charbs1985

New Year, New Change?

I say we make 2012 the year we change NJ's gun/knife laws for the better. To do that we need to get the national level office holders/candidates behind us to influence state level decision makers. We also need to get individual police officers and commanders to support the movement as well. I know a lot of cops and most have felt the same way we do about the gun/knife laws here. They are nonsense and the only way to cut back on crime is to get serious about sentencing. Below is my list of laws that need to change this year:

1: CCW

2: Hollow Point Bullets Ban

3: "Assault Weapons Ban to include allowing private ownership of Class III weapons.

4: Eliminate the ban on Automatic knives, dirks, daggers and the other "evil" blades that aren't actually used in crimes.

What do you all think?

• Like 1

With all due respect, I think you are crazy if you think any of those laws will change in 2012, or even 5, 10, 15 years from now. It's going to take A LOT more time than that, and even though I think it is great and appreciate what a lot of organizations, clubs, people etc are doing for our 'gun rights', I highly doubt any laws related to guns/CCW/knives will ever change.

And hollow points are legal, I am not sure if you know that. They are legal to possess, transport, and shoot under certain guidelines.

• Like 1

I say we make 2012 the year we change NJ's gun/knife laws for the better. To do that we need to get the national level office holders/candidates behind us to influence state level decision makers. We also need to get individual police officers and commanders to support the movement as well. I know a lot of cops and most have felt the same way we do about the gun/knife laws here. They are nonsense and the only way to cut back on crime is to get serious about sentencing. Below is my list of laws that need to change this year:

1: CCW

2: Hollow Point Bullets Ban

3: "Assault Weapons Ban to include allowing private ownership of Class III weapons.

4: Eliminate the ban on Automatic knives, dirks, daggers and the other "evil" blades that aren't actually used in crimes.

What do you all think?

While we are all in the same boat, there are organizations you can join to help these causes, check out the links in my signature, are you a member of any or all of these??

Smart gun law? What is that? I assume anything crafted in this Progressive/Liberal state of ours that has the word "smart" in it, is not good for honest, tax-paying citizens.

That would be the "smart gun" law that requires every gun to be programmed to only shoot by the owner. You know...the one that will get people killed in defense situations where their grip isn't good, fingerprints not found, electronics broken, their key fob isn't found, their batteries were dead, you know, the standard "common sense" kind of things you find in NJ legislation.

I for one can care less about the CCW thing, but as usual for me AWB is #1 on the list. Now there is absolutely no chance in hell of it getting changed so as usual I'm just sitting back and relaxing knowing that any resistance to the system is futile.

With all due respect, I think you are crazy if you think any of those laws will change in 2012, or even 5, 10, 15 years from now. It's going to take A LOT more time than that, and even though I think it is great and appreciate what a lot of organizations, clubs, people etc are doing for our 'gun rights', I highly doubt any laws related to guns/CCW/knives will ever change.

And hollow points are legal, I am not sure if you know that. They are legal to possess, transport, and shoot under certain guidelines.

+1

Smart gun law? What is that? I assume anything crafted in this Progressive/Liberal state of ours that has the word "smart" in it, is not good for honest, tax-paying citizens.

Everything that Malsua said, which is why the police are exempt from the law. No disrespect to the LEO's on the board, but I don't think your lives are worth more than mine or my loved ones.

The real problem is that this is ALREADY LAW. It has already been passed and signed into law - just waiting to bite us in the a$$ at some future date. The AG is the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a commercially viable "smart gun" - when they say yes, that will be all you will be able to buy.

Anschutz has already prototyped a "smart gun", but the expense - at this point - makes it non-viable commercially. But we all know about technology and how costs come down. Our politicians have pumped millions of our taxpayer dollars down this rathole with development grants to NJIT, fortunately with no outcome other than dollars wasted. I'm not sure if this still being funded or not - but remember this law is like a sleeping giant. Some company, at some point in the (probably near) future, is going to come up with something that tickles the libtard AG's fancy and then kiss everything else goodbye.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Everything that Malsua said, which is why the police are exempt from the law. No disrespect to the LEO's on the board, but I don't think your lives are worth more than mine or my loved ones.

The real problem is that this is ALREADY LAW. It has already been passed and signed into law - just waiting to bite us in the a$$ at some future date. The AG is the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a commercially viable "smart gun" - when they say yes, that will be all you will be able to buy.

Anschutz has already prototyped a "smart gun", but the expense - at this point - makes it non-viable commercially. But we all know about technology and how costs come down. Our politicians have pumped millions of our taxpayer dollars down this rathole with development grants to NJIT, fortunately with no outcome other than dollars wasted. I'm not sure if this still being funded or not - but remember this law is like a sleeping giant. Some company, at some point in the (probably near) future, is going to come up with something that tickles the libtard AG's fancy and then kiss everything else goodbye.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

IIRC the law would kick in 5 years after the AG determines there is a commercially viable "smart" HG on the market.

IIRC the law would kick in 5 years after the AG determines there is a commercially viable "smart" HG on the market.

It's actually three years, not that any span of time makes it less onerous...

2C:58-2.5 Sale of personalized handguns, inapplicability.

<a name="{1BB3}">tab.gif4. a. On and after the first day of the sixth month following the preparation and delivery of the list of personalized handguns which may be sold in the State pursuant to section 3 of P.L.2002, c.130 (C.2C:58-2.4), no person registered or licensed by the superintendent as a manufacturer, wholesale dealer of firearms, retail dealer of firearms or agent or employee of a wholesale or retail dealer of firearms pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-1 or N.J.S.2C:58-2 shall transport into this State, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign or otherwise transfer any handgun unless it is a personalized handgun or an antique handgun.

tab.gifb.tab.gifThe provisions of this section shall not apply to handguns to be sold, transferred, assigned and delivered for official use to: (1) State and local law enforcement officers of this State; (2) federal law enforcement officers and any other federal officers and employees required to carry firearms in the performance of their official duties and (3) members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard.

There is a 2.5 year period up until the six months and a day referred to in paragraph 4a above.

This law needs to go away.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's actually three years, not that any span of time makes it less onerous...

2C:58-2.5 Sale of personalized handguns, inapplicability.

<a name="{1BB3}">tab.gif4. a. On and after the first day of the sixth month following the preparation and delivery of the list of personalized handguns which may be sold in the State pursuant to section 3 of P.L.2002, c.130 (C.2C:58-2.4), no person registered or licensed by the superintendent as a manufacturer, wholesale dealer of firearms, retail dealer of firearms or agent or employee of a wholesale or retail dealer of firearms pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-1 or N.J.S.2C:58-2 shall transport into this State, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign or otherwise transfer any handgun unless it is a personalized handgun or an antique handgun.

tab.gifb.tab.gifThe provisions of this section shall not apply to handguns to be sold, transferred, assigned and delivered for official use to: (1) State and local law enforcement officers of this State; (2) federal law enforcement officers and any other federal officers and employees required to carry firearms in the performance of their official duties and (3) members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard.

There is a 2.5 year period up until the six months and a day referred to in paragraph 4a above.

This law needs to go away.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

When this takes effect, do you think anyone who sues to challenge it has a chance in hell of winning?

I am going to assume that the cost of such a "smart gun" is at least double, if not triple what the average pistol costs. I can guarantee you that I WILL NOT be purchasing such a fire arm, considering the cost is probably equal to a two regular pistols, a years worth of ammo, and a premium range membership!

What happens to the rest of us with our now "dumb guns" once this takes effect? Do they get permanently made safe queens until we move out of this hell hole of a state?

There has to be something we can do about how ridiculous our gun laws are. I know it's like taking on a grizzly bear with a pea shooter, but so long as there is a .01% chance of making a change, we have to try!

I thought there was a little hope because it exempts guns used solely for competition. However, the only competitive sanctioning bodies they recognize are the CMP (do they even have handgun events? Is Camp Perry CMP or NRA?) and USSF.

This also paves the way for a whole new level of bureaucracy, calling for the creation of a committee that will determine if a gun meets the "smart gun" criteria. Manufacturers will have to submit firearms for testing and will have to pay a fee for testing - they may also have to divulge how their technology works (fat chance of one manufacturer disclosing proprietary info that may become available to a competing manufacturer).

This will, in effect, kill all handgun sales in NJ. Your only source for non-smart guns will be from the existing pool of non-smart guns, in private hands in resident-to-resident FTF transactions.

If this ever goes into effect, we're screwed. This law has to go. This is even sneakier than the 11th hour passage of OGAM, since it was passed before the technology became available and most people don't know, or have forgotten that it exists.

You can read the relevant statutes here...

http://lis.njleg.sta...=2&x=34&y=10=

2C:58-2.3 through 2C:58-2.5

Let's not forget about this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Wow, I thought I was a pessimist when it comes to change in NJ gun laws. I do believe that there is a reasonable likelihood of some change in the next five years. A lot will depend on the election in November, obviously. If HR 822 passes in the Senate and is signed into law, I think that will highlight the absurdity of NJ's CCW laws. Also, when people like Peter Valone in NY start saying that NY gun laws are too strict and need to be reconsidered it seems clear that change is in the air. Combine that with the increased publicity garnered by the efforts of NJ2AS, GFH, ANJRPC, etc. and I think that we just might see some change in NJ are the broken permitting system and perhaps CCW at some point. Although the AWB is idiotic, the fact remains that we can go out an buy ARs, mini-14s, M-1s, etc., etc. The "assault weapon" moniker is deeply ingrained in the public conciousness and it gives people false comfort to know that such evil creations are "banned" even if the "ban" only applies to meaningless cosmetic features. I can't see that changing any time soon.

I'm completely fed up with this state and there attitude that they know better than the rest of the USA! We pay the most in taxes, but get nothing in return but more rules and BS. We have to be able to do something! I feel like we live under a dictatorship!

I'm completely fed up with this state and there attitude that they know better than the rest of the USA! We pay the most in taxes, but get nothing in return but more rules and BS. We have to be able to do something! I feel like we live under a dictatorship!

So was I which is why I moved. First things I did when I got to Florida was buy an Automatic knife and get my Concealed Carry Permit. I can now walk into any of 5 gun stores/Pawn Shops (almost every pawn shop here sells both new and used guns) within 20 minutes of my house, buy as many guns as I want with the largest capacity magazines made for them and walk out with them in 10 minutes. Form is name and address, some check boxes and your signature adn that is it. Biggest holdup is NICS check once in a while. I hardly remember life without carrying a gun with me whenever I leave my house. Hard to explain the feeling of safety/security when carrying a gun outside of your comfort zone.

So was I which is why I moved. First things I did when I got to Florida was buy an Automatic knife and get my Concealed Carry Permit. I can now walk into any of 5 gun stores/Pawn Shops (almost every pawn shop here sells both new and used guns) within 20 minutes of my house, buy as many guns as I want with the largest capacity magazines made for them and walk out with them in 10 minutes. Form is name and address, some check boxes and your signature adn that is it. Biggest holdup is NICS check once in a while. I hardly remember life without carrying a gun with me whenever I leave my house. Hard to explain the feeling of safety/security when carrying a gun outside of your comfort zone.

If not for deep family ties I would be headed to PA.

It's sad that we have to leave a place we call home to have the same rights and privileges as the rest of the country!

• Like 1

You correct that you can transport them TO and FROM a firing range and may shoot them IN your home but those few dozen private citizens in this state who have CCW CAN NOT use hollowpoints (including retired police officers who have the retired cop CCW). And with due respect attitudes like yours are the reason why many times you are correct that things won't change.

While we are all in the same boat, there are organizations you can join to help these causes, check out the links in my signature, are you a member of any or all of these??

I belonged to the NRA many years ago however became disillusioned with some of their tactics and just didn't feel that they were effective enough to warrant renewing my membership after several years. I only learned of NJSF a few weeks ago while researching CCW in NJ.

I've been seriously considering moving to Florida, not just because of the gun issue, but that's a major part of it. If I can transfer to the St. Petersburg office for my agency I'm outta here likely. I'm not a city dweller type, more rural or at least suburban. Any idea what the area near St. Pete is like? Thanks for any info.

but those few dozen private citizens in this state who have CCW CAN NOT use hollowpoints (including retired police officers who have the retired cop CCW).

That's incorrect. Retired LEO's can indeed carry HP's. There was a revised ruling - I believe from the AG's office, about a year and a half ago. One of the LEO's on the board can chime in and give the correct cite.

Wow, I thought I was a pessimist when it comes to change in NJ gun laws. I do believe that there is a reasonable likelihood of some change in the next five years. A lot will depend on the election in November, obviously. If HR 822 passes in the Senate and is signed into law, I think that will highlight the absurdity of NJ's CCW laws. Also, when people like Peter Valone in NY start saying that NY gun laws are too strict and need to be reconsidered it seems clear that change is in the air. Combine that with the increased publicity garnered by the efforts of NJ2AS, GFH, ANJRPC, etc. and I think that we just might see some change in NJ are the broken permitting system and perhaps CCW at some point. Although the AWB is idiotic, the fact remains that we can go out an buy ARs, mini-14s, M-1s, etc., etc. The "assault weapon" moniker is deeply ingrained in the public conciousness and it gives people false comfort to know that such evil creations are "banned" even if the "ban" only applies to meaningless cosmetic features. I can't see that changing any time soon.

But still no M1 carbines - that one hurts the most.

I thought there was a little hope because it exempts guns used solely for competition. However, the only competitive sanctioning bodies they recognize are the CMP (do they even have handgun events? Is Camp Perry CMP or NRA?) and USSF.

This also paves the way for a whole new level of bureaucracy, calling for the creation of a committee that will determine if a gun meets the "smart gun" criteria. Manufacturers will have to submit firearms for testing and will have to pay a fee for testing - they may also have to divulge how their technology works (fat chance of one manufacturer disclosing proprietary info that may become available to a competing manufacturer).

This will, in effect, kill all handgun sales in NJ. Your only source for non-smart guns will be from the existing pool of non-smart guns, in private hands in resident-to-resident FTF transactions.

If this ever goes into effect, we're screwed. This law has to go. This is even sneakier than the 11th hour passage of OGAM, since it was passed before the technology became available and most people don't know, or have forgotten that it exists.

You can read the relevant statutes here...

http://lis.njleg.sta...=2&x=34&y=10=

2C:58-2.3 through 2C:58-2.5

Let's not forget about this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree that this really needs to go away. If you are a collector, you wouldn't be able to buy old collectible handguns unless you found one instate and did a FTF sale, and since there wouldn't be any prohibition on guns leaving NJ, once they go, they would be gone forever.