xm177e2687

Sayreville sportsman.. lousy experience

I had posted this on another gun forum that I belong to, figured I'd throw it in here also since this is strictly a NJ board.

stopped into this place while out on my sales route today. Needed a small AR part which they actually had. Asked the guy if they had any 10rd AK mags.. he proceeded to go on a long winded rant about how WASRs that accept double stack magazines are totally illegal in NJ and that I could go to jail for owning one. His reasoning was that the WASR will "accept an Ak-47 magazine". He told me that there are new semi automatic AK type rifles from russia that will accept double stack mags that are jersey legal because the receiver is manufactured differently :icon_rolleyes: I explained to him that I purchased my WASR double stack, along with 2 10rd magazines from a NJ FFL dealer, that it is totally ban compliant, and I pointed to his ARs and told him that they will accept an m16 30rd magazine to which he replied "those are not AK-47s" and that "ARs cannot be converted to fully automatic fire like a double stack WASR AK-47" He then asked me if I have ever seen an AR before, and this was AFTER I had him take a detent out of the case for me, for an AR-15 I of course told him that I own an AR-15 that I built myself and I have seen the internals of various different AR-15 rifles, he showed me the sear block inside a colt lower and told me "this is why these ARs are legal here"... i was so dumbstruck by his ignorance that I simply nodded, didn't even bother trying to inform him that he was incorrect, paid for my small part and left. I will not be shopping there again, I have never encountered such stupidity at a gun shop in my life, we already have it tough enough here in NJ without clueless gun store employees (he could have been the owner for all I know) trying to tell law abiding people that they are criminals for possessing a rifle that is perfectly legal to own. Not to mention they want 100 bucks for LPKs... Does anyone else have any experiences with this shop? good? bad? I'd be curious to hear it being as I was almost kind of offended by the guy implying that I was a criminal and treating me as such..

Welcome to the club. I can't stand that place. Their prices on handguns were ludicrous last time I was in there (about three years ago). Supposedly they have some decent prices on rifles. I had a PP and money in hand and wanted to look at a gun. I couldn't get the guy's attention. He was too busy bullshitting with his buddies because it was deer season and someone was getting a tag there. The only way I make it to SS is if I want to see what a gun looks like in person. I will buy it elsewhere.

Guest schutzen-jager

I AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - ignorant employees + very overpriced !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish they would change their tune there. Not all of them are buttheads, but the ones that "matter" are. I could walk there, if I wasn't lazy, it's about 2 miles from my house. I went there several times, but I'll never be going-back. It's too bad, one of the salesman in there is a good guy, but he is surrounded by.............well, if you've been there then you know.

I had posted this on another gun forum that I belong to, figured I'd throw it in here also since this is strictly a NJ board.

Not to mention they want 100 bucks for LPKs...

damn, at that price, i'd consider selling mine. (i got a bunch)

Good luck.. I doubt that shop will ever sell a LPK for what they are asking. LPKs can be had for less than 40 bucks. I think they also had a stripped AR lower in the case for something like 400 bucks :sarcastichand:

Where you see those? Lowest price I could find is palmetto state armory, and even theirs is $49.99 unless you get the one without a FCG. It's definitely not the best kit either. Next cheapest I found was $60, but that was actually for a decent LPK. You still have to add like $7 shipping to both of those prices.

Good luck.. I doubt that shop will ever sell a LPK for what they are asking. LPKs can be had for less than 40 bucks. I think they also had a stripped AR lower in the case for something like 400 bucks :sarcastichand:

stripped lower is $ 149... not sure what brand it is but it looks like it has an etched logo of the US Marines. I was just there this morning buying some supplies.

I buy stuff there all of the time. Even special-order items. The store supports all of the local clubs in the area as well as the NRA's Women On Target Program.

I've never had a problem. I think that there may be a misunderstanding here. Last time I was in, Joe (the owner) handed me an ice cold bottle of water with a big hello!

Lots of happy customers....seems every time I'm there they're doing a NICS check. Nice selection of clothing & boots too. Bought my son his last pair of Carhart boots there, for a good price too!

Dave

Dave,

Maybe it's kind of "clubby" in there. Since you know Joe, he treats you well. I am a griendly enough guy, but have always gotten the vibe that I was not wanted, or at least not needed, there.

Dave,

Maybe it's kind of "clubby" in there. Since you know Joe, he treats you well. I am a griendly enough guy, but have always gotten the vibe that I was not wanted, or at least not needed, there.

That's unfortunate. Sometimes "vibes" can be misleading. Just ask my Wife, LOL!

If you want to "fix it", just say the word, and I'll meet you there and we'll fix it together.

Happy birthday by the way!

Dave

Dave, I am a very easy person to get along with. Next time I see you I can tell you in person about my experience there, I won't air it out on a public forum.

Google their place and look at the reviews given to them. I had read them before going there but still entered the building with an open mind. The first visit was pleasant, the second, well, you can ask my wife what the owner did......... :(

Iggy asked me seriously what posessed me to get into this hobby just a few months ago and spend over $5K buying stuff. That's the way I am. And Sayreville got about $100 of that money I spent.

I went to Highschool in sayerville...(or Slayerville) back then SS was always a crappy experience. My dad used to get his deer permits, so as a kid I loved looking at all the guns, etc.

As I got older and moved away, I passed by in the last year. Found a nice used range finder...said 49.99...I brought it to the register, he looked at it and started to tell me that this was incorrectly priced, and it was 159.99...I said thanks and walked....its a shame, he has a nice location...

I buy stuff there all of the time. Even special-order items. The store supports all of the local clubs in the area as well as the NRA's Women On Target Program.

I've never had a problem. I think that there may be a misunderstanding here. Last time I was in, Joe (the owner) handed me an ice cold bottle of water with a big hello!

Lots of happy customers....seems every time I'm there they're doing a NICS check. Nice selection of clothing & boots too. Bought my son his last pair of Carhart boots there, for a good price too!

Dave

Joe at SS was the reason I chose to purchase my firearms on line,as I relayed before, I went in with money and permit in hand and left with a bad taste in my mouth and vowed never to return, the man is a mentally deficient braggart .As for the NICS checks,At $90.00 for the check and transfers he's way out of line with just about every other FFL.

I'm not a big fan of sayreville sportsman. I buy primers there, and some cleaning supplies, but thats about it. Those things have one price on them, and when I forgot to add something to a big order, or I want to keep my primer supply topped up without paying a hazmat fee, it's worthwhile. The ammo selection has become awful, and trying to buy a gun is just a PITA. You don't need to like your customers if they pay. Your customers do need to like you enough to come back.

There's always someone to tell me that the place is great for them, but at best every time I walk in I get the vibe I'm interrupting someone's social hour. At worst, it's kind of hostile. Depends who is behind the counter.

Dave

The guy working there told me that I am a criminal for owning a wasr in NJ because it accepts a double stack magazine and anything that accepts an AK-47 magazine is illegal in NJ because "it can be converted to a machine gun"... seriously the most uninformed, stupidest crap I've ever heard in a gun shop. There was no misunderstanding, the older guy working there told me that 10rd double stack AK mags are illegal, and that anything that accepts an AK mag is illegal here. I told him his ARs would accept a 30rd m16 mag so he proceeded to show me a sear block in a colt lower and told me that they cannot be converted to machine guns like AKs that accept double stack mags so they are legal here. I will shop elsewhere, I dont need to be accused of breaking the law by a gun store employee (he may even be the owner for all I know) who apparently knows very little about NJ's assault weapon laws and likes to publicly accuse his customers of engaging in illegal activity. That shop must cater strictly to Fudds. I think I should add that the guy working there had a very hostile tone with me and was having some kind of personal telephone conversation that didnt sound even remotely business related. I had to wait 15 minutes for him to finish his phone chat before he even acknowledged my presence in the shop.

The ONLY person making this PUBLIC is YOU. There are two sides to this story (I checked). I'm not going to comment on YOU, your WASR or magazines.

Name calling isn't appropriate behavior on this or any other forum.

Dave

I've been a customer of SS for a couple of years now. It's hard not to since I drive by his place going to and coming from work. I know Joe and his crew well enough and I've been treated fairly. I've bought some firearms and supplies from the store. I have also bought other firearms through gunbroker, and two other forum vendors (not to mention forum members).

My take on this is that, if I don't like Joe's price on something I'm looking for, I am free to shop elsewhere. If I have doubts on the information coming from Joe and his crew, I always have the forum and google to check and verify. Whenever I feel like "fondling" stuff in the store, I have never gotten an impression that I'm wasting their time.

BTW, if you know where to check, you will find awesome deals in his shop.

Dave - I think I've met you in a couple of indoor action shoot before. You shoot that "Dirty Harry" revo, right? If you do, you're way faster than me shooting my glock.icon_mrgreen.gif

I've been a customer of SS for a couple of years now. It's hard not to since I drive by his place going to and coming from work. I know Joe and his crew well enough and I've been treated fairly. I've bought some firearms and supplies from the store. I have also bought other firearms through gunbroker, and two other forum vendors (not to mention forum members).

My take on this is that, if I don't like Joe's price on something I'm looking for, I am free to shop elsewhere. If I have doubts on the information coming from Joe and his crew, I always have the forum and google to check and verify. Whenever I feel like "fondling" stuff in the store, I have never gotten an impression that I'm wasting their time.

BTW, if you know where to check, you will find awesome deals in his shop.

Dave - I think I've met you in a couple of indoor action shoot before. You shoot that "Dirty Harry" revo, right? If you do, you're way faster than me shooting my glock.icon_mrgreen.gif

Yeah,

It's ME! And I bought that revo at Joe's in November of 1979! So that gun is older than some of the people complaining about the place :sarcastichand:

Yeah,

It's ME! And I bought that revo at Joe's in November of 1979! So that gun is older than some of the people complaining about the place :sarcastichand:

I'll shake your hand next time I meet you in the range or at Joe's.

BTW, I'm still kicking myself for not buying that pristine M1A (circa 2002) with lttle throat erosion for less than 900 bucks at S/S.

Rey, if your at the indoor matches, let me know who you are, I am normally there, I'll more than likely be shooting a CZ 75 TS, can't say I can shoot it well but I am there at the matches normally. I'll also be at this Sundays USPSA match.

Harry

Rey, if your at the indoor matches, let me know who you are, I am normally there, I'll more than likely be shooting a CZ 75 TS, can't say I can shoot it well but I am there at the matches normally. I'll also be at this Sundays USPSA match.

Harry

Hi Harry - I'll probably start going back to the Friday Indoor Action Shoot again as it is getting too hot outdoors. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to make it on Sunday but I've already signed up online. If the family sched permits, I will see you guys there.

Rey

The ONLY person making this PUBLIC is YOU. There are two sides to this story (I checked). I'm not going to comment on YOU, your WASR or magazines.

Name calling isn't appropriate behavior on this or any other forum.

Dave

Hey I wasn't name calling, and I'm not making up my story. The guy simply told me that I was in violation of NJ law for possessing a WASR 10/63 that is capable of accepting a double stack magazine, and that ANY AK looking rifle that accepts a double stack magazine is illegal here. And he did not say it in a friendly, looking out for me kinda way, he was pretty aggressive about it. That said, I still purchased some small items from the store, but the guy I spoke with there was very uninformed when it comes to WASR rifles. I purchased my rifle at tips hardware here in NJ, I suppose if it was illegal, a NJ FFL probably would not have been selling it. If you want to support the store thats your business, I am not calling anyone names.. if you are refering to the Fudd statement, that term is just in reference to the guys who are not into black rifles and prefer the good old wood and blued steel stuff, I did not consider it derogatory, different strokes for different folks. Once again, I am not making up my story.. the guy working there did in fact say what I am claiming he said, and accused me of being in violation of NJ law for owning my WASR. If you have good experiences there then thats fine, and I apologize if you are offended by my experience in the store but it happened the way I am describing it. I did a google search on them and see that they got poor reviews from others as well. I have been to almost every gun shop in this state and I am yet to encounter an employee saying anything about double stack 10 round AK type magazines or the rifles that accept them being illegal here, or being capable of full auto conversion because of their willingness to accept a double stack magazine. Again, I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intention in making my post.. I simply wanted to get the word out so maybe other potential customers wouldnt make the same mistake I did and ask about rifles that accept double stack AK magazines. I have no reason to LIE about this and apparently another person in this thread was told the same thing about WASRs in the shop. The employee/owner is simply misinformed and maybe this thread will help educate him on the subject matter. If he doesnt want to sell these particular rifles thats his business, but if he wants to tell customers that they are illegal and imply that I am a criminal for owning one, then thats just flat out misinformation.

Hey I wasn't name calling, and I'm not making up my story. The guy simply told me that I was in violation of NJ law for possessing a WASR 10/63 that is capable of accepting a double stack magazine, and that ANY AK looking rifle that accepts a double stack magazine is illegal here. And he did not say it in a friendly, looking out for me kinda way, he was pretty aggressive about it. That said, I still purchased some small items from the store, but the guy I spoke with there was very uninformed when it comes to WASR rifles. I purchased my rifle at tips hardware here in NJ, I suppose if it was illegal, a NJ FFL probably would not have been selling it. If you want to support the store thats your business, I am not calling anyone names.. if you are refering to the Fudd statement, that term is just in reference to the guys who are not into black rifles and prefer the good old wood and blued steel stuff, I did not consider it derogatory, different strokes for different folks. Once again, I am not making up my story.. the guy working there did in fact say what I am claiming he said, and accused me of being in violation of NJ law for owning my WASR. If you have good experiences there then thats fine, and I apologize if you are offended by my experience in the store but it happened the way I am describing it. I did a google search on them and see that they got poor reviews from others as well. I have been to almost every gun shop in this state and I am yet to encounter an employee saying anything about double stack 10 round AK type magazines or the rifles that accept them being illegal here, or being capable of full auto conversion because of their willingness to accept a double stack magazine. Again, I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intention in making my post.. I simply wanted to get the word out so maybe other potential customers wouldnt make the same mistake I did and ask about rifles that accept double stack AK magazines. I have no reason to LIE about this and apparently another person in this thread was told the same thing about WASRs in the shop. The employee/owner is simply misinformed and maybe this thread will help educate him on the subject matter. If he doesnt want to sell these particular rifles thats his business, but if he wants to tell customers that they are illegal and imply that I am a criminal for owning one, then thats just flat out misinformation.

Perhaps I should apologize to you . I believe that Smokin.50 was referring to me when he posted about name calling. However after 3 encounters with this Joe person it was readily apparent that he was a bit slow or perhaps medicated. What ever the case may be...I stand by my statement.

Perhaps I should apologize to you . I believe that Smokin.50 was referring to me when he posted about name calling. However after 3 encounters with this Joe person it was readily apparent that he was a bit slow or perhaps medicated. What ever the case may be...I stand by my statement.

As do I. I did not make up my story for entertainment value, I assure you that what I said is true and I'm stickin to it. I dont know if Joe is the individual I dealt with, but whoever it was told me that the firearm I am in possession of is illegal in this state when I know for sure that it is ban compliant and was purchased here legally from a reputable FFL. I forgot to mention, the guy also said to me "those are for pennsylvania" in reference to my WASR rifle. Oh well, its as simple for me as never giving that shop another penny, I just wanted to let others know that I had a lousy experience there in an effort to maybe save some potential customers from the same fate. Just don't mention that you own a WASR and you will be fine I suppose, although he did tell me that in order for an AR to be legal in NJ it must have a sear block in it... which is another load of crap all together but I will refrain from getting into it.

He told me today anything with more than a 10 rd magazine is illegal saigas are not legal if they take double stacks. I was like i'll cya around thanks for the help. He is still a nice guy alot of the older guys don't understand the laws

He told me today anything with more than a 10 rd magazine is illegal saigas are not legal if they take double stacks. I was like i'll cya around thanks for the help. He is still a nice guy alot of the older guys don't understand the laws

[/quote

I read about salesmen and FFL's in the very sensitive trade of selling firearms to an largely confused and uninformed public and can't seem to fathom how they get away with not knowing the laws that govern their livelihood. In my business, if I run afoul of more that 2 rules,standards,and laws, I get shut down.

As I recounted before, this is the same place where a revolver I was prepared to purchase was basically taken out of my hand and told to return only after my wife received her FID and PPL because I mentioned that I wanted something simple and reliable for OUR home defense.

I know better now since joining NJGF and asking the questions but back then I was relying on a supposed professional for informed and accurate guidance...... Well apparently I am not the only potential customer this business has alienated and lied to.