tony357

How Many Rounds Have You Fired Through Your Pistol..

Thought I'd share this with those of you who have had less than favorable experiences with their KIMBER or KIMBER CS.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=320750

On May 28th of of this year I was at my local range shooting my TLE/RL like I do every weekend. I carry this gun every day at work while on patrol and it's also my SWAT gun. I've had this gun since April 2004 and it HAD the external extractor. Well, at round 143,519 my extractor came out of the slide. Hmmmmm. Well I found the extractor, took the slide apart and put the extractor and spring back in. At round 143,526 it came out again. well this ended my range session and I picked up the extractor and went home.

Monday morning I called KIMBER and told them what happened and was instructed to send the gun in. I got a call from CS on Monday June 5th and a very polite and knowledgeable gentleman told me that the reason that my extractor came out was because the back end of the extractor groove as well as the hole for the extractor spring, had cracked thusly losing the tolerances needed to keep it in place or whatever.

He then asked me how many rounds I had shot through the gun and when I told him he literaly gasped and asked me if I was serious. I told him that I would be happy to fax him a copy of my log book which details every single shooting session I've had with this thing, noting all, if any issues encountered with not only the gun but the ammo as well. He asked why I kept such detailed records and I informed him that having been both a military and SWAT sniper made it a habit. Well he went on to tell me that the slide would be replaced free of charge. Great! He also said that outside of a little above average wear on the slide rails, the frame was in surprisingly good shape considering the high round count. He said that the gun would be shipped out by the end of the week.

Today I got another call from the same guy and he told me that there would be a delay in getting my gun back. What?????? he explained that some of the folks in the engineering department and the custom shop wanted to have a look at the gun and for my patience I would recieve all new parts excluding the frame. Umm, ok, I'm on vacation anyways.

So, for those of you who have had less than pleasant experiences with KIMBER CS, don't let one person sour you on the product. I have NEVER had a problem with their CS. That and the quality of their guns is the reason I carry a KIMBER. The only company that comes close to KIMBER is SA.

Cocked, Locked and Ready to Rock.

Kimber TLE/RL EE, SA EMP .40, SA TRP, Wilson CQB, Nighthawk GRP, Colt Rail Gun, Ruger SP101, Remington 11-87 Police, RRA LAR 15.

this is making me want to start a log. I bet my M&P prob has about 1500 rounds thru it tho. Better late than never...

I started one for my new M&P 9 but not sure if I will stick to it or not.

242 rounds of Blazer Brass (I know some of you don't like BB) No failures, no issues, no complaints.

Woah that is a lot of rounds. I think the most I've put through any gun is around 1500-2000 and

that is with my HK USP Compact that I sold and my current Kimber TLE/RL II. I wonder if the internal

extractor would have done any better.

awesome story. I think people just like to complain about kimber for no reason.

It's not for no reason. Their QC is spotty, some of their engineering choices have sucked, and they are overpriced given those two factors.

Can you get a good one? yes. Are the odds of getting one that needs some TLC under warrant near zero? No. Is their CS good? they are middle of the road.

I can get theri tactical pro model for $1295 street price. I can get the sig tac ops which is similar for $929, if I wanted a series 80 1911. For the same price I cna choose form a number of quality .45s with better QC or better customer service.

G21~17K+,@~13k replaced frame,manufacture defect(.

G17~7K +no problem

G30~7K +no problem

G19~4K +,no problem

S&W MP45+~ 1K ,no problem

Sig220~little under1K ,no problem

HK45C~1.5K+ ,no problem

HK USP45taktical~1K +,no problem

FNP45~1K +,no problem

HK P30L~2K +,problems with steel cased ammo,

first 350 rnds stove pipes & didn't hold slide open on empty

mag with any ammo,after that no problem.

S&W686plus~3K +,no problem

In a 10+ years period.

I have over 15k rounds through my Maverick 88 and about 6k through my 75b. Not one problem with either.

Might want to get a spare slide stop for your 75b. It used to be covered under warranty. Now it is considered a replaceable wear item. It will crack at some point, which can vary, but I would suggest stocking spares to support a 10k interval at least.