Ronky

NVG & IR

I'm new to the forum. Just reaching out to see if any members have the gear and run their rifles at night. I'm interested in exploring possible night shoots using NVGs and IR lasers. Anyone out there with this type of kit/setup? Down the road, it would be great to get some type of group together for collaborative night training. Any suggestions are welcome.

I've attended several tactical shooting courses, including night operations.

I'm new to the forum. Just reaching out to see if any members have the gear and run their rifles at night. I'm interested in exploring possible night shoots using NVGs and IR lasers. Anyone out there with this type of kit/setup? Down the road, it would be great to get some type of group together for collaborative night training. Any suggestions are welcome.

I've attended several tactical shooting courses, including night operations.

Good luck finding a range in NJ that will let you do it.

:-)

Yeah, I've thought about that. I lived in Vermont for a while and we'd just head out to someone's farm and blast all night long. Like you said, not very likely in a club setting. But what about some of the indoor places that are open 24/7? If no other members are present, is shooting low or no-light not permitted?

Yeah, I've thought about that. I lived in Vermont for a while and we'd just head out to someone's farm and blast all night long. Like you said, not very likely in a club setting. But what about some of the indoor places that are open 24/7? If no other members are present, is shooting low or no-light not permitted?

You may be able to rent an indoor range, then shut out the lights? However that really limits what you can do, particularly with rifles.

I generally head down to a friend's farm and gravel pit in Maryland for anything like that.

wait for Shane45 to chime in. I know he got night vision and all the good stuff that we all drool over!

Cool. Eager to hear what Shane has to say. I've got the gun Gucci as well. Problem is, only really get to run it full-tilt while taking a class in a friendly state (Colorado, Florida, etc). Definitley would like to reach out to other folks here who have the kit, and possibly have the insight about tolerant locations.

That said, if anyone knows someone who owns acres ... I'll buy the payoff beer.

Yeah private range as in privately owned with no membership is the only place ive come across where its even a discussion :(

Any thoughts on getting a group together ... Like a gun Gucci group? Maybe probe for locations?

Where in VT? I grew up there (South Burlington). My parents are still up there.

Where in VT? I grew up there (South Burlington). My parents are still up there.

Lived in Burlington. Grad from UVM. Actually, was up there this past weekend. Sorry to report the Shed is closed in Stowe. Good news however, Otter Creek picked up two of their beers and will be selling in the near future. On another note, what's NJ ZED?

Lived in Burlington. Grad from UVM. Actually, was up there this past weekend. Sorry to report the Shed is closed in Stowe. Good news however, Otter Creek picked up two of their beers and will be selling in the near future. On another note, what's NJ ZED?

Nice. I might be going up there for new years. My parents have a lake house in St Albans now, and apparently it's right next to a private range... but that range is only $50 to join :D

Nice. I might be going up there for new years. My parents have a lake house in St Albans now, and apparently it's right next to a private range... but that range is only $50 to join :D

Shooting in VT is way cool. Like I said, we used to load up on weekends and head out to some farmer's ranch. The "membership fee" was a case of beer we dropped off at the guy's front door prior to heading out on his property. We ran all sorts of goodies out there, everything from Class 3 on down. It was a real great time. Best part was, this guy had so much land, there was never an issue with neighbors or noise. Ahhhh, college.

Yeah, I know St. Albans. I had a few friends that were from there. It's north of Burlington, if I'm not mistaken. You should head up there for New Years. And don't forget to stop by Nectar's for some gravy fries. They changed their appearance, fyi. No more deli-type counter. Fries are still great though.

That's a lot of posts to read through. Are these truly groups of organized defense? Or is it more tongue in cheek? Hope the militia men are vetted for weapons handling skills. Don't want to get flagged on the 1st day the dead start walking up and down the parkway (which, based on Europe's economic news, could happen in the near future).

Yep it's up north of Burlington - about 45 mins off up 89. They still have the house in South Burlington too - the one I grew up in.

What brings you down this way, man? Where in Jersey are you?

I'm from here. I just attended college up in Vermont. The snow compelled me to go there, but I was born and raised in Union County, NJ. Work in Jersey City, live in Nutley. On another note, I spoke with some training contacts of mine today. They are interested in my hosting a tactical carbine/pistol class up this way. Long story short, I did a night vision operations course with them this summer and we got to talking. I had mentioned that any time I'm looking for top-level instruction (SF, CAG, NSW, etc), it seems I have to travel out-of-state. They offered to caravan up here, gear in tow, provided I could get enough studens together for a class. It sounds like you're plugged in on this forum ... If I throw a feeler out there, you think some of the members may have interest in attending a two or three day tactical class?

Depends on the class. Several of us (about 10) just went through the MDTS Combatative Carbine class a couple weekends ago.

Structure and topics would likely be dictated by attendees, meaning it can be designed for novice shooters ... or all the way up to pro "team" (LE/MIL). Depending on interest and objectives, pretty much anything could be covered (from marksmanship to CQB, communication, movement, shoot no-shoot, hostage rescue, low-light ops, you name it). The only real determining factors are the qualifications and skill set of the prospective attendees.

Not cool. You know how many strings I had to pull to get my hands on those limited run Black Hills 77gr loads? Those are the real zombie stoppers.

I'm sure 55gr loads have enough umpf to crack the skull. Hell, a 25 auto at 5 feet would do the trick!

I'm sure 55gr loads have enough umpf to crack the skull. Hell, a 25 auto at 5 feet would do the trick!

Hmmmm. Had promise but I think DeNiro is now a zombie sympathizer. Wouldn't know it from that role however.

Hey Ronky, sorry man i dont frequent this forum often. I recently had my first taste of NV/IR shooting. It was end of last october but it was in Pittsburgh, PA. My friend in PGH is a member of the Pitcairn-Monroeville Shooting Club. They allow members to bring guests. However the only do night shooting once a year. For all of them they run guns with lights. I have done that to death with my 10 years of airsoft. However I wanted to test a new poorman's NV setup.

I sent in my results to The Firearmblog.

http://www.thefirear...n-on-the-cheap/

Anyway in terms of finding like minded people and getting range time in the dark is difficult. I recently joined the NWRA (Northern Westchester Rifle Association) cause I live across the North NJ border in NY. In the coming winter months we switch from the outdoor Blue Mountain Shooting Center to the indoor range at Coyne Park.

I have expressed my desire to shoot in the dark. I ask them how many of them have shot in the dark and know how to utilize a light with a gun. Most of them do not or have only a couple of times. They are looking into getting range time with Coyne Park to shoot in the dark. I have plenty of lights +40 SureFires to lend if they want to try tactical lights haha. We shall see if it happens. We will definitely be shooting at Coyne Park but whether or not we can rent the range out to shoot in the dark is a different story.