drizztice

New and confused...

Hello everyone!

I live in Essex county and recently became interested in owning and Target Shooting a firearm. Ive been out with my neighbrt a couple times and have had a chance to shoot his AR15, AK, CZ 75b, and his Walther( not sure what model) and ive held his 1911. Anyway since this interest began( and i put in more my ID) ive been trying to figure out which Handgun i would buy first. Ive looked at CZs,Sigs, glocks, taures, springfield etc.etc.etc. Having only looked at them on the internt I decided i wanted the CZ P01 for its size, the you tube vids of it and the cost ( havent bought it yet).

Today i decided to go to a gun shop not too far from my job in clifton ( the guy i dealt with was cool and complimented both guns). I told him that the problem i was encountering was that the guns that i have shot werent thick enough. I really felt like i didnt have a comfortable experience witht the hand guns ive shot... ( i know however that my neighbor loves both his guns and he should as their customized for his taste)

Any way the salesmen decided to bring out a Glock 19 ...holy **** this thing felt great in my hand ! ive almost entirely switched my choice over to the glock 19 (gen 4) but am still drawn to the P01 which ive never held if their is any advice anyone could offer me it would be great!!! ( if your wondering why i didnt ask the guy in the gunshop to show me the P01 ...he didnt carry CZ)

i hope to read any and all responces soon even if your bashing either gun or telling me about your experiences it would be awesome

also ive got 90 days to decide i just got my id!

welcome to the forum.

Holding the gun is one thing, shooting it is another. Both are great guns. People will swear by both. Both are also different. Plastic fantastic double action only, over a steel (is it?) da/sa CZ.

Shoot them both.

Btw, hope you applied for at least 3 to 6 pistol permits. =)

Welcome. As already mentioned, how the gun feels in your hand means far less than how it feels when you're shooting it. Come out to a forum get-together, or take a ride to a range that rents the weapons you are interested in purchasing before you start spending your hard-earned cash.

Take a ride down to Shore Shot and actually shoot several pistols in the caliber you want to buy. You only pay one rental fee (per caliber) and can switch guns until you find one that feels good and shoots well for you. Well worth the trip! Also, if you are coming out to any forum meet (like the Tuesday Night shoot at Shore Shot) just post before hand and ask someone to bring what you are looking for! We all play nice and share our toys.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I grew up in Essex County, lived there until I graduated College.

You can't go wrong with a Glock 19, Beretta 92 or Sig P226.

There is a reason why these three pistols are so popular. They work. You can find parts for them. You can find gunsmiths for them. You can buy magazines for them easily. You can also get a practice kit to turn that pistol into a .22 for those three guns.

The availability of a practice kit is important. 9mm ammunition runs about $15 a box or maybe $12 when its on sale at Dicks. .22 is $4.00 a box. What allows you to shoot more?

As Maksim said: holding a gun is one thing, shooting it is another.

Take the drive to Shore Shot and rent the Glock 19. If you like it, buy it. Then buy a practice kit. Once you have the Glock, then think about the CZ.

I think that CZ owners are kind of like the Rodney Dangerfields of the shooting community. They get no respect, but they are passionate about their firearms. Go to http://www.czforum.com/ and see if somebody there has the firearm you are looking for. If that owner is close by, he will probably be passionate about his CZ P01 to meet you somewhere and let you shoot it.

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, come out and try the guns you're interested in. there are a few P0-1 owners on this board, me being one of them. If you'd like to shoot it, let me know.

Also, you have 180 days, not 90 since you can extend your permits if not used within the first 90 days.

Good luck.

Welcome aboard.

I have had both and currently only have the Glock. The cz p01 is a great gun that several members own. The action is completely different between the two. Personally I like the feel of the p01 over the glock but like the glock anyway.

In time, most people would say get both, hence Maks saying he hopes you applied for more permits. :)

There are meet ups at Shore Shot on Tuesdays and you can ask members to try and briong these guns or you can rent them at SS I believe.

Welcome aboard.

I have had both and currently only have the Glock. The cz p01 is a great gun that several members own. The action is completely different between the two. Personally I like the feel of the p01 over the glock but like the glock anyway.

In time, most people would say get both, hence Maks saying he hopes you applied for more permits. :)

There are meet ups at Shore Shot on Tuesdays and you can ask members to try and briong these guns or you can rent them at SS I believe.

I have the Glock 19 and CZ 75 TS, I know, different from the p01 but I do like the way CZ's point so easily, well at least for me they do. Much prefer my CZ to the Glock but won't be getting rid of either of them because they are both are good guns.

Harry

I'm not a glock fan, but the g19 points better for me than any other glock. I'm not the only one with that experience for some reason. That and 15 round magazines would make me consider it over a full size in NJ. However, for the CZ, I can't say that there is any reason to go for a compact model. The full sized versions all are a better experience in actual use IMO.