zoid

Sig 228 Barrel Crown Wear

Hey guys, take a look at the crown of my Sig 228 Barrel. I'm not sure why it's so rough like this.

You can feel these marks with your finger. Kinda like someone took a file to it or something. The

gun was bought used, but in excellent condition. To be honest at the time I did not check for this

wear so not sure if it came like this or not. I put around 500 rounds through it, previous round

count was around 200.

First I'd like to know what causes this.

Secondly I'd like to know if it's worth re-crowning. I think it's $80 for Sig to do it which is a lot.

Thanks for your guys help.

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

I will wait for the folks that work and know these better than I to chime in, but with an unknown round count total, I wold but spend 80 on doing that work when you could probably buy a new replacement barrel for 130-150 bucks and know what you have.

However on first glance, it doesn't look like it would impact accuracy, and doesn't look unsafe, so if it's not a functional problem and you can live with it I say just keep it as is if you don't want to put money into it.

Do you shoot lead reloads or are you using fmj?

I would try to clean it with a brass brush, if not I would get the recrown done. I would also get a different barrel for it anyway. That barrel is part of the triple serial #'d guns and I wouldn't personally shoot the life out of that barrel. I would get a replacement barrel to go to the range with.

These guns aren't around that much, so I would try to keep it as nice as possible.

Do you shoot lead reloads or are you using fmj?

I would try to clean it with a brass brush, if not I would get the recrown done. I would also get a different barrel for it anyway. That barrel is part of the triple serial #'d guns and I wouldn't personally shoot the life out of that barrel. I would get a replacement barrel to go to the range with.

These guns aren't around that much, so I would try to keep it as nice as possible.

Thanks guys. Bryan I only shot lead out of it last night, around 150 rounds, but these marks were here long

before that shooting session. Prior to that I was using Berry's 124gr hollow points which are plated.

I will try to give it a scrubbing with my cleaning brush, maybe it will come off and I just didn't try hard

enough.

Didn't think about just buying a new barrel, not a bad call.

Dip the end of the barrel in mercury. Don't breathe it in!

That is, if you can get your hands on some mercury, of course :D

You guys are some mad scientists! How would I explain to my

wife why all the thermometers are broken in the house?

You could also let the barrel soak in some cleaner for a while. Make sure you use a brass brush though, not a tooth brush.

My point is if your gonna shoot that gun, use a different barrel. This way the numbers all match if you decide to sell the gun later one and it's not shot to ****.

IIRC white vinegar will also clean the lead. Don't let it soak too long though - remember vinegar is acetic acid (which is why this works). Definitely not erosion, just deposits.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What kind of loads are you shooting out of the gun?

Please tell me you are not loading Berrys to full FMJ loads and keeping them at lead loads?

Berrys can have the jacket plating ripped off pretty quick.

I'm use Accurate #2 and I am using the start load off their load data sheet

for 124gr hollow points, around 4gr I believe. It's a pretty light load,

not sure if that is good or bad.

For the Lead they are 115gr wadcutters. I think I'm at 3.7gr for those.

Also a very light load.

I'm a fairly new reloader/shooter so if ya see something wrong don't be

afraid to tell me. My feelings won't be hurt... much. :)

Pretty good job, what did you use to clean it?

Just some regular cleaning solution and a brass brush (Gunslick Kit).

Then used a bore snake and used it to "floss" the crown a bit.