Maksim

Powder Cop / Lock Out Die

How did I ever load without it? While it was not really necessary on the turret press, totally needed on the progressives.

Saved me from 3 squibs today.

First one I stood up to unjam the case feeder, did not cycle the press to drop powder. Other two times, I noticed myself after taking out stubborn brass.

Using the RCBS lock out die.

Matt, had absolutely none through the thousands of rounds through the classic turret. The few I had were on the LnL, and mainly from the fact that you have so much going on at the same time.

Obviously, if you visually check every case, the amount goes down, however you are also slowing down the cyclic rate. Using the Lock out Die, you can speed that up. Hit about 350 rounds an hour with case feeder today.

I started out with the powder cop, then recently switched to the RCBS lockout because of exactly what Maks mentioned: so many things going on at once. The whole advantage of an AP press is to drive your cyclic rate up as high as possible and when you're clouding your focus with futzing with too many things at once, you can't really focus on your rhythm. Between the tactile inputs of cycling the press and the visual inputs of monitoring the press, it doesn't take much to distract you when the pace quickens.

No, its merely a visual indicator comprised of a plunger that essentially relays the charge level in the case up to a more convenient location above the die for your eye to inspect. The downside is that you are still checking each case, just more easily. The upside is that its extremely easy to reconfigure for differing charge levels/calibers. I still use it, but only for low volume stuff where speed isn't essential.

No, its merely a visual indicator comprised of a plunger that essentially relays the charge level in the case up to a more convenient location above the die for your eye to inspect. The downside is that you are still checking each case, just more easily. The upside is that its extremely easy to reconfigure for differing charge levels/calibers. I still use it, but only for low volume stuff where speed isn't essential.

ah, so it is like the RCBS lock out... just minus the lock out feature.

I have the powder cop, it sits in the cabinet. When I get the powder thru expander I'll add the lockout die.

I found that the case feeder lessens my distractions since it's one less thing to worry about. I found that polishing my primer slide keeps the one or two times that it sticks down to almost zero.

If you get a few of the primer tubes and load them before you start cranking out rounds it makes a huge difference as well.

The less distractions the better. The only squibs I've had is from loading and trying to talk to someone at the same time.

A bright light shining into the press station after the powder drop is a valuable asset as well

I am confused, after loading countless rounds on progressives I have NEVER had a squib because of a bad/missed powder charge. I am not sure how it would happen. The only missed charge I had (and I caught) was left in the powder pan on the scale. And the only squib I had was from too light a charge and bad crimp. My own doing not a machines.

I am confused, after loading countless rounds on progressives I have NEVER had a squib because of a bad/missed powder charge. I am not sure how it would happen. The only missed charge I had (and I caught) was left in the powder pan on the scale. And the only squib I had was from too light a charge and bad crimp. My own doing not a machines.

This!

Well on a progressive they are rotating around pretty quickly. So it's not like you weigh each charge in a pan and then dump it in the case. Not really an excuse because progressive reloaders should always be paying attention to the powder but you do have a lot going on at once.

Secondly I use titegroup. On a 9mm the powder doesn't even fill half the case. With a narrow case like a 9mm it's easy to not see the powder charge inside. On a .45 it is a lot easier to see. .

A powder cop or lock out die is basically just a good insurance policy. Not needed most of the time, but a great thing when it is utilized to prevent a squib.

Tim, during regular reloading, never. When I have some sort of an issue, such as primer or case feeder, and you wonder did it go all the way up, or did it index.

Only other time were when some powder got stuck in between the disc and funnel, and did not fully drop the load.

Yup, in any case, use one, cheap insurance.... especially shooting volume on a weekly basis. =)

On a 4 stage I did not have the space for it, (especially because I have a separate factory crimp die which post sizes the case), but with a powder through expander, 4 die die set and RCBS lock out... nice cheap insurance. With the case feeder, can comfortably get the cyclic rate up. What I expected would take 4 hours or so, took 2.5. I can't complain.

Like everyone said, if you check each and every case, and got plenty of time, you will catch them, and 2 out of the 3 stoppages I did check and see, however that 1 stoppage, I would of honestly not seen.

$15 die (on clearence at sportsmens center), saved me a squib in the gun, and as far as I am concerned, a $350 match fee, airfare, hotels, transfers, and cars.

This!

Easy: get distracted and short stroke it. Granted, you should have other indicators that something is wrong, but if you have an issue, correct it, and don't recall exactly where you left off with a shellplate full of 5 cases all in some mid-processing state, you might not resume exactly where you left off. I do agree that the squib is far less likely than a double when it comes to user error on the press, nonetheless, it still happens.

The convo reminded me of my first double charge scare and how i was thankful for having the powder cop. I say 'scare' because it wasn't actually a double, rather, a cocoon that was stubbornly stuck in the bottom of a 357 mag case that was already taking up a *lot* of volume before any charge was even thrown. When the charge was thrown, it was damn near the top of the case and so the flag on the powder cop shot way up and made me instantly gasp in fright. At first I assumed a double, so i poured it out, recharged and the same thing! I took that charge and tossed it on the scale and it checked out ok, so the powder measure is ok, something else must be amiss... Peering down in there, there was some cocoon with a dried up little critter still wrapped up inside that was taking up my case volume! Once I "debugged" the situation, all was ok, but nothing like the threat of a double to get your blood going!

Easy: get distracted and short stroke it. Granted, you should have other indicators that something is wrong, but if you have an issue, correct it, and don't recall exactly where you left off with a shellplate full of 5 cases all in some mid-processing state, you might not resume exactly where you left off. I do agree that the squib is far less likely than a double when it comes to user error on the press, nonetheless, it still happens.

If I have an issue midstream I am going to stop and fix it and if I can't remember what I was doing in a minute or two after I fix it I have bigger issues than a squib. I have 4 stations and everytime I pull the handle it is all the way down, all the way up and I look at each cartridge every pull. If an issue arises I stop and clear everything off and make sure all are correct. Pretty basic. I still do not get the purpose of the die, but I do not get a Lee FCD either. I guess I am old fashioned and strive to get it right the first time.

I've got a Powder Cop die in my LnL, and it's saved me a couple times, but I wonder if I should have looked at the Lock out die instead. It seems the overall opinion is that it's a little bit better.

Should I make the switch? is the Lock out really necessary as long as I am paying attention to the powder cop?

I've got a Powder Cop die in my LnL, and it's saved me a couple times, but I wonder if I should have looked at the Lock out die instead. It seems the overall opinion is that it's a little bit better.

Should I make the switch? is the Lock out really necessary as long as I am paying attention to the powder cop?

I dont think it's a necessaty (sp), but like I said earlier, it's more like an insurance policy.

If you reload for range shooting then you are fine with the powder cop. If you shoot something like USPSA, where a squib would potentially ruin an entire stage then I would go with the lock out die. of course the best thing to do is to pay complete attention when you are loading. However we don't live in a perfect world so phone calls, texts, wives, gf's and kids are always around to potentially screw you up.

• Like 1