Twospot

Saturday's visit to Shore Shot

I hope everyone had a great weekend! In the middle of a massive day of Christmas shopping my amazing wife to be INSISTED we stop at Shore Shot to fire off some rounds. In the interest of keeping the cost low she insisted on NOT shooting so I'd have more rounds to shoot! Nothing better than a supportive encouraging woman behind you!

So the first time I went they gave me a .38 revolver. This time I wanted to fire a semi-auto so they hooked me up with a Glock G17 9mm. This was the first experience with a semi-auto so it was the first time loading a magazine. It was a new experience for my thumbs LOL. The range master (who is a trip as the rest of the crew there are) was very helpful.

I enjoyed shooting the gun. I am not sure a Glock is what I would buy. Yes it is VERY light. To the point where it almost felt toyish without a loaded magazine. I definitely prefer the metal feel over the polymer. Nevertheless I had a blast with the gun. I did have a jam. It actually jammed right after putting the mag in and releasing the slide lock. The range master handled it and I was back on my way quickly.

I fired off a hundred rounds. After returning the gun the crew was talking about ordering food and somehow led into about a 15 minute comedy show for my woman and I so not only did I shoot, but we got a free comedy show thrown in! I can't say enough about those guys there and will definite do business with them.

I have some questions on aiming. How many of you close one of your eyes? Is that the "wrong" way? Should both eyes be open? I seemed to have a problem with having both eyes open. I figured out what eye is my master eye but it was still weird trying to focus through the sites using that eye while the other was open. Next time I will where my glasses instead of contacts, but is there a trick to aiming with both eyes open?

Glad you had a great time. Most will shoot one eye open. Especially at the range. Some folks will shoot both eyes open but it is harder, especially if you have any vision issues.

A glock is a glock. Good handguns, but you either love them or you dont.

Do you have your FID and own firearms yet? or just testing the waters?

welcome to the forum.

Are you near sighted or far sighted? Most of the time I shoot without glasses so that the front sight is in focus but the target is a little blurry. Last time out, shooting with my glasses was pretty good. See what works best for you.

Yeah, loading magazines gives your thumb some exercise.

Would not shoot without my Uplula Mag loaders! I have one for the XDs and one for the ARs. I even have a speed loader for my Ruger .22 but don't bring that too often. The darn thing is so fast and easy I end up going through 500 rounds before you know it..

Hey TwoSpot what time were you there? I was at ShoreShot from 8:30am to 10:30am. I almost always shoot both eyes open (and I'm a new shooter). It is only sometimes if I am having trouble focusing that I resort to one eye. I guess it is just what comes natural and practicing.

If you enjoy shooting then take a look at Revision Eyewear. I bought a pair of these shooting glasses that take a separate prescription insert. Have to say they are great and I'm happy to recommend them! If you search on the Internet you can get a good discount. I think I received either 25% or 30% with the code 'AR15NEWS'. I also know Anthony at GunForHire has some discount leaflets as well.

enjoy

TheWombat

I've also had to force myself to learn with both eyes, seems to work better. I find it easier to keep my head in position and not get into some cockeye position when I used both eyes. Guess I must have just missed you and wombat...was at SS myself from noon-2pm.....

Glad you had a great time. Most will shoot one eye open. Especially at the range. Some folks will shoot both eyes open but it is harder, especially if you have any vision issues.

A glock is a glock. Good handguns, but you either love them or you dont.

Do you have your FID and own firearms yet? or just testing the waters?

welcome to the forum.

Just got fingerprinted and submitted for FID on friday.

Are you near sighted or far sighted? Most of the time I shoot without glasses so that the front sight is in focus but the target is a little blurry. Last time out, shooting with my glasses was pretty good. See what works best for you.

Yeah, loading magazines gives your thumb some exercise.

I have Astigmatism so it really doesn't matter as far as nearsighted/farsighted goes.

Would not shoot without my Uplula Mag loaders! I have one for the XDs and one for the ARs. I even have a speed loader for my Ruger .22 but don't bring that too often. The darn thing is so fast and easy I end up going through 500 rounds before you know it..

I figure I'll torture myself for a bit while I am waiting for the FID LOL.

Hey TwoSpot what time were you there? I was at ShoreShot from 8:30am to 10:30am. I almost always shoot both eyes open (and I'm a new shooter). It is only sometimes if I am having trouble focusing that I resort to one eye. I guess it is just what comes natural and practicing.

If you enjoy shooting then take a look at Revision Eyewear. I bought a pair of these shooting glasses that take a separate prescription insert. Have to say they are great and I'm happy to recommend them! If you search on the Internet you can get a good discount. I think I received either 25% or 30% with the code 'AR15NEWS'. I also know Anthony at GunForHire has some discount leaflets as well.

enjoy

TheWombat

I was there later in the day. It was after 4 or 5pm. Next time maybe I'll post what time I'm heading there and maybe I can meet some of you if you are there around that time.Thanks for the heads up on the eyewear. I had on my list to research prescription protective eyewear. Being it was my first time with the semi-auto I see now why those are important. Those casings were flying everywhere LOL.

99% of the time I shoot with both eyes open. however I am not trying to make bullseye shots. I find that if I am trying to shoot really small groups I take more time between shots. In that timeframe my vision blurs a little and if I close one eye it helps. I would suggest to learn from day one to shoot with both eyes open. If you don't you are missing half of your visual information as well as screwing up your depth perception. I'm no expert though, that is just my opinion.

99% of the time I shoot with both eyes open. however I am not trying to make bullseye shots. I find that if I am trying to shoot really small groups I take more time between shots. In that timeframe my vision blurs a little and if I close one eye it helps. I would suggest to learn from day one to shoot with both eyes open. If you don't you are only missing half of your visual information as well as screwing up your depth perception. I'm no expert though, that is just my opinion.

I appreciate the info. I am going to try it again when i don't have the contacts in. That was wigging me out one eye or both because they we drying out.

I close both my eyes. Isn't that the way you're supposed to do it? :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah, I keep both eyes open but the way I shoot maybe I should try it your way.....