TheLugNutZ

Collapsible stock question

Im thinking about going to buy my first AR soon. The stocks are way too far extended for my liking. So could I just "re-pin" the stock that it comes with? Would that be legal to do? I can't see how anyone would ever know, or why it would be illegal for that matter. Its just a matter of comfort.

If you unpin the stock while in NJ you are in possession of an assault weapon by NJ State Law. If you drill out the pin, and re-pin it at a different position, what are the chances that the cops are going to break down your door in the process? Jus' sayin'

Guest billyd1119

Hello I found this forum and topic in a search, and maybe you can help clear something up for me regarding pinned stocks.

Can I buy a lower that has an adj. stock on it take it to my work shop, where there are no other ar's/parts, and pin it my self?

Also would an FFL let me walk out the door to do said work myself?

Thank You

Wasn't there just a case recently that came out to say this interpretation of the law is stupid and the guy was held not guilty?

There was a case, yes... however IIRC that particular case law only covers the county in which the case was heard(Burlington Co???)

From my knowledge, It didn't set any precedent, just that the jury in that situation chose to take the defense's story over the prosecutor's around what is defined as a "collapsible stock". The judge didn't write an opinion on the law as was the case for the Norinco AK look-alike case where the judge threw the case out due to the NJ law being unconstitutionally vague.

It was sorta jury nullification, similar as in how the jury in NYC came up with a not guilty for illegal HG possession for that Florida guy that was caught with a loaded HG in his glovebox. He was blatantly guilty.

I think only appellate courts can set precedent. ie. you can't cite a court case decision to help you in court unless it's an appellate decision.

Took my 15 yr old son shooting my AR 15-22 today. He wanted to adjust the stock. I told him that would be illegal. He didn't believe me. I assured him it was the law. He said it made no sense.

jersey sucks and our government don't do nothing to fix the stupid laws like this. but they spend money everywhere else and bother the good guys and let the felons go with a slap on the wrist. that's why im gonna move out of jersey and go to pa. much better laws for gun owners and other things

I think only appellate courts can set precedent. ie. you can't cite a court case decision to help you in court unless it's an appellate decision.

Took my 15 yr old son shooting my AR 15-22 today. He wanted to adjust the stock. I told him that would be illegal. He didn't believe me. I assured him it was the law. He said it made no sense.

See, I'd bet if you started him at 10 he would have had the same response, just goes to prove, kids have more common sense than politicians.

Guest billyd1119

Yes you can do that.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I really didn't think an FFL would do that unless the stock on the lower was pinned.

Hahaha that's actually one of the funniest things I have heard. Just hope he doesn't say anything like that in school then it's strait to the psycologist which we all know helped create these stupid laws that have no logic behind them, but look at the bright side the psycology feild is blooming with "mental evaluations".

I think the biggest irony of this whole dumb law is that you could just pin the stock to the shortest setting (or buy a tiny stock) and be legal. I'm assuming this law is meant to make the rifle less "portable" well... If a short stock is legal, the collapsible stock in this case would adjust only to make the rifle longer, which is illegal. Makes a ton of sense... :icon_rolleyes:

I think the biggest irony of this whole dumb law is that you could just pin the stock to the shortest setting (or buy a tiny stock) and be legal. I'm assuming this law is meant to make the rifle less "portable" well... If a short stock is legal, the collapsible stock in this case would adjust only to make the rifle longer, which is illegal. Makes a ton of sense... :icon_rolleyes:

Agreed, makes no sense at all. Then again, lots of laws in NJ make no sense...

On a side note, at what length do you guys have your stocks pinned at? Im about 5'10 with (i would say) average arm length. I would like this rifle to be as short and portable as possible why staying legal and having the stock at a comfortable length.

The only AR I have ever fired had a standard A2 stock on it, and while it was comfortable to shoot, i think i can certainly go shorter IMO...

Honestly I really doubt the ATF is going to be kicking your door in if you have a collapsible stock and an ar in the same house. I wouldnt install it unpinned and go waving it around your town. But of you have it on a shotgun or pin it then install it on an ar you should be fine. I was actually talking to a state trooper the other day about this. He put it as this. If your a gun runner, drug dealer or other criminal they would definitely use those laws to send you away. But if you are just regular joe tax payer and are attempting to follow the laws you'll be fine.