Butcherboy78

Ocean County Preppers

So i've been thinking of starting a group on Facebook called Ocean County Preppers, as a place for local people to go to talk about ways and methods to prepare. Also possibly getting to make some new friends and establish a good network of people, and have some meetings and see how other people prepare. How does this sound? Would any of you be interested?

This may sound stupid but prepare for what??

-Scott

Not a stupid question.

Prepare for things like Natural Disasters (snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes etc), Economic Hardship, self reliance in case things shut down, or if you're into the extreme things like complete societal collapse, government take overs, invasions, Armageddon, Zombies. You know, the usual.

But mostly its for Economic Downturn. Things like a small supply of food (ranging from a week to a year or more), water for said food, first aid, various things to keep you occupied, weapons and ammo (for hunting), etc. Its a whole life style for some, or a hobby for others. In a way its a form of security if things get hard.

I view this as important to my familys and also neighbors/community well being. there's nothing wrong with planning ahead for the unknown. my grandparents did it when they came from Italy. It's more of a self reliance thing so you are not dependent on govt. or anyone else. And with the way everything is going now a days I think it would be foolish not to.

Not a stupid question.

Prepare for things like Natural Disasters (snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes etc), Economic Hardship, self reliance in case things shut down, or if you're into the extreme things like complete societal collapse, government take overs, invasions, Armageddon, Zombies. You know, the usual.

But mostly its for Economic Downturn. Things like a small supply of food (ranging from a week to a year or more), water for said food, first aid, various things to keep you occupied, weapons and ammo (for hunting), etc. Its a whole life style for some, or a hobby for others. In a way its a form of security if things get hard.

having a "facebook" group for "prepared people" is a liability IMO..

if you.. and me.. and 5 like minded useful individuals got together.. and had a "plan".. all the non useful people who are aware of said group then become the weak point of the group.. "oh well I am not worried about an extreme disaster.. I know "vlad and mgralley" when things get bad they will save my unprepared a**.. "

if you are serious.. the LAST thing you want to do is broadcast what you are doing...

• Like 1

if you.. and me.. and 5 like minded useful individuals got together.. and had a "plan".. all the non useful people who are aware of said group then become the weak point of the group.. "oh well I am not worried about an extreme disaster.. I know "vlad and mgralley" when things get bad they will save my unprepared a**.. "

if you are serious.. the LAST thing you want to do is broadcast what you are doing...

I agree. But the Facebook group was OP's idea lol. I don't usually like to talk about what I plan for. It makes it easy for people to try and take what you have, in the name of 'equality'.

So we do it a little less publicly. I agree that announcing to the world that I am better prepared than the average Joe could be a HUGE mistake. But like I said, it would be nice to talk to other like minded individuals to learn something new and make sure something isn't overlooked.

So we do it a little less publicly. I agree that announcing to the world that I am better prepared than the average Joe could be a HUGE mistake. But like I said, it would be nice to talk to other like minded individuals to learn something new and make sure something isn't overlooked.

please do not take the following the wrong way.. but..

the problem is this..

if this is a "game" you are planning to play to kill time.. then planning a survival situation with others.. exchanging ideas and all that over the net.. there is nothing wrong with that.. sort of how we talk about "zombie apocalypse stuff" here..

but if you really believe we are destine for hard times.. civil unrest.. etc.. how are you qualifying these individuals you are accepting into your "circle".. what criteria are you using to determine if they will be a genuine asset VS another mouth to feed?

5 able bodied strong minded real individuals will out survive an entire city made up of the useless.. every person should be able to individually provide for themselves AND still have something left to offer the group.. if that is not the situation.. then they are dead weight... literally..

there is just a lot to consider if you are being serious about what you are talking about..

That actually is why i posted about it on here to see if anyone else had that point of view on it or if i was just being paranoid. I know that i would like to connect with like minded people about this since i am the only one out of my friends that is awake on current events and see the trouble on the horizon and not consumed with sports and "Jersey Shore".

No, not a game. Thats why i am even starting this thread. Because i truly believe we are going to have to rely on ourselves and each other in the possible hard times ahead. I totally agree that you need to hand pick anyone that you invite into this circle since some will just be leeches and bring down the rest. I just want to try and get the ball rolling so to speak, since i feel the time is of the essence.

I don't usually like to talk about what I plan for. It makes it easy for people to try and take what you have, in the name of 'equality'.

I was out in AZ at my folks house and they like I shop at Costco so our supply of food we have at home of non perishables is pretty good. Well some of the couples there were all talking have a good time and someone brought this subject up to the group, well one of the husbands said I have a little but we can all just come over to my parents house being they have a nice supply, just as he was finished, his wife spoke up and said to him and the group. No we won't, why do you think he has all of them guns and ammo, it's to keep people like us away if something happened. :)

Balance people, balance the supply, food for a week, ammo for a week, and so on.

Harry

I don't think this is particularly a bad thing that a person asks the question in a public forum that is catered towards a local community where there tends to be like-minded individuals (regarding prepping-- not that all firearm owners are preppers, or all preppers are firearms enthusiast [my disclaimer]). I do agree with vlad that to a certain extent people want to be discrete, but I don't think people are going to post personal phone numbers and mailing lists on a public space (I would hope not at least, and I would find myself removing them if they did-- for their sake).

Where I do think a person should be hesitant is something that has been touched on, but it's vetting the people you entrust with any type of emergency contact info (for example). But the vetting process requires a first step, and that first step requires finding like minded people.

With that said, I don't think this forum is the ground for specific discussion once you do find like minded people. I'm not as worried about the liability issue, but the fact that this is a firearms forum first. There are plenty of other forums that cater towards prepping/survivalist topics. This forum does have a small sub-forum (at the bottom), but that contains generalized type information-- and is, to me, a place for topics that a good deal of us find interesting, but do not necessarily fit in the Bucket 3 (but do fit another niche nicely). What the NJ ZED sub-forum does achieve is more of a group discussion for a relatively large niche group that has created friendships and networking, and even group events (just as the competition and events sub-forums). But I would like to think that those who have found like-minded neighbors that they can trust among us [forum members] do talk about things like emergency contact information beyond the browser.

Also, it goes back to the privacy issue. This is a public space, and even though there would never be any intrusion of privacy coming from the Admin & Mod team, this is still the internet. Google topics that come up frequently, and you'll actually notice that this forum pops relatively often at the top of search lists. And, as I always say, once it's out "there" [on the internet], it's out there forever. Maybe privacy is not a major issue to others, but I hold it near and dear to my heart.

I personally don't have anything against what you're trying to do. I think it's great to reach out and find people out there that we can trust. I do believe that in any type of emergency situation, we need to work together as a community to overcome obstacles and challenges. As the world has shown for the length of it's eternity, everyone is susceptible to emergencies, whether you live in tornado alley, on the coast that beckons hurricanes, or in an area that hasn't been struck by a major incident in decades. I think it's ridiculous when people say they could tough it out. This is because as the history of the human race has shown, humans have only survived and thrived when working as a collective in dire situations.

Good luck.

Look. If everyone thats interested in this kind of thing wants a place to go to discuss these ideas and beliefs with like minded individuals then go here:

CLICK ME!!!!!

Not only is it a website that caters to these people they all generally believe in the same thing. Its not Facebook, and thats a good thing because only people that are looking for this kind of thing will find it.

@BBK

I think that THIS forum is a great place to discuss general emergency type stuff, providing it is done so with care and discretion..

ex: "how much water do you think I would need if a storm left me "off the grid" for 4 or 5 days"

that is a TOTALLY reasonable (sane) question that doesn't make you sound like an anti society loon..

but then there is the other end of the spectrum.. something that would probably be better left OFF of the forum..

ex: How do I buy unregistered guns so when the government comes to take mine I am not left defenseless...

I am not saying the original poster asked EITHER of those things.. and trust me I understand his intent.. who knows.. I may even agree with his thinking to some degree.. but that is how I feel in regards to use on THIS forum.. general survival talk.. firearms talk.. all that is within reason.. IMO...

but the reason I replied the way I did was because he was discussing facebook.. facebook is non specialized.. and I think might be a little too broad of an audience for something so specific.. and that was all I was really saying.. "groups" like that sometimes have a tendency to draw the "wrong crowd" at which point you run the "guilty by association" risk..

nothing wrong with his intent.. I would just keep it off facebook.. but that is just me..