9thMarines

Walther PPQ

I own a 99as and the other day at Bass Pro here in Harrisburg I tried on the P99Q. It feels great, the grip texture is pretty sticky feeling and the angles seem to be spot on, just like the p99. The ambi and extended slide release is very nice, but I slingshot my slides anyway so I found that change not totally unnecessary, but not an enticement.

One of the downsides the p99 have is a more pronounced felt recoil due to it's lightweight. I have alwasy shoot 99s accurately, but the recoil alway made it feel like I was holding a wildcat in my hand when I pulled the trigger. Getting back on target rapidly was sometimes tricky for follow up shots. I am curious to see if the 99q has that same feel or not. Some reviews state there is no change, others state it feels less. It is subjective.

There is one big drawback to the 99Q... it takes new proprietary mags. You can not use p99 mags in it. Not a problem to people buying their first... but I have 6 mags that I would not be able to use. So I will not be getting one until I decide to move the 99as on to some other lucky soul. Buds was selling them 99q for $550 a few weeks ago.... I have not checked today.

Exactly what level of information did that article portray. A rumored series of FTEs or FTFs during LEO training? That smaller people have a hard time with this model, which is unbelievable to me considering the size, or the the holsters purchased for the new gun are too bulky to fit inside their Passat patrol vehicles?

Friggin really.... that was probably one of the least helpful reports ever published on the web concerning a firearm.

The P99QA is the last generation with a consistent DA like pull. The AS gives the user a DA or SA choice with the loaded chamber and first round.

The PPQ is a totally new system, consistent striker fired and revolver like with a DA pull only, no decocker and a trigger insert safety.

Two different weapons now. I would imagine the author is either incorrect in it's model designation or the German LEOs are getting older model P99QA models. If they were still using P5s... this might be their model.

Plus P5s were small....

Was at Bullet Hole last night to pick up my M&P45. They did have a PPQ and I got to hold and dry fire one shot. Wow, the trigger is REALLY nice. Grip feel is good, but the trigger :dancing: The trigger face feels like a slightly wider and slightly flatter Glock trigger. It provides very very good leverage in the trigger pull. Also, it is definitely on the lighter side and the pull is relatively smooth. Considerably smoother than most other striker fired poly pistols when new. The reset is excellent.

My buddy has an original P99. I remember it being very accurate, having more recoil than most other 9mm's and having this hump on the inside of the trigger guard that rubbed the bottom of my trigger finger raw.

I just picked up 3 permits yesterday, one of which was used on the M&P. The Walther PPQ may own one of my other permits.

thanks for the good info. Go to check out at BH.

Let us know if you got the PPQ. Really what to know how much recoil/how fast can it re-battery.

Was at Bullet Hole last night to pick up my M&P45. They did have a PPQ and I got to hold and dry fire one shot. Wow, the trigger is REALLY nice. Grip feel is good, but the trigger :dancing: The trigger face feels like a slightly wider and slightly flatter Glock trigger. It provides very very good leverage in the trigger pull. Also, it is definitely on the lighter side and the pull is relatively smooth. Considerably smoother than most other striker fired poly pistols when new. The reset is excellent.

My buddy has an original P99. I remember it being very accurate, having more recoil than most other 9mm's and having this hump on the inside of the trigger guard that rubbed the bottom of my trigger finger raw.

I just picked up 3 permits yesterday, one of which was used on the M&P. The Walther PPQ may own one of my other permits.

thanks for the good info. Go to check out at BH.

Let us know if you got the PPQ. Really what to know how much recoil/how fast can it re-battery.

Have 29 days to wait for the next purchase, which will in all likelyhood be the PPQ. I have to sell off some other pistols/rifles first though.

Based on my experience w/ my buddy's P99, I would venture to guess that the PPQ has a very quick re-battery and also, very quick, very short and very identifiable reset.

The ONLY downside I see to this pistol is the cost of mags and parts (recoil springs, etc.). I haven't seen mags available anywhere yet. I understand though, Gen2 P99 mags (whatever that means) work flawlessly on the PPQ. Also, night sights and holsters for the P99 will work on the PPQ.

"I understand though, Gen2 P99 mags (whatever that means) work ..."

Rauchman, sorry but that is not the case. The P99 mags are taller in the front of the mag then the PPQ mags. Therefore the P99 mag lip bumps the feed ramp. The bore axis is lower in the PPQ and the longer mags of the P99 do not fit.

Bullet Holes' price on the PPQ is $691. Pricey

Price quotes from NJGF vendors and others ranged from a low of $621 to a high of $650,

so Bullet Hole is a bit high.

Still trying to decide whether to go for the PPQ or scrape a few more bucks

together and go for a Browning High Power.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I saw some one talk about that baby eagle's mag works on Walther forum you may check it out.

Have 29 days to wait for the next purchase, which will in all likelyhood be the PPQ. I have to sell off some other pistols/rifles first though.

Based on my experience w/ my buddy's P99, I would venture to guess that the PPQ has a very quick re-battery and also, very quick, very short and very identifiable reset.

The ONLY downside I see to this pistol is the cost of mags and parts (recoil springs, etc.). I haven't seen mags available anywhere yet. I understand though, Gen2 P99 mags (whatever that means) work flawlessly on the PPQ. Also, night sights and holsters for the P99 will work on the PPQ.

Baby eagles are getting prolific. I think there are now three or more models called baby eagles. In regards to p99 mags the newest baby eagles are p99 clones. Mags are same Moe. I have two for my p99. But they will not work in the pow.

I've thought about buying a P99 as it is a bigger version of the P22. Even though the P22 is small, I find the ergonomics excellent and could only imagine how comfortable the P99 is in your hand. Most P99 owners say it molds to your hand, instead of your hands molding to gun.

I wouldn't like the PPQ because I hate DAO.

Bhp totally different gun. I would say cz 75.

Finally got a chance to check out a CZ 75B. Very favorably impressed.

Leaning in that direction. Really didn't want a "plastic" pistol",

but do have to say the PX4 wasn't bad either. . Thanks.

For plastic pistols, the Px4 is really nice, good ergos, interesting design of the rotating barrel. Nick seems to like his.

In my opinion, here is my idea of pistols, separated between polymer and metal in the 9mm/40 cal game.

Plastic Fantastic

1. HK P30/L Bar none, if you got the cash, and want a plastic pistol, this is it. Uber reliable, can't kill it, extremely comfortable and ergonomic (3 different sizes of panels, for 3 places for a custom grip). Only issue, Price. $750+ may be out of reach. But well worth it. I regret selling mine.

2. Sig SP2009/SP2022. Its a sig, and its polymer. Quite nice pistols, very very very accurate. 9mm has 15 round standard capacity mags. Has sig features, decocker, etc. Does not soak up recoil as well as the metal brothers, but quite nice pistol. Especially now that you can find them being closed out? at around $399. Cons: very limited aftermarket, mags might be a bit more expensive.

3. Smith & Wesson M&P line, in particular the 9L and 9Pro. Very ergonomic, striker fired (if it is your game, if you like glocks, this is your gun). Quite rapidly expanding after market. Early variants had issues, have since been worked out. Reasonably priced, however... very tough to find them now, as demand for LEO departments is taking up all of the production.

4. Glocks. It is what it is. Ultra reliable, expansive after market for any mods. Cons. Its a glock, "wierd" grip angle for some, the large frames are just uncomfortable for some, mushy trigger no matter what, it will never be a 1911 trigger, or a crisp CZ SA.

"My fisher price first hand gun." and "The toyota corrolla of the gun world, ubber reliable, but you wouldn't wanna be caught driving one."

Nothing really against them, I own one, soon to be too, but by far, totally replaceable.

Metal guns

1. 1911 - Almost any kind. Its over 100 years old, but nothing wrong with it. =P you can even get a high cap 2011 version. Trigger, grip, whats not to love. a Bazzillion flavors. Only downside, price.... basic versions in 45 acp starting at $500, you need to spend $850 to $1,000 to get a good one with all the finishes. My personal picks in 9mm are Smith Wesson 1911 9mm Pro Series (around $1200 if you can find one), Springfield Loaded, and STI Spartan. Spartan from dawson precision is a terrific value for a 1911. Around $650?

2. This is a toss up, between this and the next one.... CZ-75/85/TS etc.

For years it was unknown, unpopular, then the secret was let out of the bag, popularity rose, along with prices. However, 90% of the features of the 1911, 50% of the price. Great great guns, high cap of 15 rounds (yes you can find them) in 9mm, amazing ergonomics, very crisp trigger, especially with a good trigger job. DA is great too. One of the most popular guns with international shooters.

3. Browning High Power. The original high capacity 1911. 13 rounds, (you can easily find 15 round 9mm mags) all metal classic, that is a joy to hold and shoot. At one time, I had 4 of them, now down to only 2. Very collectible, very very good guns. Cons: Price. New they are close to $900. Look for a good used deal, $650 to $750 for one in great condition is a no brainer, especially if it is an all made in Belgium model. New ones are made in belgium, assembled in Portugal.

If you are a collector, there are licensed, and unlicensed copies of the 1935 original, FN, FM, Canadian, Nazi, and Israeli high powers are all there waiting to be discovered.

Keep in mind, for range sessions, this is a great gun, although I feel bad shooting mine (if you know what kind of condition I keep my guns in), and the high power being SAO (single action only) is not a great gun for the gun games, USPSA in particular, as it would be lumped into the same division as all the modified 1911's, etc. SAO excludes it from the production division.

Keep in mind, they are also avail in 40 S&W, albeit in limited numbers, and there were the BDM models, that were DA/SA.

4. Sigs. P226, P229, P228. Amazing handguns, especially the older ones. Newer ones may have QC issues. I am not a sig expert, but enjoyed my time with a Sig P226 USPSA edition. It is a sig, so the decocker does not make it Leftie friendly.

Those are the main guns that are readily available on the market now. Some lesser known guns that deserve a look.

Magnum Research/Bul Baby Desert Eagle. CZ clones, come in all calibers, in both all steel and polymer frames. Compacts, full size, Semi compacts.

EAA Witness line of guns. Not to often seen in stores, but any vendor can get them from EAA. They are made by Tanfoglio, perhaps the best known and largest designer of CZ based guns. Tanfoglio even made alot of parts/frames/guns for Magnum Research Baby Eagles, and BUL. Terrific value. www.eaacorp.com go there, check them out. They are a cheaper version of the CZ's.

Hope that helps. The above comments are based on me shooting, and owning them. I either own all of the guns above, or owned them at some point, so this was more than just "feeling" them at the store. If you have any specific questions, will be glad to answer them. I am not a glock, or a sig expert, however there are folks that are damn close, and I am sure they will be glad to answer them.

For plastic pistols, the Px4 is really nice, good ergos, interesting design of the rotating barrel. Nick seems to like his.

In my opinion, here is my idea of pistols, separated between polymer and metal in the 9mm/40 cal game.

Plastic Fantastic

1. HK P30/L Bar none, if you got the cash, and want a plastic pistol, this is it. Uber reliable, can't kill it, extremely comfortable and ergonomic (3 different sizes of panels, for 3 places for a custom grip). Only issue, Price. $750+ may be out of reach. But well worth it. I regret selling mine.

2. Sig SP2009/SP2022. Its a sig, and its polymer. Quite nice pistols, very very very accurate. 9mm has 15 round standard capacity mags. Has sig features, decocker, etc. Does not soak up recoil as well as the metal brothers, but quite nice pistol. Especially now that you can find them being closed out? at around $399. Cons: very limited aftermarket, mags might be a bit more expensive.

3. Smith & Wesson M&P line, in particular the 9L and 9Pro. Very ergonomic, striker fired (if it is your game, if you like glocks, this is your gun). Quite rapidly expanding after market. Early variants had issues, have since been worked out. Reasonably priced, however... very tough to find them now, as demand for LEO departments is taking up all of the production.

4. Glocks. It is what it is. Ultra reliable, expansive after market for any mods. Cons. Its a glock, "wierd" grip angle for some, the large frames are just uncomfortable for some, mushy trigger no matter what, it will never be a 1911 trigger, or a crisp CZ SA.

"My fisher price first hand gun." and "The toyota corrolla of the gun world, ubber reliable, but you wouldn't wanna be caught driving one."

Nothing really against them, I own one, soon to be too, but by far, totally replaceable.

Metal guns

1. 1911 - Almost any kind. Its over 100 years old, but nothing wrong with it. =P you can even get a high cap 2011 version. Trigger, grip, whats not to love. a Bazzillion flavors. Only downside, price.... basic versions in 45 acp starting at $500, you need to spend $850 to $1,000 to get a good one with all the finishes. My personal picks in 9mm are Smith Wesson 1911 9mm Pro Series (around $1200 if you can find one), Springfield Loaded, and STI Spartan. Spartan from dawson precision is a terrific value for a 1911. Around $650?

2. This is a toss up, between this and the next one.... CZ-75/85/TS etc.

For years it was unknown, unpopular, then the secret was let out of the bag, popularity rose, along with prices. However, 90% of the features of the 1911, 50% of the price. Great great guns, high cap of 15 rounds (yes you can find them) in 9mm, amazing ergonomics, very crisp trigger, especially with a good trigger job. DA is great too. One of the most popular guns with international shooters.

3. Browning High Power. The original high capacity 1911. 13 rounds, (you can easily find 15 round 9mm mags) all metal classic, that is a joy to hold and shoot. At one time, I had 4 of them, now down to only 2. Very collectible, very very good guns. Cons: Price. New they are close to $900. Look for a good used deal, $650 to $750 for one in great condition is a no brainer, especially if it is an all made in Belgium model. New ones are made in belgium, assembled in Portugal.

If you are a collector, there are licensed, and unlicensed copies of the 1935 original, FN, FM, Canadian, Nazi, and Israeli high powers are all there waiting to be discovered.

Keep in mind, for range sessions, this is a great gun, although I feel bad shooting mine (if you know what kind of condition I keep my guns in), and the high power being SAO (single action only) is not a great gun for the gun games, USPSA in particular, as it would be lumped into the same division as all the modified 1911's, etc. SAO excludes it from the production division.

Keep in mind, they are also avail in 40 S&W, albeit in limited numbers, and there were the BDM models, that were DA/SA.

4. Sigs. P226, P229, P228. Amazing handguns, especially the older ones. Newer ones may have QC issues. I am not a sig expert, but enjoyed my time with a Sig P226 USPSA edition. It is a sig, so the decocker does not make it Leftie friendly.

Those are the main guns that are readily available on the market now. Some lesser known guns that deserve a look.

Magnum Research/Bul Baby Desert Eagle. CZ clones, come in all calibers, in both all steel and polymer frames. Compacts, full size, Semi compacts.

EAA Witness line of guns. Not to often seen in stores, but any vendor can get them from EAA. They are made by Tanfoglio, perhaps the best known and largest designer of CZ based guns. Tanfoglio even made alot of parts/frames/guns for Magnum Research Baby Eagles, and BUL. Terrific value. www.eaacorp.com go there, check them out. They are a cheaper version of the CZ's.

Hope that helps. The above comments are based on me shooting, and owning them. I either own all of the guns above, or owned them at some point, so this was more than just "feeling" them at the store. If you have any specific questions, will be glad to answer them. I am not a glock, or a sig expert, however there are folks that are damn close, and I am sure they will be glad to answer them.

Many thanks for the great input.