TheLugNutZ

Just read a 1st hand SHTF experience

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=189395

Figured I would share. Pretty interesting...

icon1.gifmy shtf expirience-wartime

OK, i wanna share with you my own experience. (be patient with my English, i am from far away )

I am from Balkan Region, and as some of you may know it was hell here from 92-95, anyway, for 1 whole year i lived and survived in a city of 50 000- 60 000 residents WITHOUT: electricity, fuel,running water,real food distribution, or distribution of any goods, or any kind of organized law or government.The city was surrounded for 1 year and in that city actually it was SHTF situation.

We did not have organized army or police force, there was groups of defenders, actually anybody who had a gun, fight for his own house and his own family.

Some of us was better prepared, but most of families had food for couple of days, some of us had pistol, few owned AK-47 when all started.

Anyway, after one month or two, gangs started with their nasty job,hospital looked like butchery, police force vanished, 80 percent of hospital staff gone home.

I was lucky, my family was big in that time (15 members in one big house, 5-6 pistols, 3 Kalashnikov s) so we lived and survived, most of us.

I remember US Air force dropped MRE every 10 days (god bless USA for that) as help for surrounded city, it just was not enough.Some of houses had little gardens with some vegetables, most did not.

After three months rumors started abouth first deaths from starvation,deaths from low temperatures, we stripped every door , window frame from abandoned houses for heating, i burned all my own furniture for heating, lot of people died from diseases, mostly from bad water (two of my family members), we used rain water for drink, several times i ate pigeons, once i ate rat.

Money did not worth sh..

we traded things, black market worked, few examples: for 1 corned beef can you could have woman for couple of hours(sounds bad, but it was reality) i remember, most of that womans were just desperate mothers, candles, lighters,antibiotics,fuel,batteries, rifle ammo and of course food, we fight like animals for that.

In situation like that lot of things change, most of people turned to monsters, it was ugly.

Strength was in the numbers, if you were alone in the house, you ve been probably robbed and killed, no matter how well armed.

Anyway, war ended, again thanks to America (and again god bless USA for that)

It is not important witch side had right in that war.

It was almost 20 years ago, but believe me, for me it was just like yesterday, i remember everything, and i think i learned a lot.

Me and my family are prepared now,i am well armed, stocked and educated.

It is not important what going to happen, earthquake,war, tsunami,aliens terrorists, important thing is that something gonna be.

And from my expirience, you can not survive alone, strength is in the numbers, be close with your family, prepare with them, choose your friends wisely and prepare with them too.

And at the end, this is my first post, and my English is not so good, so don t judge me too hard. smile.gif

Mod Edit: Here is a link to Selco's blog www.shtfschool.com

Quite an interesting read, and that looks like a good thread, although I've only skimmed the surface of its 44 pages. Thanks for posting it. Some of the posters make the point of how we can tend to romanticize a SHTF situation, while the realities of it can be brutal, regardless of one's level of preparation.

• Like 1

Go to Vice.com and look at their Videos on Liberia and Congo..THAT my friends is SHTF that makes the Balkans look tame (Not to diminish what happened there)..Makes you realize just how Good things really are here

• Like 1

Go to Vice.com and look at their Videos on Liberia and Congo..THAT my friends is SHTF that makes the Balkans look tame (Not to diminish what happened there)..Makes you realize just how Good things really are here

I went and watched the eight (IIRC) part series on Liberia, and it was the most-horrifying sh+t I think I've viewed. You almost have to keep convincing yourself that it is not a movie you're watching, but real life. Those video journalists put together an intriguing and repulsive look at the worst of humanity and the human condition that I've ever seen.

Ill have to check this out when I get home later. This stuff is very interesting...

Oh, this will never happen here. But if it did wouldn't you be concerned about not having a NJ Castle Doctrine? I've been told here don't even discuss breaking the law. That would be irresponsible.

Amen.

I bet that across the country, in all states and towns, folks keep things hidden away that would have them in jail in a heartbeat today in case of a potential crisis tomorrow. Whether it be home-made, unregistered suppressors, magazines (in states which restrict), and even full-autos. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if folks in this country had their hands on some serious tools... like RPGs or other so-called 'destructive devices'. Quietly hidden away for the 'just in case' moment they are needed.

Even if they don't, you can bet that these things will easily become available when 'law and order' takes a break.

I bet that across the country, in all states and towns, folks keep things hidden away that would have them in jail in a heartbeat today in case of a potential crisis tomorrow. Whether it be home-made, unregistered suppressors, magazines (in states which restrict), and even full-autos. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if folks in this country had their hands on some serious tools... like RPGs or other so-called 'destructive devices'. Quietly hidden away for the 'just in case' moment they are needed.

Even if they don't, you can bet that these things will easily become available when 'law and order' takes a break.

Full-auto and larger mags would definitely be a plus in a SHTF situation. IMHO, they're not worth risking jail time for, but I guess if one had a really good hiding place...

I went and watched the eight (IIRC) part series on Liberia, and it was the most-horrifying sh+t I think I've viewed. You almost have to keep convincing yourself that it is not a movie you're watching, but real life. Those video journalists put together an intriguing and repulsive look at the worst of humanity and the human condition that I've ever seen.

Liberia was Congo was worse..much worse...they aren't eating people in Liberia. Well, yet anyway.

Liberia was Congo was worse..much worse...they aren't eating people in Liberia. Well, yet anyway.

Not true. "General" But Naked referred to he and his "troops" as killing and eating parts of innocent children to get hyped up before going into battle, and there was also commentary from several other Liberian combatants about similar atrocities. They didn't actually SHOW any cannibalism, but....

I'll have to view the Congo pieces next, but if it's as horrific as you say I think I'll wait until after the holidays.