fishnut

How Old Is Too Old

I inherated a ithica 16g sxs shotgun due to a death in the family recently. The gun is in good condition minor rusting and no pitting and looks to be in good working order. i did a little homework and the gun was built in 1915. So my question is is this gun safe to shoot bird shot through it without it blowing up due to its age and the type of metal the barrel was mabe of? thanks in advance guys.

Adam

If it has damascus (twist) barrels, it should be apparent from its appearance. I believe by 1915 they were no longer using damascus. The problem you may have is that it is quite possibly chambered for an obsolete 16 ga round. I believe that during that era, 16 ga was 2 9/16" long. I don't know enough about shotguns to know whether a shorter, available, round would work. Heck, I don't even know if there is a 2 1/2" modern 16 ga. Parker seems to be our resident shotgun expert, and I'm betting he'll be along shortly and can give you the complete lowdown on your gun and these questions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Post a pic of the barrel proof marks and we can tell you %100 more about your gun.

No gun is "too old". Yours may only be capable of firing difficult to obtain black powder, weird sized ammo, but its not "too old" to shoot. If its unsafe due to other conditions we cant know just from a text description over the internet.

I inherated a ithica 16g sxs shotgun due to a death in the family recently. The gun is in good condition minor rusting and no pitting and looks to be in good working order. i did a little homework and the gun was built in 1915. So my question is is this gun safe to shoot bird shot through it without it blowing up due to its age and the type of metal the barrel was mabe of? thanks in advance guys.

Adam

Bob is correct, barrel steel will be modern, not Damascus, and safe to shoot but it will have short chambers unless modified. 2.5" shells are available and not expensive to purchase. The date of your shotgun would put the serial number before 400,000 and the year 1915 would make it an Ithaca Flues model. NID's (New Ithaca Doubles) hit the scene it 1925.

If it's in good condition, you have a very fine shotgun that's from a bygone era. RST sells modern 16 ga. 2.5" shells in light and field loads, right up to heavier copperplated lead shot loads for faraway pheasants and the like.

Here's a nice read on the Flues by Roger Pinckney (If you recognize the name, Roger is a contributing writer to Gray's Sporting Journal and is often found in their bi-monthly publication.):

http://www.shotgunli...ry-to-tell.html

Kevin