matt6669

Sailboat Restoration

+1

I have only sprayed Awlgrip, but if that have a brushing thinner, that would be the way to go! I have also sprayed a few runabout hulls with R&M 2 part Urethane Enamels and they came out great, but I would not think this is hard enough for the seating parts on that sailboat.

Well for the past couple of days I have been sanding away and I've been able to get 3/4's of the top deck sanded down along with one of the seats completely sanded down. Tomorrow I will start to tackle some of the bottom above the water line and see what happens. There is about 5 coats of paint on it, so I'm hoping it comes off easily and gives me no problems.

Does anyone have good tips / techniques for blue printing the bottom of the hull. I'm trying to figure out what my plan of attack should be for this as I don't think sanding down the hull with a rotary sander for the bottom would be my best option. Should I look at using a rectangular shaped vibratory sander or should I use a long block sander and do it by hand. Also I'm assuming do a couple layers of base/primer and then go back and block sand again and then do my final paint would be my best option?

Thanks

M

Also has anyone ever used the interlux VC Performance Epoxy?? Thinking about possibly using this for the bottom side.

Well tonight I was able to source a lot of the rigging that I'm going to need along with a new centerboard that's already been cleaned up and painted all for 225 bucks. So that helped out a heck of a lot.

I think I finally decided on the paints and this crap is going to blow my budget.

For the bottom side I think I'm going to go with Interlux VC Performance Epoxy which is a 2 part.

For the top side I'm going to prime with Interlux Epoxy Primekote and then follow that with the 2 part Interlux Perfection.

All of this plus some thinners and solvents brings me to a total of 363 dollars OUCH!

I really hope that both the 2 gallon kit of VC Performance and the 1 gallon of Perfection will be enough for the amount of coats that I need to do

Bought the rest of my rigging finally. The only thing left to buy are going to be my halyards and I have to get those custom made which will probably be another 150-200 dollars.

I'm currently at 1070 for the project thus far, and I'll need to spend another 350-400 dollars on paint so hopefully I come in under like 1600 bucks for a finished product I'm hoping.

Got the top all finished, now I need to tackle the bottom and then start prepping for paint. YAYYY!!

• Like 1

Well here she is, my shining star of a boat :) lol

Also found a bunch of cracks in the gelcoat which I'm hoping doesn't go down into the fiberglass. Going to have to figure out what the best way to patch that up will be.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/