Sign in to follow this  
siderman

Gun sock recomendations?

Midway USA has them on sale right now. I bought the six-pack and they protect the rifles in the safe just fine. I only bought them for when I'm clumsy and bang one rifle against the another.

I love Midway. Every time I need one thing I leave their website having bought a half dozen items. There service and products are 1st class all the way.

I have the Midway ones as well and they work fine. I'm not sure what they are expected to do beyond minimal protection, but they work very well for that. They will fit probably any normal rifle or smaller rifle with scope (I have a 10/22 w/ 4x scope that it fits). Anything larger than that though and it won't fit (I have a Marlin .308 Bolt w/ 3-9x40 scope and an AR-15 and neither fit). I think they make larger ones though for scoped rifles and rifles with pistol grip. I have 3 shotguns and my 10/22 in them and just use them as their cases for transporting to the range so I don't have to fumble with so many hard cases in my small trunk.

Of course they're going to rust, it's not a sealed environment. As I said, I don't expect it to do anything beyond minimal protection like a soft case. Guns will rust in a safe or a hard case too without dessicant. Maybe there are certain gun socks that will help prevent rust, and if that's what you're looking for, then no, don't get the Midway ones. I haven't looked into gun socks for that purpose, so I'm not familiar with them. All I wanted, like NJJim, was something to prevent dings and scratches when I'm moving them around in the safe.

Yea guys, I'm not concerned about the rust etc, thats an envioromental issue worthy of another discussion. Im looking for a sock thats not cheap,thin but has a material of some substance for protection from dings,scratches from moving around. Dont want to buy some and say wtf is this garbage.