Malsua

IP Board(this forum) and the Firefox Spell Check

If you recently upgraded your Firefox Browser to version 9, you may or may not have noticed that your spell check stopped working.

For whatever reason, only some forum software systems aren't automatically defaulting to your regional selection.

For example this word: --> peelslchek <-- should have a red squiggly line under it if you hit reply to my message.

First, verify that spelling is enabled. Type a misspelled word then right click the word. In the menu that comes up, make sure "Check Spelling" is checked.

If your misspelled word does not have squiggly lines and you are using Firefox 9.x(as well as 12.x now) then you need to RIGHT CLICK on the word, hover over LANGUAGES that appears at the bottom of the list. This opens a sub menu and if there is no bullet beside "English / United States" click it. The squiggly line should appear.

Cheers.

Edit to add: This affects FF 12 as well.

Edited by Malsua
  • Like 5

If you recently upgraded your Firefox Browser to version 9, you may or may not have noticed that your spell check stopped working.

For whatever reason, only some forum software systems aren't automatically defaulting to your regional selection.

For example this word: --> peelslchek <-- should have a red squiggly line under it if you hit reply to my message.

First, verify that spelling is enabled. Type a misspelled word then right click the word. In the menu that comes up, make sure "Check Spelling" is checked.

If your misspelled word does not have squiggly lines and you are using Firefox 9.x then you need to RIGHT CLICK on the word, hover over LANGUAGES that appears at the bottom of the list. This opens a sub menu and if there is no bullet beside "English / United States" click it. The squiggly line should appear.

Cheers.

I learned all that the hard way.. thanks for posting though.. you will definitely save someone a headache!

I learned all that the hard way.. thanks for posting though.. you will definitely save someone a headache!

The thing is, my spelling is pretty good so I don't see corrections in every post. I post in a number of different places and the spell check was working fine. I came here this morning and kept looking at a word that wasn't alerted as being spelled wrong, but I knew it must be, so after checking it in Google, I realized the checker wasn't working here. It worked elsewhere on the same word. That led me to the IP.Board as being a contributor to the problem. I've never had to go in and define the dictionary before. There is probably a forum language default somewhere that isn't set or doesn't match the firefox spell check. Anyway, this solves it.

If your misspelled word does not have squiggly lines and you are using Firefox 9.x then you need to RIGHT CLICK on the word, hover over LANGUAGES that appears at the bottom of the list. This opens a sub menu and if there is no bullet beside "English / United States" click it. The squiggly line should appear.

Cheers.

SHute I was wondering what happened. Thanks.