God, rimfires are filthy. I was going to clean the bolt assembly, trigger group, and inside of the receiver on my new (to me) GSG. After looking at everything, I think the parts deserve a good several hour dunk in mineral spirits, followed by a CLP bath. This **** is nasty.

Filth.jpg

I agree!! Just cleaned my M&P 15-22 the other day and man was that thing nasty. Granted it had about 700rds through it but it was pretty gross especially for a new gun. My pistols were both cleaned in half the time it took to do the rifle.

-Scott

I just bought a conversion kit for my 9mm Beretta. I shot 250 rounds of .22 and the frame of my gun looked as if 1500 rounds of 9mm went thru it. That .22 grit was everywhere. One of the only drawbacks to shooting .22 in my opinion.

You have to figure 22s get more abuse during range time since the ammo is so cheap. It's not like a center fire where 100 rounds or so and then you clean it. Your throwing 300 or so rounds down range, along with your buddies doing it too.

you also have to keep in mind that semi auto .22s are direct blowback operated instead of gas (most rifles) or delayed blowback (most semi auto pistols 9x19 or above) both of which are much cleaner than direct blowback.

That's true, but it's the ammo more than the action. My direct blowback HK P7 doesn't get dirty like this.

The P7 is gas delayed blowback

I guess the piston provides the delay. Thanks, I always thought it was direct. Walther PPK and Makarovs would be direct blowback, correct?

Come to think of it, my Ruger PC-9 gets extraordinarily filthy shooting 9mm. That is a direct blowback rifle.

I shoot Federal Bulk back in 22lr.

The Federal Bulk ammo is pretty dirty stuff, and also causes malfunctions in my Mark III Target. I switched to hard point CCI at Natchez SS for around $6.00 per hundred. It's a lot cleaner and I had maybe one malfunction in 1000 rds.

Not really sure, but I am picking up, well my wife is picking up the MK III Hunter later this week and I have been doing a little reading about the Rugers. While isn't not a concern to me being the cost of 22LR's compared to the other calibers I shoot, I have found the spectrum to be wide on what people shoot through them and/or what ammo they have problems with. Seems like there is a slight variation on either models or machining that can make gun A good for X ammo, while gun B doesn't like X ammo.

Hope I am lucky with the new addition to the family being bulk ammo tolerant because I have over 10K in bulk ammo :o .

Harry

Not really sure, but I am picking up, well my wife is picking up the MK III Hunter later this week and I have been doing a little reading about the Rugers. While isn't not a concern to me being the cost of 22LR's compared to the other calibers I shoot, I have found the spectrum to be wide on what people shoot through them and/or what ammo they have problems with. Seems like there is a slight variation on either models or machining that can make gun A good for X ammo, while gun B doesn't like X ammo.

Hope I am lucky with the new addition to the family being bulk ammo tolerant because I have over 10K in bulk ammo :o .

Harry

I have found the Ruger 22LR pistols to be VERY tolerant of different ammos I have tried.

The Federal bulk pack is lead with a copper wash on it. When you handle the ammo, the copper wash comes off on your hand. I can see why it would run dirty. I have found that Federal Bulk pack seems to cycle in every gun I have ever tried it in. It might not be the best, but it seems to be a jack-of-all-trades for 22LR.

I guess the piston provides the delay. Thanks, I always thought it was direct. Walther PPK and Makarovs would be direct blowback, correct?

Come to think of it, my Ruger PC-9 gets extraordinarily filthy shooting 9mm. That is a direct blowback rifle.

I shoot Federal Bulk back in 22lr.

Correct, the piston delays unlocking like the lugs do on the 1911 for example. Most >9x19 pistols are indeed direct blowback, like you mentioned the PPK/makarovs. Also the LCP for a more modern example. Direct blowback is indeed dirtier because the case is coming out into the action much earlier in the firing sequence, thus there is more crap going around. Ever notice the little bit of flash at your ejection port? Yeah, thats because there is still combustion happening while the bore is unsealed by the extracting case. Hence the dirtyness.

The Federal bulk pack is lead with a copper wash on it. When you handle the ammo, the copper wash comes off on your hand. I can see why it would run dirty.

So that would explain the black stuff that was on my hands when I was finished shooting yesterday.

I have found the Ruger 22LR pistols to be VERY tolerant of different ammos I have tried.

The Federal bulk pack is lead with a copper wash on it. When you handle the ammo, the copper wash comes off on your hand. I can see why it would run dirty. I have found that Federal Bulk pack seems to cycle in every gun I have ever tried it in. It might not be the best, but it seems to be a jack-of-all-trades for 22LR.

Federal sells a couple different lines of 22lr. i use there champion line in my MKIII with no no copper washing or HP. I believe is the heavier hv load. Very reliable, i went through 400 rounds in a sitting with not one failure, i did however have one dirty a** gun to clean. These are sold by the 5250, not 5500.

I passed on the copper washing HP because i didn't want to worry about FTF since there actually pretty soft bullets. And the copper washing was more of a gimmick to me. By the time the bullet is seated in the chamber probably 70% of it is gone. Like other said it seems to be more dirty because of the ease it comes off.

Correct, the piston delays unlocking like the lugs do on the 1911 for example. Most >9x19 pistols are indeed direct blowback, like you mentioned the PPK/makarovs. Also the LCP for a more modern example. Direct blowback is indeed dirtier because the case is coming out into the action much earlier in the firing sequence, thus there is more crap going around. Ever notice the little bit of flash at your ejection port? Yeah, thats because there is still combustion happening while the bore is unsealed by the extracting case. Hence the dirtyness.

Add the fact that some 22's like the MK series have quite exposed internals in terms of where the chamber is located, the whole inside gets dirty including the trigger mech and everything in between. A plus side is that when u take them apart everything is exposed for a good cleaning.

It's also hard to see the flash from a 22 when your the shooter, i didnt notice it until i let my friend shoot mine and realized it was flashing on every round, i though it was interesting that i didn't notice it after shooting 200 rnds. But on the very first round my friend shot i saw it at the breach and muzzle.