bulpup

LAPD copter shot

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/24/california.chopper.shot/index.html?hpt=T2

Not much to say here, guy shoots at police helo with a rifle and it has to land. It is taken away on a flat bed. Family subdues the guy.

Get ready for more .50 cal bans.

A little more info

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/04/helicopter_shot_lapd_angeles.php

LAPD Helicopter Makes Emergency Landing After Being Shot Over Van Nuys: Teen Suspect Danny Lopez in Custody

Aircraft over L.A. have had trouble with idiots aiming their laser pointers at pilots. Now, cops say, someone shot at, and hit, an LAPD helicopter over the weekend.

After an officer on the ground reportedly saw smoke coming from the chopper, it made an emergency landing at Van Nuys Airport -- and nobody was hurt. The aircraft lost power but made it down safely.

The shooter, police say, was actually caught with the help of his family:

Eighteen-year-old Danny Lopez was held by family members as officers cuffed him. They said he was distraught over the death of a friend.

It all started about 6 a.m. Sunday when cops received calls of gunfire near Saticoy Street and Densmore Avenue, according to the LAPD. The air unit responded too, and police spotted a suspect -- ostensibly the person who inspired the original shots-fired call -- shooting at it, Capt. John Egan told KTLA News.

The officers in the A-Star American Eurocopter were unharmed, but City News Service described the landing as "perilous:"

... It made an ``auto-rotation'' landing on the apron at a charter jet service, Clay Lacy Aviation, on the airport's east side. An auto-rotation landing means the pilot was able to steer only by using air passing through powerless blades, as the aircraft descended.

Lopez was caught shortly after 7 a.m., but police stayed in the area because they received another report of a gunman on the loose (seems possible to us it was the same suspect).

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/24/california.chopper.shot/index.html?hpt=T2

Not much to say here, guy shoots at police helo with a rifle and it has to land. It is taken away on a flat bed. Family subdues the guy.

Get ready for more .50 cal bans.

A little more info

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/04/helicopter_shot_lapd_angeles.php

Didn't see anything in the story about a .50 cal. .50s are already banned in CA.

I read in the LA times that the shooter managed to puncture a fuel tank.

I'm sure this individual was not quite the upstanding legal firearms owning type. Unfortunatly some media will use this in their guns are bad bashing that gets all the sheeple upset at law abiding citizens like us. Its a shame people have become so easily fooled and just love to jump on the "guns are bad" wagon. Sad indeed..

Ken

I'm surprised the chopper took enough damage to require an auto rotation landing :X Lucky nobody was hurt.

Seen many practice sessions of auto rotation landings over the years, and while I just love doing stalls, auto rotation is not one I want to ever do. I know they are very safe but I need wings when I fly.

Harry

What happens with the laser calls?

Documented, tracked, and resolution if any noted.

Lets just say, you really don't want to be caught shooting a laser at an aircraft, passenger, cargo, general aviation.

Also you don't want to be on an A/C that gets hit by one and know it, not knowing it no big deal, but let me say, if your on the flight deck and you see a dot on a panel or it refracting through any of the windows is a little unnerving especially when you below 2000 feet.

Harry

Documented, tracked, and resolution if any noted.

Lets just say, you really don't want to be caught shooting a laser at an aircraft, passenger, cargo, general aviation.

Also you don't want to be on an A/C that gets hit by one and know it, not knowing it no big deal, but let me say, if your on the flight deck and you see a dot on a panel or it refracting through any of the windows is a little unnerving especially when you below 2000 feet.

Harry

not that i have any plans on doing so, or whatever, but how do they tack it? like if a kid when in his backyard and did it, how would they track him? whats the law against it?

not that i have any plans on doing so, or whatever, but how do they tack it? like if a kid when in his backyard and did it, how would they track him? whats the law against it?

Guh, totally not in the mood to go searching but im pretty sure there are laws against pointed them at people in NJ, and i believe the FDA has federal regulations as well.

To be honest the only reports are probably from helicopters, which are pretty damn good at locating things on the ground and can fly low enough to even be effected by a laser. And the source of the beam is a dead give away and sticks out like a soar thumb. The FAA is also a no BS organization and probably has some serious procedure in place when something like this happens.

Location pinpointed as close as passable, and tracked for day time or other similarity that may fit a trend. Not sure what local law enforcement may do but pretty much that's what's done on the ATC/Airline side.

Harry

Location pinpointed as close as passable, and tracked for day time or other similarity that may fit a trend. Not sure what local law enforcement may do but pretty much that's what's done on the ATC/Airline side.

Harry

Depending on Atmospheric conditions you can see the beam a lot of the times..plus it seems to be one of those thigns that people dont just do once.. Then they end up looking at federal charges..IIRC it falls unde "Interfering with Air Travel" or somesuch.

I can't imagine that buying a laser that powerful is cheap, and also there must be some kind of "pointing" mechanism.....meaning it's obviously not a handheld device as they wouldn't know where it was pointed at. I can't believe some people are THAT bored. I mean how simple does someones mind have to be that they say: "Hey, let's invest several hundred dollars in a laser pointer, and point it at planes."

I can't imagine that buying a laser that powerful is cheap, and also there must be some kind of "pointing" mechanism.....meaning it's obviously not a handheld device as they wouldn't know where it was pointed at. I can't believe some people are THAT bored. I mean how simple does someones mind have to be that they say: "Hey, let's invest several hundred dollars in a laser pointer, and point it at planes."

MOST of the issue iw with the Green laser pointers, not with the usual ones you buy at the dollar store, those can be had for less than $100.00 or, if you catch it right on some of the discount websites you can get them MUCh cheaper than that.

MOST of the issue iw with the Green laser pointers, not with the usual ones you buy at the dollar store, those can be had for less than $100.00 or, if you catch it right on some of the discount websites you can get them MUCh cheaper than that.

Regardless of price, that doesn't have much bearing on the thought process. Anyone with a mind so simple that is entertained by pointing a laser at a plane......they just weren't raised correctly.