I realize it's really just an agent for sellers, but any thoughts on using Gunsamerica.com?

Perhaps I was seeing things but the few times I was on that site it looked to me that the prices quoted were a few dollars higher that the same firearms dealer's web site.Maybe to help pay for Gunsamerica service and convenience?

I say we have too many good FFL right here in NJ that are happy to have your business and just by chance many of the really good ones are forum supporters and you can look up pricing right here on the forum.

I agree and would love to support local businesses. I'll try a price request again, but the results of my last one showed prices over $100 plus tax more than online.

I agree and would love to support local businesses. I'll try a price request again, but the results of my last one showed prices over $100 plus tax more than online.

Understand, but when pricing things, do an apples to apples comparison, remember total out the door in your hand price after all taxes, NICS, Shipping, Transfer fees etc..

Understand, but when pricing things, do an apples to apples comparison, remember total out the door in your hand price after all taxes, NICS, Shipping, Transfer fees etc..

I'm doing that - in this case the tax I'd pay for a NJ purchase is about equal to shipping and fees. If the difference is $20, I'll gladly go local.

I'll support my local business when he stops charging list price and I can get it on the internet for a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

I hear what you're saying, but don't forget, buying online means xfer fee's and shipping on top of that price.....

I say we have too many good FFL right here in NJ that are happy to have your business and just by chance many of the really good ones are forum supporters and you can look up pricing right here on the forum.

True..but not everyone has something specific, especially if it's an older model or more rare type on hand. If I decide tomorrow that I want an .44 Auto-Mag..what are the chances of one of our Site retailers having a used one on hand? Gunbroker and sites like it are a decent resource to have available.

I'll support my local business when he stops charging list price and I can get it on the internet for a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Add in shipping, transfer fees and the like, and you might see that there isnt all THAT much difference.

7% sales tax in this state - that counters shipping and FFL fees in many cases, especially when the gun is $1000+. For guns under $1000, factor in that online/out-of-state prices are lower and it's either a wash or it falls in favor of non-local sellers.

Why do our local stores charge so much more than stores in other states? Is there a legal/tax/fee burden that NJ puts on them beyond other states?

If pricing is based on demand I would expect lower prices in NJ - assuming we have a lower percentage of gun owners vs., say, Texas. But that's an assumption and you know what assuming gets you.

True..but not everyone has something specific, especially if it's an older model or more rare type on hand. If I decide tomorrow that I want an .44 Auto-Mag..what are the chances of one of our Site retailers having a used one on hand? Gunbroker and sites like it are a decent resource to have available.

I agree, I know I would check with the members here if they might have what I am looking for, then put something in the Price Checker, and if no bites, I'll hit the on-line places. To be honest, that's the order I would purchase, but I would have done my research with the on-line places just so I can see what they are going for and availability.. :icon_mrgreen:

7% sales tax in this state - that counters shipping and FFL fees in many cases, especially when the gun is $1000+. For guns under $1000, factor in that online/out-of-state prices are lower and it's either a wash or it falls in favor of non-local sellers.

Why do our local stores charge so much more than stores in other states? Is there a legal/tax/fee burden that NJ puts on them beyond other states?

If pricing is based on demand I would expect lower prices in NJ - assuming we have a lower percentage of gun owners vs., say, Texas. But that's an assumption and you know what assuming gets you.

most of the places that have REALLY cheap prices, do so by volume sales, that a local store CANT match. Buds does more in a week than some local stores can do in a month, The local places have to keep their doors open, which is why If I need a genereic lower, I'll buy it from paul (PK90) rather than buy the $50.00 Palmetto State sale lower...especially sicne Paul would be doing the transfer for me ANYWAY.

Property taxes may have something to do with it. As we know property taxes in NJ are obscene. I would give a guy like Jim Flynn a call .He has pretty good prices.

GunBroker.com is much better than GunsAmerica. GA is just a nice interface for sellers. I have probably bought. 10 guns off ga with no problem. I have run into problems there where the seller told me the gun was sold. In one case I know he didn't want to sell because his price was lower than he realized. I spoke with his assistant, who told me he had the gun in his hand. I spoke with the owner, who then told me he didn't have the gun any more. I then called him a liar and a scumbag. I contacted GunsAmerica, and they backed the seller. I have tried to avoid them ever since. Unfortunately, sometimes they have guns no one else does.