stoneface

Seven-Shooter? Really?

I was discussing with my nephew, who by the way is my firearms guru, my intended purchase of a S&W 686. We were looking at the S&W website and the 686 Plus came into view and I said maybe I should get the seven shot model. Hell, it’s only a little more in cost. I mean why not get the most I can? Why not? I mean more is more, right? Definitely.

Well it did not take long (90 seconds maybe) before I started vacillating. I felt like something was just not right. Maybe having seven chambers in the same place that six should be is too much. Maybe the metal would be weaker. Nah, S&W would not do that. OK, but I probably can’t get a speed loader for it. Soon I was pretty much determined to talk myself out of the seven shot model. It had to be six. Six feels right. And I mean, if you can’t get it done in six, then number seven is probably not going to help all that much.

But there was more to it. Six has meaning beyond a simple count. Six-shooter. It is practically synonymous with revolver. It’s a special and unique piece of our national heritage, a legacy handed down to keep and pass to the next generation. Sheriffs and gunfighters, ranchers and rustlers, Wyatt Earp, John Wayne and now…me. You can’t fight that.

And now that seventh shot seems strange, like a dangling appendage. I guess if I played piano I might figure that I would find use for an extra finger. But really, what are you going to do with it? Do they write music for extra fingers? The seventh chamber is an extra finger. Maybe less is more after all.

So let me share with you this simple mantra which now gives me great comfort:

Six shots. Five fingers. One nation under God. Amen.

Say it with me now.

A seven-shot cylinder actually is stronger than a six-shot of the same diameter. With a six-shot cylinder the bolt notches are cut right over the chamber, making that area the part of the cylinder with the thinnest wall. With a seven-shot cylinder, the bolt-notch cuts are actually between chambers, making chamber wall thickness uniform (no thin spots).

That being said - it depends on what you intend to use this revolver for. Range/plinking? Doesn't really matter. I usually only load five chambers anyway when I am just plinking at the range. However, if you intend to compete with a revolver (which seems to be growing - just from my observation), then both IDPA and USPSA limit you to six rounds - regardless of how many holes are in your cylinder. I don't shoot steel, but I believe that anything goes - 7-shot L-frames or 8-shot N-frames both fly here. Likewise for ICORE, but the only place I know of that has ICORE matches is Ontelaunee in PA. If it is for HD, then more is always better.

Don't let the mere number turn you on or off. Determine to what use you are going to put your wheelgun and buy accordingly.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Im not a fan of 7 / 8 shot revolvers. But again, what are you using it for?

They are allowed in steel competitions, but I dont feel they should be, i'd like to see it limited to 6 shots, anything more than that puts you at an unfair advantage over other revolvers in the same division.

Ha! Wait 'till I have my 617 with 10 shots of itty-bitty .22 to try to beat you and Ray with! Your 6 to my 10, maybe I won't have to reload. ;)

I agree, 6 is the "correct" number, anything else should be a plinkster/home defense. :)

My cousin has the 617 and when you use it for steel you are in the rimfire division even though it is a revolver.

Ha! Wait 'till I have my 617 with 10 shots of itty-bitty .22 to try to beat you and Ray with! Your 6 to my 10, maybe I won't have to reload. ;)

I agree, 6 is the "correct" number, anything else should be a plinkster/home defense. :)

that - i have no issue with ( 10 shot 22 revolver ) because im pretty sure it's a completely different division from revolver iron ( im pretty sure there is a revolver rimfire division )

I got the 7 shot 686. It is just awesome. The guy at the gun shop tried to convince me to get the 6 shot because he had one, but I went the 7. He did say the S&W rep mentioned they put over 20,000 rds through it for testing, but I can't confinem that. I did however want the extra round and HKS makes a 7 shot speedloader for it. I did not consider competitions when I bought this model, just range and HD.

They are allowed in steel competitions, but I dont feel they should be, i'd like to see it limited to 6 shots, anything more than that puts you at an unfair advantage over other revolvers in the same division.

Still getting a 617 for steel and OBRAMS but don't forget it will be a different division from you, Ray and Mike with your wheel guns so don't be hating.. :icon_mrgreen:

I'll agree shooting center-fire pistol 6 is the right number in that division even though it's not a rule. However like I said to Alec, the 617 will be great for steel, not just for the extra shots, but because it will be a separate division being it's a 22, that and a lot of people shooting 22LR wheelguns have a higher capacity than your normal 6 shooters.

Don't forget OBRAMS, thats USPSA style shooting but with 22's, the 10 shot gun would be more appropriate for that also.

Use that as motivation to beat someone with a 7 or 8 shot. That's how I look at it. This way, WHEN you beat them it feels much better.

• Like 1

I guess I'm old school in this regards. I prefer 6 shots for carry or duty use. The 7 or 8 shot cylinders would be great for battlefield or home defense.

this is not really a new concept. The south had a limited supply of LeMat Revolvers, 9 shot cylinders with a 16 ga barrel seperate from the cylinders. It had a tactical advantage back then; your enemy counts your shots, hits six and then exposes himself thinking your out - NOPE you still have 3 rounds and buckshot for his arse.

+1 for that man just because I know you ain't just sayin that to say it.

It's the best way to go about it, Honestly. Only having 6 shots makes you concentrate and focus more since you know 1 miss and don't miss again or you gonna have to load the cylinders fast.

Thanks for the reminder Ray...........

I bought the 617 for the OBRAMS stuff on Saturdays, that was the plan.

I will continue to use the 6-shooters for the other events. Eventually I will hit more targets with bullets and not want to throw the guns at them!

But there was more to it. Six has meaning beyond a simple count. Six-shooter. It is practically synonymous with revolver. It’s a special and unique piece of our national heritage, a legacy handed down to keep and pass to the next generation. Sheriffs and gunfighters, ranchers and rustlers, Wyatt Earp, John Wayne and now…me. You can’t fight that.

And now that seventh shot seems strange, like a dangling appendage. I guess if I played piano I might figure that I would find use for an extra finger. But really, what are you going to do with it? Do they write music for extra fingers? The seventh chamber is an extra finger. Maybe less is more after all.

So let me share with you this simple mantra which now gives me great comfort:

Six shots. Five fingers. One nation under God. Amen.

Say it with me now.

Ernest Hemmingway preferred polydactyl cats. So personally, I believe 7 shot revolvers are for those of us who are more enlightened.

Anyway, I have a 686 P and it's amazing. Yes, you can get speedloaders. No, I don't compete.

Seven shots. Six fingers. Sounds good to me. (icon_mrgreen.gif)

this is not really a new concept. The south had a limited supply of LeMat Revolvers, 9 shot cylinders with a 16 ga barrel seperate from the cylinders. It had a tactical advantage back then; your enemy counts your shots, hits six and then exposes himself thinking your out - NOPE you still have 3 rounds and buckshot for his arse.

Lemat.jpg

BEST REVOLVER EVER. Somebody really needs to make a version of these that fires a modern cartridge (like .357 magnum). God, I'd buy like 20.