7-3-2

First Handgun!!!

So I drove down to shoreshot and picked this baby up today shot 100 rounds through it and I gotta say I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE this gun so far! Now if only I could make up my mind if I wanna learn to shoot lefty or righty being as Im left eye dominant. Thanks everyone for the support and all the advice!!!

219q7g2.jpg

erylb6.jpg

2aeuwcn.jpg

2hgxwyq.jpg

5txnjt.jpg

2a8eohl.jpg

Great first gun, 7-3-2. My first was an M&P 9 as well. Congrats and enjoy it.

I heard that the M&P 9 comes with 16 round magazines. Were yours pinned to 15? Stock 15 from S&W or 10 rounders?

Negative. M&P 9 come with 17 rounders OR 10 rounders. The mags pictured are 10 rounders. However, S&W makes 15 rounders just for us lowly NJ folk.

Nice. I don't buy the small caliber for first handgun purchase theory though. My first was a 1911 from SA, I love it! Yeah, first time out I stunk. 50 rounds later I was doing nearly perfect with it, piece of cake! Enjoy it and decide what you'll get next in 30 days! I have my next two sitting in my FFL's safe.

very nice. i've heard a lot of good things about that gun. i'm considering getting that one also.

now someone correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think cross dominance matters as much when it comes to handguns compared to shotguns or rifles. so with that being said shoot whichever you are most comfortable. but practice with both. you never know if you would need it or not and if you do go into a little competition shooting i understand they do weak hand shooting as well.

Damn I got the same exact gun! I'm just waiting on my permit to pick it up. Excellent purchase. Did you rent this gun out before buying it? What other guns were you looking at?

So far I have nothing but good things to say about it ... Unfortunately Shoreshot didnt have the M&P, XD, FNP, or SP-01 available for rental and Im the first of my friends to obtain a handgun so I had to go with what felt best in my hand. I dont regret my decison at all but I'm realizing that guns are like tattoos because I'm already thinking of which one I want next lol.

Great first gun, 7-3-2. My first was an M&P 9 as well. Congrats and enjoy it.

Negative. M&P 9 come with 17 rounders OR 10 rounders. The mags pictured are 10 rounders. However, S&W makes 15 rounders just for us lowly NJ folk.

And i will have to get my hands on a few of those ASAP

So, this is the one handgun your gonna own? No 1911? or 4inch 357? Or a Glock 19?

You'll buy more, trust me.

Good luck dude, have fun!

Not at all lol ... but with me its going to go like this ... pay this one off of my CC and then apply for the next ... eventually I'd like to own a 1911 and nice wheelgun and who knows how many other semis I'll decide I want. Thing is with 3 kids (3rd one on the way) and a limited income I'll have lots of time between purchases to get used to each one of my purchases. Plus my gun budget will be competing with my tattoo budget as well lol.

Nice. I don't buy the small caliber for first handgun purchase theory though. My first was a 1911 from SA, I love it! Yeah, first time out I stunk. 50 rounds later I was doing nearly perfect with it, piece of cake! Enjoy it and decide what you'll get next in 30 days! I have my next two sitting in my FFL's safe.

Here is my take on that theory:

1 case Fedaral 45ACP shipped from ammmotogo.com: $415

or...

1 case PMC 9mm shipped from ammotogo.com: $260 + 1 full day class from MDTS: $185 = Total cost: $445

I know which of those two scenarios leaves you a more effective shooter.

• Like 1

So far I have nothing but good things to say about it ... Unfortunately Shoreshot didnt have the M&P, XD, FNP, or SP-01 available for rental and Im the first of my friends to obtain a handgun so I had to go with what felt best in my hand. I dont regret my decison at all but I'm realizing that guns are like tattoos because I'm already thinking of which one I want next lol.

it seems like all the m&p owners like to do the trigger mod. whats your take on the out of the box trigger?

1 case PMC 9mm shipped from ammotogo.com: $260 + 1 full day class from MDTS: $185 = Total cost: $445

Very well put! And if you're cheap like me and shoot steel cased ammo, the ammo cost goes down to $185 shipped :icon_mrgreen:

it seems like all the m&p owners like to do the trigger mod. whats your take on the out of the box trigger?

Trigger feel is very subjective. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the stock M&P trigger. I find it to be "vague" and the trigger reset is a bit soft for my taste. Is it useable the way it is? Absolutely. Is it going to win any awards in the trigger category? No. But, again, it's a very subjective thing.

I wasn't factoring the cost of ammo in, to me it doesn't matter. Finding a gun that you like, can handle well, and can hit the targets with is all that matters to me. If it costs .02 a shot or .50 a shot, I'll still shoot 100 rounds at a time. Not everyone has that luxury though.

Being as Im a first time handgun owner I have no complaints at all about the trigger, nor do I have too much to compare it to. I will probably do the trigger upgrade in time but I by no means look at it as a necessity. I actually preferred the trigger over that of the XD and the CZ when I compared the 3 ... but its all subjective. I also am notorious for going back and forth on my stance between two items ... each time I left a shop I changed my mind about which gun I wanted. Even now I cant make up my mind about which palm swell I prefer medium or large lol. My point is I cant really say in all honesty that I prefer the M&P's trigger less or more than any other gun ... but that I bought it mostly because it just felt the best in my hand when I decided I was ready to buy.

I've got an M&P40F that was purchased as a used LEO trade in at the Bullet Hole about 2 years ago. The trigger I remember as being very crunchy w/ a very vague and long reset. The trigger now is the best of any polymer pistol I've put my hands on. I did the home trigger as outlined on the Burwell site and also installed an Apex sear. This was before the DCAEK trigger kit was out. Basically, all the contact points of the trigger bar have been polished, as well as the striker and firing pin safety. I would up buying the M&P sight pusher as you need to remove the rear sight to get to the firing pin safety. I may at some point install the Apex RAM setup, which is supposed to give a more pronounced and quickened reset. I have to say though that the reset is much better now than how I remembered it being stock.

By the way, to the OP, congrats on your pistol. Excellent choice as a 1st. It's a gun that's very easy to shoot accurately and quickly. If you ever decide to put the DCAEK kit in from Apex, want to polish the firing pin or install new sights... let me know since I have the rear sight pusher.