy from a technical aspect. Maybe the rattle will cause a mental anxiety of sorts (it did for me originally), but that's cheaper to fix then whatever it costs for a piece of rubber.

And yes, Accuwedges can break apart, and make a soup sandwich out of the FCG. Chances of it happening vary, but would I want to deal with that, even on a range gun, if its avoidable?

IMO, save the pocket change.

I use an Accuwedge. I think its a great product. I can't see how it would come apart and get in your FCG. It's wedged in there really tight under the rear take-down pin. I suppose it is possible for it to come out and cause problems, but I have never experienced it. I had to cut mine down to get the perfect fit. Takes care of the wobble anxiety. Its not for accuracy as other's pointed out, its kinda like that dashboard rattle in a car ... very annoying but doesn't affect how the car drives.

I dont give a sh!t what the armalite report or whatever report says. I will never be convinced that the wobble has 0 impact on accuracy. Low impact on practicle accuracy maybe but no way its 0. At any rate, I actually like the accuwedge just to take up the slop in a loose gun. Doesnt hurt anything and takes away an annoyance/distraction. Had one on my desk but I think the dog got it!!!! I wasnt going to try and retrieve it :D

• Like 1

Have there been instances where an accuwedge has caused problems by disintegrating? A quick googling did not turn anything up.

Like i said, it's more of a mental thing. No one wants to have "play" in their $1K+ weapon even if there is no effect on accuracy. The accuwedge is the way to go if you are trying to solve that particular issue.

Those aftermarket pins/levers are over-complicated. I do not want a pin that needs to be unscrewed with a tool (JP pin), or have a HUGE (relatively speaking) QD lever sticking out the left side of my rifle that will get caught on **** and/or have to use a spent casing(also a tool) to "unlock" my receivers (Demon products).

But why introduce a solution to a non-problem? A solution that *can* cause actual issues? It just seems counter-intuitive.

I have to disagree. It's kinda like the BAD lever on your AR. It's just something else to break and put your gun out of commission.

It's funny as I just recommended these wedges to a forum member this morning.

I have to disagree. It's kinda like the BAD lever on your AR. It's just something else to break and put your gun out of commission.

It's funny as I just recommended these wedges to a forum member this morning.

I don't know what you're referring to, Ray. If a BAD lever becomes damaged, it can be removed with no impact to the rifle. Even if the lever were to be bent or whatever, the bolt catch can still be manipulated. Heck, even with the BAD lever attached as-is, the bolt catch can still be manipulated normally. So, no, a BAD lever in any form would not cause catastrophic failure (unless it somehow rips off the whole bolt catch, which seems doubtful as the BAD lever would probably snap off first).

I still stand by my notion that introducing foreign objects, that are capable of wear and tear, to the internals that if manipulated could cause catastrophic failure is a bad idea.

Do I believe that magically putting an Accuwedge into an AR will automatically cause the rifle to seize working properly? That the red rubber fairy will trot on by and blow up said rifle? No and no. And, honestly, I could give a damn if a person opts to put an Accuwedge in their rifle. Understand that I never said that it would be the worst thing ever to occur in the history of human civilization. Instead I was suggesting, from the get-go, that the action in doing so would not be the most prudent [logical].

If a person opts to for peace of mind, sure, fine, I don't care. If a person thinks it will make their rifle more accurate, sure, I don't care (though I'd bet that for most all of us our rifles out-shoot us, so, this argument is mostly invalid). Speaking from applied experience, I am aware of and, for the most part, apply the KISS concept. Which, regarding the Accuwedge, deems it not unholy or sacrilegious-- but unnecessary.

Regardless, its the user's choice-- and I absolutely respect that. I have only been trying to lend the opposition to what would otherwise be a chorus of red rubber lovers.

• Like 1

I have never seen an accuwedge cause an issue. I have however seen bad levers take rifles out of commision on the line. Think about it this way, if there was no accuracy impact, why would the likes of LMT develop a proprietary process for the fitting of the LMT MWS uppers and lowers together? The fit on my MWS upper and lower was a bank vault. This was the same for my GAP AR10 that printed under 1.5 inches @ 300 yds. It was also true of the OBR I put 5 rounds through at 100 for a .346" group. So I think the seperation between absolute accuracy and practical accuracy needs to be made. I dont use an accuwedge for accuracy because frankly if the rifle needs it, its in the practical accuracy catagory so I use it just to take out the slop. But like I said mines lost NBD. If I get around to aquiring another one or find it in an old dried up dog turd, ill put it back in :D

A rifle built from the ground up to achieve high levels of accuracy isn't an arbitrary AR, Shane, I think that's a given. But you're right, there is a difference between those types of accuracies, and, honestly, I don't see OBR or MWS as just "another AR." If a person is looking to shoot a rifle for pure accuracy, then why they would choose an AR is head-scratching.

I'm curious though, Shane, which catastrophic failures have you seen attributed to the BAD-type lever (and the other types out there)? I'm aware that there are cases of the bolt failing to lock back, but I haven't heard of anything catastrophic. I do sincerely want to know so I can re-assess my usage of it!

As for the Accuwedge, if it needs to be modded in some cases, doesn't that also mean its capable of getting dislodged? Maybe not necessarily blowing up and disintegrating into a million pieces hellbent on wreaking havoc. But I could see how a dislodged piece of rubber could mess with some internals causing said havoc.

I believe the wedge does have an impact on accuracy, especially at long range as the cant will effect the bullet impact point. It may be small, but it is there.

And besides, nobody likes things that wobble, it just doesn't give the impression of quality.

As supplied the wedges have lots of extra material to account for the differences in receivers, so much filing/dremeling will be needed.

The material used is more rubber than plastic, so chunks braking off is unlikely in the firearm. However, I would probably replace it every few years just in case age or solvent has affected it somehow.

A rifle built from the ground up to achieve high levels of accuracy isn't an arbitrary AR, Shane, I think that's a given. But you're right, there is a difference between those types of accuracies, and, honestly, I don't see OBR or MWS as just "another AR." If a person is looking to shoot a rifle for pure accuracy, then why they would choose an AR is head-scratching.

I'm curious though, Shane, which catastrophic failures have you seen attributed to the BAD-type lever (and the other types out there)? I'm aware that there are cases of the bolt failing to lock back, but I haven't heard of anything catastrophic. I do sincerely want to know so I can re-assess my usage of it!

As for the Accuwedge, if it needs to be modded in some cases, doesn't that also mean its capable of getting dislodged? Maybe not necessarily blowing up and disintegrating into a million pieces hellbent on wreaking havoc. But I could see how a dislodged piece of rubber could mess with some internals causing said havoc.

Ben I hope I didnt give the impression I was directing anything your way, more at that report that came out claiming zero accuracy impact. Bolderdash I say :D As for the bad levers, Im not sure what the malf was, only that it somehow bound up the rifle in a string of fire. Seen it a couple times now. Didnt get to post mortem since I was usually on deck. Didnt care nough to chase down the person who had the trouble because honestly, the bad lever just looks like trouble to me. :superstition:

From all i have ever read it provides no additional accuracy. It makes you feel better i guess becasue there is no "play". The guys who **** and cry about their upper and lower having some play are usually the ones who never take it out and use it.

Ben I hope I didnt give the impression I was directing anything your way, more at that report that came out claiming zero accuracy impact. Bolderdash I say :D As for the bad levers, Im not sure what the malf was, only that it somehow bound up the rifle in a string of fire. Seen it a couple times now. Didnt get to post mortem since I was usually on deck. Didnt care nough to chase down the person who had the trouble because honestly, the bad lever just looks like trouble to me. :superstition:

Ha, no worries Shane, I misread you and realized, now, that we both agree on the end results. So, sorry about that for only reiterating your post.

As for the BAD, yea, it makes me uneasy sometimes, especially if it gets loose. It goes from being a relatively streamlined piece of kit to a dangling piece of kit/liability real quick, and that is worrisome. I'll do some more researching, and maybe kick some bushes if I still can't find anything more.

From all i have ever read it provides no additional accuracy. It makes you feel better i guess becasue there is no "play". The guys who **** and cry about their upper and lower having some play are usually the ones who never take it out and use it.

You got me, I don't like upper/lower play when I'm fondling my AR at home, was the main reason I installed the wedge.:picknose:

Im not sure what the malf was, only that it somehow bound up the rifle in a string of fire. Seen it a couple times now. Didnt get to post mortem since I was usually on deck. Didnt care nough to chase down the person who had the trouble because honestly, the bad lever just looks like trouble to me. :superstition:

So really it could have been anything from bad mags, to improper assembly, and then all the way to bent ammo. I too am curious why you thing that external lever can actually break a rifle, seeing how ALL it does is activate the bolt release. How does activating the bolt release case any major malfs or how does the lever do anything but activate the bolt release.

I have seen a BAD lever related malf, but that was user error well in advance. The shooter tried to fit it to a out of spec bolt release, and took a file to the bolt release, weakened it, and then applied the extra torque of the BAD lever which did break the bolt release. I'm not blaming that on the lever.

The only BAD lever problem I can think of is that you get used to its much friendlier manual of arms and you might be a bit slower if you had to use a rifle without one. It will come back to you.

Back on topic though I will bet you that any accuracy increase from the wedge is not from fit. There are two things that come into play if you are looking more extreme accuracy that slop may affect. First would be consistent trigger feel and lock time. If the hammer drops ever so slightly differently on the firing pin maybe you could tell the difference, but I doubt it. The second issue would be consistent eye placement behind a scope. Your head is indexed of the lower receiver, and your scope of the upper. Again, I think the possible error induced by this is far outweighed by anything the shooter does.

At the end of the day it does nothing to help me. A BAD lever does actually do something that is beneficial to quick rifle manipulation. I'll pick something that does something other then improve my pride of ownership as much as a "New Car Smell" car deodorizer does for an older car. Your rifle is still loose, you just stuck something in there to make you feel better. My rifle is loose, and I couldn't care less.

No the problem was the lever. In both cases they yanked it and the rifles ran fine the rest of the course. I would rather run 1 second slower then have a device that could tie up my rifle.

Ok so I'm confused. What symptoms where the rifles showing? You wrote:

I have however seen bad levers take rifles out of commision on the line.

How where they out of commission? I understand you didn't debug the problem directly, but what seemed to be the problem? Double feeds, no feed, what?