Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

driving to Myrtle Beach, SC

Im planning on going to Myrtle Beach in August for vacation. Can I bring my G27 and leave it in my hotel room? I have a FL, VA, AZ & Maine CC non-resident ccw permits but SC does not recognize Non-Resident permits. I will be driving thru DE, MD, VA & NC. I wont be stopping in Maryland, so Im not concerned about driving thru packing (i kno the routine). Everyone else recognizes my permits.

My biggest concern would be driving late at night to SC, since we will leaving NJ around 9-10 pm. I dont want to become a statistic in case we have car trouble, etc. Im not sure about legally posessing a handgun in SC, just not carrying it concealed. Any thoughts?

Im planning on going to Myrtle Beach in August for vacation. Can I bring my G27 and leave it in my hotel room? I have a FL, VA, AZ & Maine CC permits but SC does not recognize Non-Resident permits. I will be driving thru DE, MD, VA & NC. I wont be stopping in Maryland, so Im not concerned about driving thru packing (i kno the routine). Everyone else recognizes my permits.

My biggest concern would be driving late at night to SC, since we will leaving NJ around 9-10 pm. I dont want to become a statistic in case we have car trouble, etc. Im not sure about legally posessing a handgun in SC, just not carrying it concealed. Any thoughts?

Does a cage fighter need protection? =@ =@ =@

You may transport a gun in your car in South Carolina in the glove box, center console or locked in the trunk. It cannot be on your person and do not expose the firearm to law enforcement during the course of a stop. If you do, it changes to illegal. So don't keep a gun in the same place as your registration and insurance.

Don't put it under the seat or loose about the vehicle.

You may keep it in your hotel room as well, no problem.

You may transport a gun in your car in South Carolina in the glove box, center console or locked in the trunk. It cannot be on your person and do not expose the firearm to law enforcement during the course of a stop. If you do, it changes to illegal. So don't keep a gun in the same place as your registration and insurance.

Thanks for the update!

Slight clarification on the bold...

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

{snip}

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

If I may latch on to this thread- My interest is similar but mostly the traveling thru the same states(no SC) with a handgun part. From what I understand that Fed law allows us to travel thru these states as long as the gun is legal in the two states(NJ & NC) of start/end.However there are no CC's involved with us.Are there some specifics to be aware of(MD?)such as no stopping(even for gas?)It never occured to me to take a handgun along our trips andI'll be spending several weeks in NC soon and will need to catch up on the laws there for having a gun in my rented vacation home.I'd like to know this also for my son stationed in NC for when he comes up to visit and wants to take his gun and dad to the range up here.Any knowledge you may have would be appreciated and of course will do my own due dillegence. BTW- traveling on 95 beware of the town Emporia,VA near the NC border. I've made about a dozen round trips in the past 18 months or so and every time there has been a police/trap presence of some sort nearby altho I never drove thru there in the middle of night.

If I may latch on to this thread- My interest is similar but mostly the traveling thru the same states(no SC) with a handgun part. From what I understand that Fed law allows us to travel thru these states as long as the gun is legal in the two states(NJ & NC) of start/end.However there are no CC's involved with us.Are there some specifics to be aware of(MD?)such as no stopping(even for gas?)It never occured to me to take a handgun along our trips andI'll be spending several weeks in NC soon and will need to catch up on the laws there for having a gun in my rented vacation home.I'd like to know this also for my son stationed in NC for when he comes up to visit and wants to take his gun and dad to the range up here.Any knowledge you may have would be appreciated and of course will do my own due dillegence. BTW- traveling on 95 beware of the town Emporia,VA near the NC border. I've made about a dozen round trips in the past 18 months or so and every time there has been a police/trap presence of some sort nearby altho I never drove thru there in the middle of night.

Maryland is bad but you may stop for gas. Keep 'em in the trunk, locked up.

If you get a FL carry license, you are legal in Virginia and North Carolina. It's not that hard to get done, you should look into it.

As for bringing guns up from NC, it would be easy for him to run afoul of the laws in NJ. Legally, it's not a good idea. You have to run a minefield of legal exemptions once you cross into NJ. If they where in his vehicle and he gave NJ police no reason to pull him over and toss the car on the side of 95, who would be the wiser, hypothetically speaking of course.

Having a gun in a rented vacation home is no problem in North Carolina.

Thanx for the quick response. Fl carry looks interesting, will try to check it out. As to my son, I've looked into this before and he is considered a NC resident so has duel residency and shouldnt be aproblem with him having a legal gun as defined in NJ & NC.

I'm in Myrtle beach right now with my family at our cOndo here... This state is very lax gun wise, I can even suggest a few ranges nearby. I think a FL ccw is also accepted here.

If you own real property there, you can get a carry permit from SC.

I'm in Myrtle beach right now with my family at our cOndo here... This state is very lax gun wise, I can even suggest a few ranges nearby. I think a FL ccw is also accepted here.

For you, a NJ resident, the FL permit is NOT honored by SC.