Arbelest

Autoloading vs. Pump Action

I am looking into buying my first shotgun and am stuck on deciding on whether or not I would want an autoloader or a pump action. I am looking to shoot clays (primarily) informally and for home defense (secondary). Any oppinons/pros and cons on either type. I have been looking at 12 gauges mostly and have a few brands (benelli, beretta, remington) in mind.

For home defense, pumps are less likely to experience mechanical failure because the operator is manually cycling the gun, semi-auto's are less likely to experience user error because there's less action required by the user. 6 and a half dozen of the other, go with whatever your heart desires.

I probably should also add I have seen a youtube video of a guy with a benelli, trickshooting a whole bunch of clays (definetely an SA) and that looked really cool, but the tactical side in me wants to get a pump with a pistol grip on it.

When it comes to pumps, 5-600 get's you a damn fine gun. I would stay away from the cheap under/ over or side by sides because they are okay but cheap. For the $$ listed, you could get a remmy 870 or a mossberg and trick it out.

I have both pumps and SA. My pump is set up to be able to shoot clays (and I have), HD and I just got a slug barrel for hunting. It's the all around. Recently, I bought a SA and got a nice gun for clays. Start off cheap and slow, even if you should decide to go SA later, you will likely keep the pump for HD.

If I do choose to go with a pump what length barrel would be appropriate for clays, I know a lot of other threads on here have advised to go with an 18.5'' barrel for home defense but for clay shooting I would imagine wanting a longer barrel.

If I do choose to go with a pump what length barrel would be appropriate for clays, I know a lot of other threads on here have advised to go with an 18.5'' barrel for home defense but for clay shooting I would imagine wanting a longer barrel.

28 inch barrel is probably ideal for trap but I shoot a 24 inch barrel and have shot a 32 just as well. Skeet generally requires a little bit shorter barrel since you have to swing it so much when you're down by the houses. 24 inches is the minimum I would use for clays.