Sign in to follow this  
Turbotezza

Federal law against permanently altering high cap mags?

My FFL seems to think that there is a federal law that prohibit one from permanently altering high cap mags to something with a lower capacity. I think he is totally wrong otherwise NJ won't have a clause that states permanently altering a high cap mag will no longer cause it to be considered "High cap".

I hate the misinformation that is available at ranges and shops, even by people who should know better. Please tell us your ffl so I know where not to shop.

I agree.. "gun shops" are one of the biggest culprits when it comes to tales of exaggerated NJ firearms owners legal woes.. and the creation of interesting "laws" lol..

Look at it from a logical point of view. Since there are no Federal laws regarding magazine capacity (yet - sorry :icon_e_sad: ), why would there be any laws about altering magazine capacity?

Look at it from a logical point of view. Since there are no Federal laws regarding magazine capacity (yet - sorry :icon_e_sad: ), why would there be any laws about altering magazine capacity?

THIS... you need a lawyer when the law is written and needs to be digested. When there is no law in place what do u need a lawyer for?

I think he is just trying to cover his a$$. The previous FFL I used to use wouldn't deal with AR type guns because he said that it was a "Grey area". No harm, no faul I guess.

WHere is their a FFL in Kendall Park? There used to be Murphy's over on 27, but he has been gone for a while.....Id like to know as thats close to me....However if he thinks its illegal to alter a mag to comply with NJ law, then maybe I dont need him....What could possibly be the reason for thinking there was such a law.....I do remember hearing something similar a while ago...some guy's cop buddy said the same thing...that altering a standard cap mag to 15 rounds was illegal as it was destroying evidence.....Total asshat.

Shop elsewhere. This FFL looks to be playing the CYA game to the max for no reason.

there is a reason.. call it apathy.. laziness.. whatever you want to call it.. it is just the lack of willingness to take the time to LEARN about the industry you are involved in.. this means one thing.. they are not worth your business...

Isnt t legal to have as long as you don't have a firearm it can go in

huh? you can not have 15+ round detachable magazines no matter what.. ever period in NJ... (unless possibly passing through from a state where they are legal to a state where they are legal providing you make no "unnecessary stops"..