mike

generators

called lowes in old bridge today,they had bout 40 generators in stock.picked up a briggs and stratton 5500 watt if any body wants one dont wait too long.better to have and not need then need and not have.

• Like 2

Thinking about dropping some $ and getting a Generac 20000kw, I run the gas lines for my electrician and I can get them for a good price. I loose power allot where I live and Im sick of it

I've got a 4k generac but we're adding some rooms soon and I intend to get a whole house one, like a 15 or 20kw.

I wonder how many generators showed up at the return desk this week.

I suppose I wouldn't be as motivated to have a generator if I was on city water and had pressure during an outage. On a well, I've got nuttin.

I've got a 4k generac but we're adding some rooms soon and I intend to get a whole house one, like a 15 or 20kw.

I suppose I wouldn't be as motivated to have a generator if I was on city water and had pressure during an outage. On a well, I've got nuttin.

I have a 3500 Honda that is a little to small. We lost power Saturday night and first thing Monday morning went to Home Depot thinking there has got to be someone that bought a generator and returned it still in the box. Sure enought there was a Briggs & Stratton 5K returned at $599. Bought it, it ran the fridge and freezer along with lights for another 2 days until we got power back.

Thinking about dropping some $ and getting a Generac 20000kw, I run the gas lines for my electrician and I can get them for a good price. I loose power allot where I live and Im sick of it

Generac makes GREAT generators, better than the other brands that regular home improvement stores carry.

Generac makes GREAT generators, better than the other brands that regular home improvement stores carry.

I've installed 2 big Generacs at work and they've been very good. Both were natural gas V-8 engines with automatic transfer switches. Both worked great. The small Generacs don't seem to get very good reviews.

Costco online has an ETQ 7250 watt / 8250 surge (eastern tool & equipment inc) for $849 shipped. Nice feature on this one is the extra electronics that provides a clean sine wave for computers and such, also has remote start, and will auto throttle the engine based on load. Has enough power to run my furnace in case of frozen trees taking out the power lines.

I had to drive to the lowes in egg harbor I live in jackson, to get one of those briggs storm responder 5500 watt generators.I got it home and there was pressure built up in the engine and couldn't use the pull start and a course they rivet on the pull Assembly so you cant fix it so I had to return it. I ended up ordering one off amazon for 300 dollars cheaper no tax and only 500 watt difference and this one has a remote start. I suggest if your looking for a generator try to buy online aslong as there is enough time between the storms haha.

So, with a 15 or 20kw generator can you run the entire house? or just the essentials? - well pump, heater, fridge, some lights, etc.

I know it depends on the size of the house, so an average house.

I have a customer with a very large house and a natural gas generator, and they couldn't run the non essential appliances with what they had.

So, with a 15 or 20kw generator can you run the entire house? or just the essentials? - well pump, heater, fridge, some lights, etc.

I have a customer with a very large house and a natural gas generator, and they couldn't run the non essential appliances with what they had.

Halb,

It depends on the "non-essentials".

a 15kw generator is good for 62.5 amps at 240 volt - this will run MOST houses in their entirety up to and including 2000 sq ft (unless you've got grow lights of course).

My 4k runs the fridge(8a 110), the computers(6a), TV and pretty much all the lights(10a) without breaking a sweat.

It will also run the well pump and a few lights. It can't do both at the same time.

15k will easily run my entire house without any electric heaters and then even it might.

I do have a small house, the only draw I'm unsure of is the septic pump tank. I think that's a 2hp pump, so that alone is going to pull another 15-20amps of 220.

If I get a 20k, I've got excess capacity.

My breakdown is this:

Well, 3500watt (17.5a 220)

Fridge, 1000watt (110v)

computers 1000watts (being generous) (110v)

septic pump 4000 watts (20a 220)

lights 1000 watts (110v)

Fireplace insert fans 600 watts (110v)

11,500 watts should do it at 100%, so 15kw should be my sweet spot.

Remember, you want your nominal load not to exceed 80% of the rating on your genset for longevity. It will run at 100% but it's hard on the components and engine.

(oh and for all the electricity purists, i'm quite aware that I'm playing fast and loose with the amps to watts conversion)

My 4k runs the fridge(8a 110), the computers(6a), TV and pretty much all the lights(10a) without breaking a sweat.

It will also run the well pump and a few lights. It can't do both at the same time.

15k will easily run my entire house without any electric heaters and then even it might.

I do have a small house, the only draw I'm unsure of is the septic pump tank. I think that's a 2hp pump, so that alone is going to pull another 15-20amps of 220.

If I get a 20k, I've got excess capacity.

My breakdown is this:

Well, 3500watt (17.5a 220)

Fridge, 1000watt (110v)

computers 1000watts (being generous) (110v)

septic pump 4000 watts (20a 220)

lights 1000 watts (110v)

Fireplace insert fans 600 watts (110v)

11,500 watts should do it at 100%, so 15kw should be my sweet spot.

Remember, you want your nominal load not to exceed 80% of the rating on your genset for longevity. It will run at 100% but it's hard on the components and engine.

(oh and for all the electricity purists, i'm quite aware that I'm playing fast and loose with the amps to watts conversion)

I never thought about a well pump drawing so much current, but that makes sense since your pushing water up 100 - 400 feet, going to take a good sized pump for that.

So, does anyone have any numbers for running a boiler, I would think the fuel pump wouldn't draw a lot but the zone pumps might.

Halb,

It depends on the "non-essentials".

a 15kw generator is good for 62.5 amps at 240 volt - this will run MOST houses in their entirety up to and including 2000 sq ft (unless you've got grow lights of course).

Well if Christie awards a medical marijuana growers license to me, I'll be in touch to revisit my potential emergency power needs. :sarcastichand:

Seriously though, if I remember correctly, at 120v you would only get 31.25 amps out of the same generator?

Costco online has an ETQ 7250 watt / 8250 surge (eastern tool & equipment inc) for $849 shipped. Nice feature on this one is the extra electronics that provides a clean sine wave for computers and such, also has remote start, and will auto throttle the engine based on load. Has enough power to run my furnace in case of frozen trees taking out the power lines.

Plus $60 tax.

Amazon has the slightly smaller model (6000 watt / 6950 surge) for $749...no tax, free shipping. Might be worth looking into if you don't need the extra watts. 6000 should power just about everything you need in your home.

I never thought about a well pump drawing so much current, but that makes sense since your pushing water up 100 - 400 feet, going to take a good sized pump for that.

So, does anyone have any numbers for running a boiler, I would think the fuel pump wouldn't draw a lot but the zone pumps might.

Pumps and resistive heat sources are the biggies. Go take a look at the plate on the zone pumps. Even though those zone pumps aren't very big, they're still pretty heavy draws which is why pumps are usually 220 as it helps keep the amperage down. The fuel pump for the boiler itself is probably two to three amps.

Well if Christie awards a medical marijuana growers license to me, I'll be in touch to revisit my potential emergency power needs. :sarcastichand:

Seriously though, if I remember correctly, at 120v you would only get 31.25 amps out of the same generator?

NOPE. At 120 volts you would get double the amps not half the amps.

15kw = 15,000 watts

P=VI (power = volts * current)

15000 watts/120 volts = 125 amps

NOPE. At 120 volts you would get double the amps not half the amps.

15kw = 15,000 watts

P=VI (power = volts * current)

15000 watts/120 volts = 125 amps

OK, thanks for straightening me out. :icon_e_wink:

I guess I was thinking about how power consumption is decreased as you increase voltage (unless I'm getting that one wrong too) and trying to reverse calculate things - unsuccessfully.

My daily math needs usually revolve around square footage and cubic yards. :)

Anyone have any portable propane generators they'd recommend? I've been looking for a generator that can run just my fridge & two sump pumps and runs on propane, since it'll be much easier to store a stockpile of it and would have the dual use of also running my grill. I've grown leary of the buffalo tools Sportsman brand they sell at home depot after reading some online reviews. Outside of that brand, I've heard good things about the Generac brand and saw that they have this model:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07112156000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=07112156000P

Only thing is that the wattage output of that model is a little light, particularly if my fridge's starting wattage is truly as high as some of the estimates I've read.

Anyone have any portable propane generators they'd recommend? I've been looking for a generator that can run just my fridge & two sump pumps and runs on propane, since it'll be much easier to store and a stockpile of it would have the dual use of also running my grill. I've grown leary of the buffalo tools Sportsman brand they sell at home depot after reading some online reviews. Outside of that brand, I've heard good things about the Generac brand and saw that they have this model:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07112156000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=07112156000P

Only thing is that the wattage output of that model is a little light, particularly if my fridge's starting wattage is truly as high as some of the estimates I've read.

That model is a bit light for 2 sump pumps and a fridge. You'd have to look at the plates on each device and determine the draw. If each pump is 10amps or less at 120v and your fridge comes in right about there, that unit would squeak by. I suspect that draw on those sump pumps is a touch more than that though. It really depends on how big they are.

I do know that there are propane conversion kits available for just about any common motor.

Many of the propane units are the larger, non portable types, like the Generac Guardian series which can be configured for different fuel sources.

Plus $60 tax.

Amazon has the slightly smaller model (6000 watt / 6950 surge) for $749...no tax, free shipping. Might be worth looking into if you don't need the extra watts. 6000 should power just about everything you need in your home.

True, but check the Amazon fine print, no returns on this item. Cant beat Costco's policy, so to me its worth a few buck more.

OK, thanks for straightening me out. :icon_e_wink:

I guess I was thinking about how power consumption is decreased as you increase voltage (unless I'm getting that one wrong too) and trying to reverse calculate things - unsuccessfully.

My daily math needs usually revolve around square footage and cubic yards. :)

Watt is a measure of power. The Wattage draw stays constant. Watt = Volt x Amp

For a constant wattage, amps are decreased as you increase voltage.

Watt is a measure of power. The Wattage draw stays constant. Watt = Volt x Amp

For a constant wattage, amps are decreased as you increase voltage.

Please bear with me here.

So, I was under the impression that as you increase voltage, you decrease electric consumption, is that not so?