I'm going to the range tomorrow (1st time in a long time).

I'm bringing the 2 revolvers that I have had for nearly 20 years.

So, I have this WWII Luger (Code 42 Dated Chamber) with matching clips and a nice holster that I have never shot that was handed down to me by my dad who died some years ago.

The questions about that are-

1. Would you guys be shooting this? It looks like it is in very good condition, but I am skeptical about shooting it for some reason. Is it a shooter or do I put it back in my case?

2. Any idea what caliber this might be? I "thought" I found it in the Firearm Blue Book but there are so many different versions I cant be sure I am 100% correct and it reads 9mm. However....I could have sworn my father said it was a caliber I wasnt familiar with, but time has blurred that memory. You think the guys at the range would readily be able to tell me what caliber is in?

3. I take my permit paperwork with me in the cases of my 2 revolvers.

A. Do I really need to?

B. Does the Luger need paperwork to be transported?

Thanks for your time.

Bip

If you are questioning if the guns are safe to fire, I do doubt anyone would be able to say for sure over the internet. I would if I were you do a service on them and inspect everything and clean and lube them and make them ready for the range. Now if your not comfortable with that, I would bring them to a gun smith and have them do a once over. Also have them tell you a little about them.

Seems that you still need info on them and a gun smith should be able to help you out with that.

As far as needing a FID to transport them, NO you do not as long as they are being transported the proper way for NJ, and going to a range or Gun Smith are 2 of the locations you can go with them.

Also how about posting some pic's, there are plenty of people here who probably know exactly what gun they are and probably give you some history about it also.

Harry

1. Would you guys be shooting this? It looks like it is in very good condition, but I am skeptical about shooting it for some reason. Is it a shooter or do I put it back in my case?

There's probably a wealth of Luger knowledge on the interwebz, try & find a page/forum that tells you what to look for. If you are that apprehensive take it to a gunsmith.

2. Any idea what caliber this might be? I "thought" I found it in the Firearm Blue Book but there are so many different versions I cant be sure I am 100% correct and it reads 9mm. However....I could have sworn my father said it was a caliber I wasnt familiar with, but time has blurred that memory. You think the guys at the range would readily be able to tell me what caliber is in?

Could it beeeeeeeeee...........9x19mm a/k/a 9mm Luger, usually abbreviated 9mm?

3. I take my permit paperwork with me in the cases of my 2 revolvers.

A. Do I really need to?

I don't, some people on this here forum do so, AFAIK, there is noting in the law requiring it

B. Does the Luger need paperwork to be transported?

If you inherited it there's no paperwork. Is it something he bought in NJ after 1965? Or is it a war bringback?

Thanks for your time.

Bip

Do all the numbers on it match? Lugers do tend to break extractors sometimes. If it's all matching, and you break an extractor, it will lose significant value when you have to put a non matching extractor in it. If it's not all matching anyway, it wouldn't really matter.

If your pistol says 9mm on it, it should be 9mm luger. I don't recall if any were made in 9mm kurz (.380) and highly doubt any were ever made in 9mm Makarov or 9mm Largo. Hopefully someone else can confirm that for you.

You are not required to bring your permits with you to the range, but bringing a copy is not a bad idea.

I second the pix if possible. Did you try loading 9mm in the mag? Did you cycle it? if it's P08 I wud say majority of them nowadays is 9mm but you never know. I have a 1915 P08 that shoots just fine but I did take it to the gunsmith before my 1st trip to the range. The only thing to consider is that P08s are sometimes picky about the ammo so keep it in mind .......

If the gun is all matching with original finish and matching mags either 1 or 2, I would not shoot it because the gun would be worth a small fortune and would be worth a lot less if something breaks. It should be a 9mm since it would be a WW2 production and to check the barrel should be marked 8,82 I think on the underside near where it meets the frame. The Luger works best with at least 124gr ammo, 115 will not cycle with a lot of the consistently.

If you do decide to shoot it after a thorough inspection and cleaning, Load one round in the chamber and shoot it. Do a good inspection again before loading it again.

I had a friend many years ago when I lived in Ohio who brought out his dad's old 32 that hadn't been shot for many years. The firing pin had apparently stuck out after the first shot and stayed out. 5 rounds cooked off in rapid succession till one case rim caught on the firing pin and jammed.

It is a luger (found out it was a 9mm today). It shot great.

Kind of weird that the last person that may have shot this before me was a Nazi. My dad got the gun when he was still in high school which was in the mid fifties and had never shot it.

Also, my 1st time at Shore Shot, people behind the counter were great and gave me the NJ Gun Forum discount, but the place was a mad house. I was hoping to have the place to myself, but it was far from that. I was still able to get into a lane no problem. Good experience overall.

Now that you know it fires, throw it in a safe and forget about it! an all matching ruger with mags are in the thousands of dollars range. Go buy something u can shoot and not worry about significantly depreciating its value. Firearms like these are a good investment.

I've heard that lugers can be relatively dangerous to fire as well. If you do plan on shooting it more, you should look into that. But I agree with the rest... if it's all matching, I say you go out and buy a cheaper, non matching luger and have a nice excuse to start a collection.

Guest schutzen-jager

been shooting mine for 40 years with out a problem + values have increased - as long as they are sound + not pristine unfired specimens enjoy them - they were made to be used -