axeman_g

Original Air Marshall Qualification Test

All,

Last year I took part in a fun shoot in which the morning was shot on steel then in the afternoon some of the more devoted stayed around and we shot the post 9/11 Fed Air Mashal Qualification Test. This is the test that was given to FAM candidates after a few weeks of instruction. I do not know all the particulars, but my understanding is that fewer then 20% of the candidates passed this test.

I cant tell you from my run at it, it is challenging and you had better know your gun, equipment and how to shoot. I shot this with a SIG P6 that I loved, until this test exposed the weakness in this gun in my hands. I was just not fast enough no accurate enough quickly to overcome it's design and my left handedness.

I believe this is an excellent string of fire for people to prove to themselves that they can or cannot fight with a handgun.

I have attached the pdf of the scoring sheet on the first tab and description on the second tab. Please note this is a time as well as accuracy score. 30 shots fired, must score >=135 to pass as well as shoot all stings in under 33.8 seconds total.

I would love to do this again, I dont think I could RO it, but I would help organize this if someone would step up to RO. We could do it at SJSC is someone could get us in or at CJ. I am not a member at either but I believe both have great action pits.

AirMarshallQualTest.pdf

I recently met someone who was a FAM and he loves the job. They shoot anywhere from 1k-3k rounds per week and get paid for traveling...sounds like lots of fun!

I'll have to ask him what the recent quals and tests are like, if they have changed from the one you shot, etc.

I believe this would be the original test given to the current iteration of FAM's - since they became part of Homeland Security. The original FAM's were part of the Treasury Dept (I believe ATF) and date from the 70's. They carried Charter Arms Bulldogs in .44 Spl - which would make this test nigh impossible to pass. I know a FAM from both the 70's and current programs (actually a lot of you northern NJ'ites know his wife, but I would never out him on a public forum). I also have a friend that was a recipient of a lot of once-fired nickel-plated .44 Spl brass from the original program.

I believe that current FAM's carry P229's in .357 Sig. They were going to change to P250's but something derailed that change, and it's an assumption on my part that they stuck with the P229's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

They were going to change to P250's but something derailed that change, and it's an assumption on my part that they stuck with the P229's.

Good choice. I was not impressed with the P250s. Just my luck too, the one ambi gun Sig makes...

Guest schutzen-jager

I believe this would be the original test given to the current iteration of FAM's - since they became part of Homeland Security. The original FAM's were part of the Treasury Dept (I believe ATF) and date from the 70's. They carried Charter Arms Bulldogs in .44 Spl - which would make this test nigh impossible to pass. I know a FAM from both the 70's and current programs (actually a lot of you northern NJ'ites know his wife, but I would never out him on a public forum). I also have a friend that was a recipient of a lot of once-fired nickel-plated .44 Spl brass from the original program.

I believe that current FAM's carry P229's in .357 Sig. They were going to change to P250's but something derailed that change, and it's an assumption on my part that they stuck with the P229's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

tis correct - my son in law has been fam since 2001 - issue of p250's on hold , none currently issued - original fam's were part of tsa , now homeland security - only 90 fams in 2001 now varies between 2+3 thousand - job sounds glamorous till you have to do it !

This sounds challenging but fun. I believe these targets are larger than the uspsa/ipsc targets?

How do you get a job as an air marshall?

TSA-Air Marshal

If I were 21 I'd do it. I'd probably fail, but I would do it. Nothing says fun like traveling for free to different parts of the country and world stopping the evil doers.

They shoot anywhere from 1k-3k rounds per week and get paid for traveling

Your typical FAM doesn't shoot that much. He or she wouldn't have time to do much else. You have to consider you can't relax during a flight and most times your turnaround only allows you to get some sleep and something to eat. You're also not allowed to drink alcohol unless you have 24 hours between drinking and flying.

The original FAM's were part of the Treasury Dept (I believe ATF) and date from the 70's. They carried Charter Arms Bulldogs in .44 Spl...

The original "Sky Marshals" were called "Customs Air Security Officers" and were US Customs employees, part of Treasury. The program started in late 1970 and ran to the middle of 1974. Their initial training was only a few weeks so there wasn't a lot of time to get really good with anything. I worked with a lot of guys who were Sky Marshals and at the start of the program they carried whatever was available in the inventory, usually 38 or 357 revolvers. My supervisor carried a 4" Model 15 S&W by choice as a Sky Marshal. I've heard that the Charter Bulldog was designed to be used by Sky Marshals and came out in 1973. I never met one who had one or knew anyone else who did as a Sky Marshal. They may have been issued on a very limited basis. A S&W Model 60 loaded with Super Vel was pretty much the standard by the end of the program. These Model 60s were used by Customs Special Agents and then ICE Special Agents until a few years ago.

How do you get a job as an air marshall?

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/people/fams_join.shtm

The targets are FBI QIT Targets.... the Q zone is tight. You only get full score for Q zone clean hits, anything outside or line is 2 points, not 5. The Q zone is about the width of A on IPSC, but you get the vertical string also up also, which is more realistic. See attached pics.

post-1225-0-94896500-1305314189_thumb.jpeg

post-1225-0-19497700-1305314239_thumb.jpeg

I'll have to ask him what the recent quals and tests are like, if they have changed from the one you shot, etc.

From what I remember reading, the quals were changed some time after 9/11 because not enough people were able to pass the test and they had a lot of slots to fill..

I've had this link bookmarked from 2-3 years ago, so I don't know accurate it is as of 2011:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellp.htm

A S&W Model 60 loaded with Super Vel was pretty much the standard by the end of the program.

Interesting that you should mention that. I got an interesting speedloader from my Sky Marshal friend. It was a strip that wrapped around the ammunition and had a claw on the end (like a military sling) to close it with a tab on the claw. You inserted the bullet noses into the cylinder and pulled the tab - spinning the cylinder (kind of like starting a lawnmower) and releasing the rounds. It was loaded with .38 Spl Super Vel hollowpoints. I still have it around here someplace.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It was a strip that wrapped around the ammunition and had a claw on the end (like a military sling) to close it with a tab on the claw.

I have a couple of those I bought in the 70s. They really don't work too well as the rounds sometime stick to the strip and you wind up dropping them. No where near as good as a HKS or Safariland but when they work correctly they'll do the job.