this_is_nascar

Squirrel Hunting

I've always thought the .22LR was the best for hunting squirrel. Not that I've ever hunted squirrel (or anything else for that matter), but it just makes sense to me that the caliber has enough umph to do the job and preserve the meat. Last night, I finally caught up on the last couple of Hairy Bikers episodes and they went to a place where they ended up using shotguns to hunt squirrels. I thought I heard them say something about a 20-gauge and a 12-guage.

Do using either sound right when hunting squirrels? None of the kills were ground shots. They were all bagged while up high in the trees.

Squirrel hunting is fun and they're tasty as well. I have zillions!

Ideally I would shoot a .410 at close range and aim for the head to preserve the meat which is primarily the back bu the rear legs. You need a minimum of about for to make a meal for one if you're not a big eater and have side dishes.

Here's the deal... You sit at the base of a tree and wait. You must be very quiet. Very stealth you pop one in the head, and the rest will run away. They'll come back in about 10-15 minutes. Repeat.

Buy the way I'll be unloading a .410/22 combo in the near future(interchangable barrels).

I am 22 mins. from Sterling Forest in N.Y. And .22's are legal to hunt squirrels with there. Just need a N.Y. non-res. license and a $5 park permit to hunt. Big mature hardwoods and it's perfect for squirrels. It's fun to walk around with a .22 there. I will wait until after deer season ends and bird hunting season is slow to venture there.

I am 22 mins. from Sterling Forest in N.Y. And .22's are legal to hunt squirrels with there. Just need a N.Y. non-res. license and a $5 park permit to hunt. Big mature hardwoods and it's perfect for squirrels. It's fun to walk around with a .22 there. I will wait until after deer season ends and bird hunting season is slow to venture there.

I am rapidly startign to think the I should be hunting in New York, not New Jersey.

THanks for the info Parker.

Good squirrel hunting tip....They tend to run around the far side of the tree to avoid you....when they do this, take your hat or whatever and throw it beyond the tree...They will see it and run around to the other side of the tree...the side thats facing you....You now have a clear shot, and a tree as a backstop....

Good squirrel hunting tip....They tend to run around the far side of the tree to avoid you....when they do this, take your hat or whatever and throw it beyond the tree...They will see it and run around to the other side of the tree...the side thats facing you....You now have a clear shot, and a tree as a backstop....

Hey Fish- See you've been squirrel hunting before...LOL

It looks like I probably didn't communicate my question very well. In short, why the hell would someone use a 12-gauge or 20-gauge shotgun to hunt squirrel?

Easy answer. In the early fall when canopy cover in big hardwoods is thick and heavy, squirrels high up in the tree limbs scampering about are easier to hit with a load of #5's or #6's that a single .22 round. And shooting up in the air with small lead shot in thick woods where you know your background is a bit safer as well. Mast oaks given the room can exceed 100' in height. If you are at right angles to the target in question, the distance becomes further. So you could easily be looking at a 40 to 50 yard shot. When using a shotgun, I've had best luck on those long shots with one that's tightly chocked. I used to take quite a few squirrels with my 12 ga. turkey gun and a .687 choke tube.

It looks like I probably didn't communicate my question very well. In short, why the hell would someone use a 12-gauge or 20-gauge shotgun to hunt squirrel?

Because it works damn well. I cant really justify getting a .410 just to go squirrel hunting. Or if you're out hunting birds and happen across some tree rats. Now a 28ga would be nice to happen across. :icon_twisted:

I was just figuring that using a shotgun wouldn't leave much usable meat in such a small animal.

If you are far enough away, and shooting through some brush, not every pellet gets there. And you want to use a pellet size with enough retained energy so that when it arrives on target it ensures a lethal hit. What you don't want happening is wounding the animal to then watch it limp to its nest high up in the tree and never come out again. You owe it to your quarry to make things as final as possible. I know some people who use #4's. I split the difference and prefer #5's. The nice thing about the smaller gauges is with the right shot size they are perfect and not as devastating for close shots because of the smaller payloads.

If you want to hunt squirrels heres what you do you go to Dicks you buy a Big Cat 1200 pellet rifle you buy Kodiak 10.5 Grain pellets you practice shooting bullseyes you set up a bird feeder 25 yards away fill it with bird seed and sit they will show up. The pellet rifle doesnt wake the neighbors, the bullseye practice makes for an ethical head shot with the heavy pellet its an instant kill, you dont have to worry about a backstop because lead pellets loose there momentum as soon as they hit the skull. However you do have to watch out for the ones carrying the UZIS they shoot back

If you want to hunt squirrels heres what you do you go to Dicks you buy a Big Cat 1200 pellet rifle you buy Kodiak 10.5 Grain pellets you practice shooting bullseyes you set up a bird feeder 25 yards away fill it with bird seed and sit they will show up. The pellet rifle doesnt wake the neighbors, the bullseye practice makes for an ethical head shot with the heavy pellet its an instant kill, you dont have to worry about a backstop because lead pellets loose there momentum as soon as they hit the skull. However you do have to watch out for the ones carrying the UZIS they shoot back

Hunting with a pellet gun is illegal in NJ and is a violation of F&W rules and will get you all sorts of tickets. It's really stupid to advocate breaking the laws on the internet forum.

BTW - nothing LOOSES momentum. A pellet may lose momentum...

12g with #7 or #6s... aim for head area. Try not to take body shots so you get some useable meat. Hunt them now in the early winter to cut down on parasites. I like fried squirel... it can be tasty dredged in a spicy breading crust.

I have played sniper with them using a .22lr... much more fun but like has been stated before, not doable in NJ.

I usually hunt squirrel during pheasant season. I'll go out for birds in the morning and when I either bag out or get skunked I get over to a different spot and have a lot of fun blasting away. I usually use my 12 ga. double barrel Rossi from the 70's or a Mossberg 500 12 ga. 6-7 bird shot is usually what I use. The squirrels are definitely tasty when prepared correctly. Make sure to blanch the meat before placing it in a pan. It lightens the meat.