jonny.montana

GoPro OR Contour CAMERA???

GoPro all the way.

For a few reasons. There is a reason why everyone buy's GoPro's. The HD on GoPro's are fantastic. I feel that the GoPro is much more compatible with different uses and mounting hardware. And it's fallen off my bike once and it was completely fine, so I would say it's pretty damn durable/reliable.

The Contour is nice but I feel it is limited due to what I feel is a small backing behind it.

Go big or go home with the GoPro.

Contour all the way. GoPro's are expensive for what you get. Also they're large, blocky, and intrusive. I run with my ContourHD 1080p all day during USPSA/IDPA matches and I have no issues. Heck - I've even got a Picatinny mount so I can mount it on my AR.

GoPro's were nice 2+ years ago. They lack a number of important features that they are only finally adding through the unbelievably slow addition of their "back packs" for remote control, etc.

Their video is good, but not really pro quality.

The latest video cameras in heavy professional racing use are these:

Drift HD170

We're selling the two Chase Cam pro setups from our rally car and replacing them with the Drift cameras (which retail for a 5th of what the Chase Cams cost us).

I actually didnt know about the drift one but doing a quick research seems to be the one with better quality at day light at night the GoPro is better.. still dont know what to get...

check this video,.

So far we have 1 for GoPro, 1 for Contour and 1 for Drift..

I like the contour because its smaller and more convenient form.. GoPro looks like a miniature camera .. how im going to run with my AR-15 with this huge thing attached to my rail...

now im thinking about the drift looks pretty good and the price is good too...

• Like 1

You may be concerned about the picture/color on the Contour, but you CAN adjust the color/exposure/etc through the Contour software.

This was shot on a cloudy/overcast day.

Funny thing I was just watching some of your IDPA videos from Somerset. I've been thinking about getting a gopro, but now i'm not sure.

we use the go pro on the race boats it works very well..

Here is the Go pro on all fired up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2339234332285&ref=notif&notif_t=video_reply#!/photo.php?v=116449638396879&set=t.100001136235261&type=3&theater

After looking at the other cameras (I own a GoPro), there seems to be ONE very important aspect that some are overlooking...durability. I use my gopro to film my track runs. I have had the camera fall off twice. Both times, although the outer case was damaged ($20 replacement) the camera is unscathed. There is a reason why they don't have LCD screens...they are easy to break. I like the other options as well, but it honestly depends what you need it for. For me, the gopro has proven, time and time again, to be the most durable and easiest way to film "extreme" stuff and not have to worry about losing your data. The Gopro is waterproof as well, provided you use the solid door.

I like how the Contour streamlines so much better on a head-type mount (headband, hat, helmet, etc). While it would be interesting to see how a Contour could be used to browse and critique one's shooting, the other possibilities for application seem to also favor the more streamlined and low-profile Contour. However, I really, really like the quality and software for the GoPro.

I will end up with one, once I realize how to actively and efficiently use one. Once I reach that conclusion, I'll be slightly more poor. :icon_mrgreen:

The software as far as editing on the contour is ultra basic. I will just use imovie for now. Picture quality is pretty good so far. I've only done a couple test videos to test positioning of the mount, but they were done indoors with the metering settings set for a normal day outdoors, and they still looked good. One of my favorite features of this thing is the ability to rotate the lens to straighten your shot, with laser assist. I've got the windshield mount coming tomorrow so friday i'll take it flying with me and post up a video.

The software as far as editing on the contour is ultra basic. I will just use imovie for now. Picture quality is pretty good so far. I've only done a couple test videos to test positioning of the mount, but they were done indoors with the metering settings set for a normal day outdoors, and they still looked good. One of my favorite features of this thing is the ability to rotate the lens to straighten your shot, with laser assist. I've got the windshield mount coming tomorrow so friday i'll take it flying with me and post up a video.

I use Windows Live Movie Maker, myself. It gets the job done.

For editing Sony Vegas Basic can do a lot for little money (around $50-$60).

There is a bit of a learning curve though. I edit all my vids with it and

you can get some more advanced looking cuts with it.

I can't stand WMM, but yes, get's the job done and it's what I started with.

I got my windshield mount yesterday and was able to try it out today. This is the first real test that i've done with the ContourHD. Overall I was impressed with the picture quality and the color rendition. I'll post the link for the video if anyone wants to check it out. It starts out at about 4:30pm and continues until sunset before I ran out of memory on the 2 gig card that comes with it. This was just a quick edit using imovie on my Macbook, very simple program to use. Here's the video.

Nice looking video out of that thing..

Oh, now tell me it doesn't suck when you get out of work and have to drive home in the traffic you just flew over... :girlwerewolf:

Yes it does Harry. I've thought about wanting to buy a small airplane to fly to and from work, but don't think it would be very cost effective to do such a thing.