Ray Ray

1911 disassemble

Well, as a newbie to 1911s and having fully converted to the platform I need to learn to assemble and disassemble one for maintenance and cleaning. Are there any good youtube video's that my fellow slab sided brethren here recommend?

Jesus Christ, they make it look so friggen easy.

A field strip is really that easy!

IMO, the most difficult part is making sure the barrel link lines up with the slide stop, not that it is that difficult. I find that it is easier to not worry about the disassembly/assembly notch being lined up, just make sure the link is. The push the slide stop in, angled down so stop goes into the trigger guard instead of scratching up the frame (idiot mark, I've done that before). Then line up the notch, and pull the stop out slightly, move upward, and then push back in lined up. That way you don't have to get frustrated when you think everything is lined up, but the notch is just out of position, when you push down on the stop it may not go in all the way, and you could leave yourself an idiot mark on the frame, if any of that makes sense.

The first time I took mine apart I took like 20 mins just to figure out that the slide wouldnt move forward because of the "firing pin plunger lever" kept stopping the slide.... Felt like an idiot after that but now its a breeze.

That hollow spring plug looks rather annoying though

Yeah, you must take care when re-installing the slide stop to avoid the idiot scratch. It only takes one whoops and your gun is marked! Its the easiest to install it by putting it in and sliding it up but thats what gets you the scratch, you have to push it straight in.

Yeah, you must take care when re-installing the slide stop to avoid the idiot scratch. It only takes one whoops and your gun is marked! Its the easiest to install it by putting it in and sliding it up but thats what gets you the scratch, you have to push it straight in.

I don't own any 1911s, but ran across this a couple days ago on my interweb travels:

http://1911-ispt.com/

I have both a SA and a S&W 1911, both without idiot scratches. Instead of putting something on to protect the frame, just put the slide stop straight in. Its super easy on the S&W, requires some finess on the SA, but its better than having to use a protector every time. bleh. If you have to, hold back the plunger with a flat bladed screw driver as you insert the slide stop straight in.

Took me around 45 minutes the first time when I first got my 1911. 20 minutes of which were spend looking for

the bushing that flew into the next state. After the first time it's super smooth sailing.

Took me around 45 minutes the first time when I first got my 1911. 20 minutes of which were spend looking for

the bushing that flew into the next state. After the first time it's super smooth sailing.

Reminds me of the tool definition for Wire wheel:

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench at the speed of light.

Jesus Christ, they make it look so friggen easy.

I'm new to them also, and I will say they are easy to work on, haven't done any special work yet but will in time, my GSG is a series 80 and I will have to make a few changes to that being it has the Mag disconnect that I don;t think guns should have in the first place.

Ray I saw someone in a video once that put a small piece of electrical tape on the frame to protect it from scratching. After putting a scratch in mine once I do this every time now.

Found a video for the TRP.

Thanks, that video explained everything to me. Gun is clean!