Downr@nge

Is this shotgun NJ legal?

Yes, legal - pumps are good to go in almost every configuration imaginable in NJ, as long as they meet the minimum barrel (18.5") and overall length (26") requirements. The 535 meets those requirements.

ETA: regarding price - can't comment. Not familiar with the 535. Most people stick to 500 or 590 Mossbergs. You can get a 500 or 590 with a 20" barrel and it'll hold 7 shells. There's also a very good aftermarket following for the 500 and 590.

• Like 1

Yes, legal - pumps are good to go in almost every configuration imaginable in NJ, as long as they meet the minimum barrel (18.5") and overall length (26") requirements. The 535 meets those requirements.

ETA: regarding price - can't comment. Not familiar with the 535. Most people stick to 500 or 590 Mossbergs. You can get a 500 or 590 with a 20" barrel and it'll hold 7 shells. There's also a very good aftermarket following for the 500 and 590.

Okay good, then a 500 or 590 it is. I learned my lesson with my HK P2000 and Sig Pro that its HARD to find mags and aftermarket things on those and when you do find them, they are EXPENSIVE!

How much should a 500 or 590 cost me?

If I get a 500, can I put a pistol grip on it and a stock?

pistol grip

If I get a 500, can I put a pistol grip on it and a stock?

Yes, legal - pumps are good to go in almost every configuration imaginable in NJ, as long as they meet the minimum barrel (18.5") and overall length (26") requirements.

Just like he said, pumps don't have legal limitations aside from the minimum barrel length, and the overall length.

I haven't checked prices in a while - put in a price request on the forum and see what the vendors come back with. If I remember correctly they go for about $300 for a basic 500 to $600 for a "milspec" 590A1 with a regular 590 somewhere in the middle. It really depends on the specific configuration.

Just for reference, this is a nice little combination to get your started:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/mossberg-model-500-12ga-3-1-home-defense-w2-barrels-32499-free-shipping

• Like 1

I haven't checked prices in a while - put in a price request on the forum and see what the vendors come back with. If I remember correctly they go for about $300 for a basic 500 to $600 for a "milspec" 590A1 with a regular 590 somewhere in the middle. It really depends on the specific configuration.

Just for reference, this is a nice little combination to get your started:

http://www.slickguns...9-free-shipping

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks!

You know, I recently saw a benelli m2 semi with a pistol grip for sale in a gun shop in NJ, which shall remain unnamed.

I asked about it, and the owner stated that most people dont read or know the law and it was perfectly legal.

All I could think of was getting a rifled slug barrel for it and making it a bear/deer gun...

So I looked it up. (I should have known better, as a reputable gun shop knows what he is doing)

As long as the guidelines are followed, as set out by the AG in 1996, a pistol grip is ok, as long as the gun:

Does not have a telescoping/folding stock

Take more than 5 rounds

Be able to take a detachable mag.

If you only have one feature (a pistol grip) a semi auto is OK and NJ legal.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

Bottom of page 4.

"Assault firearms" means:

3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock

or a pistol grip;

No, a semi-automatic shotgun with a pistol grip is NOT legal, regardless of what other features it has.

If you only have one feature (a pistol grip) a semi auto is OK and NJ legal.

Nope, PG on a semi is a no-no

iii. A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;

3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock

or a pistol grip;

Please excuse my ignorance on this. Okay. Pistol Grip with a pump action holding 5 rounds with a COLLAPSIBLE or NON-COLLAPSIBLE stock? Which scenario is Jersey legal?

Both. The key is SEMI-AUTO. A pump action is fine in either scenario.

A pump shotgun is legal in just about every configuration, as long as it meets the federal requirements for minimum barrel length, and minimum overall length. A semi-auto shotgun is illegal if the magazine (fixed or detachable) holds more than 6 rounds, has a folding/collapsible stock, or has a pistol grip.

Gee then, I wonder how this reputable gun shop had this gun for sale. I think you guys are wrong and I am going to go with the gunshop owner who probably knows better.

2 of the following...a pistol grip is only 1 of the following provided that all of the other guidelines are met...

so far 2 lawyers I asked agree with me...

Gee then, I wonder how this reputable gun shop had this gun for sale. I think you guys are wrong and I am going to go with the gunshop owner who probably knows better.

2 of the following...a pistol grip is only 1 of the following provided that all of the other guidelines are met...

Lol, good luck with that.

BTW whats the name of this "reputable gun shop" ???????

You are going by the AG guideline and Title 13, which is contrary to the law for semi-auto shotguns.

NJS 2C:39-1w(3) "Assault firearm" means a semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.

Those attorneys and your reputable gun shop are wrong.

I'd look into this a little more if I was you.

Harry

:icon_rolleyes:

You're really going to sit here and tell us we are wrong, when we literally copy/pasted the letter of the law for you......SEVERAL TIMES. Read it again. Or don't. Believe the word of a man behind the counter.

The go and buy it..but dont come here and **** if you get jammed up.

Lol, good luck with that.

BTW whats the name of this "reputable gun shop" ???????

ITs called THe BULLET HOLE, guy...wanna call Manny who has been selling guns for over 30 years, was a former secret service agent and ask him if he knows the law?

Maybe you guys can send the NJSP in there to 'jam' him up?

Whats with this board? I thought gun owners in NJ that congregated here were about freedom...you guys act like slaves! jeez..

someone comes on telling me not to **** if I get jammed up...I bet you all open your mouths as soon as you are asked a question as well?

SHEEP...BAAAAAAAA

ITs called THe BULLET HOLE, guy...wanna call Manny who has been selling guns for over 30 years, was a former secret service agent and ask him if he knows the law? More than likely you misunderstood him. Am I am pretty certain he can also read the law as written under 2C.

Maybe you guys can send the NJSP in there to 'jam' him up? Why? By your post, you are jamming him up here just fine.

Whats with this board? You know nothing about the posters on this board and how much experience and knowledge that you will find here. Stay awhile, pay attention and learn something. I thought gun owners in NJ that congregated here were about freedom...you guys act like slaves! jeez.. Freedom and Lawful GunOwnership.

someone comes on telling me not to **** if I get jammed up...I bet you all open your mouths as soon as you are asked a question as well? Don't really know what this means.

SHEEP...BAAAAAAAA :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 2

PK90, I get your points, but you are in the gun biz as well...so how would a place like the BH, not know what they are doing then?

Why would a reputable place sell something that was illegal?

he is not some 'basement hack', I mean, you know what you are doing as well and how to run a gun biz....I have to believe he knows what he is doing? or am I a total moron who thinks all of NJ gun law needs to be trashed and rewritten?

I don't think anyone is questioning whether NJ gun laws need to be changed - almost everyone on here will agree with that. However, the way the law is written now - we've all come to understand it as no pistol grips on semi-auto shotguns.

Anything can be for sale. The item itself is not illegal. Only the possession, by someone that is not allowed to have it, is illegal. As stated, perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere. Ask him again if a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip is legal for you to own as a NJ resident.

• Like 1

Anything can be for sale. The item itself is not illegal. Only the possession, by someone that is not allowed to have it, is illegal. As stated, perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere. Ask him again if a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip is legal for you to own as a NJ resident.

Nuts!!!!

Wow, Pretty much the same thing everyone else in this thread tried explaining to you, but instead of listening you just called us names because apparently no one here knows the law.

Although I do agree that the laws here are rediculous and need to be changed, if we dont want to spend some quality with Bubba we have to know and follow those laws.

• Like 2