I just wanted to show everyone this photo my wife took of her M&P 9. She's currently a photography student and had to get some ideas for one of her assignments. Then, I gave her the idea of taking a photo of her M&P and showed her a few examples. I think it came out really good. What do you guys think?

IMG_0846FP.jpg

I think her instructor, and probably the rest of the class, will freak-out when they learn the subject of her assignment belongs to the photographer :icon_mrgreen:

But they'll likely keep their C&C to themselves.

As to the image, it's a little confusing to me. I can't read her mind, so I don't know what she was trying to achieve, but it looks less like a photo of a gun with ammo as props than a photo of ammo with a gun in the background. Traditionally, images of handguns show the gun as the main subject, with whatever propping to provide context and fill some negative space in the frame. This could be exactly what she was trying for. If so, it works fine. If not, she needs to work on it some more. There's a lot of air on the sides that could be eliminated just by taking out some of the propping.

There are a couple of more "traditional" photos here.

Looks pretty good.

A couple points of criticism - the lighting isn't the best - you're overexposed in the back. Also the focal point blurs out the writing on the slide a little. Either that it's just the picture noise.

Yeah, it's a nice photo.

It's got some blur and noise. It's not very well lit either. With the stuff spread out like that, it'd probably look better stopping it down an F stop. Set the ISO to 100 and a .6 sec exposure or so.

It can often take a lot of experimentation to get an amazing picture.

That one is pretty good though.

I like it. What I first thought were focus issues I started liking. In some way it looks like a mock stage of some sorts where the bullets are the actors.

Its kinda neat but it seems like it does lack an obvious motivation. But I am not sure that that is important in this project.

Well, first off is this supposed to be a portrait type assignment? I find that the problem with "learning" photographers is that they find it hard to break out of the box. My friend has been doing photography for a couple years now and its gotten to the point where he's making steady income from it. I can say for sure that one of the biggest things to overcome is truly just letting your emotions take the pictures.

here is his website if she wants to get an idea of what someone can do with a little knowledge and lots of heart in photography. http://matthewpetriephotography.com/personal.html He has no limits, started shooting cars and stuff and now hes doing weddings and events, also never really went to school for photography but took some introduction classes. If she has an questions his info is on his page. I'm the gun nut and he's the camera nut, but we both love shooting things. :thankyou:

I'd add a bounce card in the front of the lighting setup so you can see more of the gun. It looks like she palyed with the dodge/burn tool in photoshop to try and fix it, and it's not quite cutting it. In raw, you'd just play with the fill light slider, not sure how you do it to a jpeg in PS. compositionally it's nice, and she got the rim light setup pretty well.