Sign in to follow this  
Melgamatic

FFL123.com

If you get gun magazines, you've probably seen the ads for www.ffl123.com, a company that promises to get you your home-based FFL, or 150% of your money back.

http://www.ffl123.com

I know that this will probably fail in NJ, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever paid $39 for their kit and can tell me what's in it. Has anyone done this in another state, maybe?

If you're just going to post "it won't work in NJ" you don't need to bother, because I'm already there with you, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it; I'm interested in the failure modes as much as a success story.

-Dave

• Like 1

I actually bought it and am trying to work with it now. As Mike mentioned, zoning approval is the first hurdle which I'm trying to deal with.

You can ask your zoning department for a permit to run a business from your home which is usually fine as long as it's not a retail business

with customers coming and going. As soon as you mention your trying to apply for an FFL and you want to sell guns the red flag goes up.

My zoning officer said point blank, No I won't allow that. I asked if that was written anywhere and he couldn't answer me.

At this point I'm researching my zoning laws to see if he can legally deny the request and how I might be able to overcome this.

One thing I've learned is you want to have your ducks in a row before you apply for the FFL because if your denied, for any reason, it makes

it almost impossible to get approved in the future.

I'll update as I gather more info.

I'll bet that ffl123.com probably takes what is freely available from the ATF website, repackages it, and charges you $39 for it.

http://www.atf.gov/f...ome-an-ffl.html

That's what I was thinking, I would check the ATF website before spending any money on that kit.

I actually bought it and am trying to work with it now. As Mike mentioned, zoning approval is the first hurdle which I'm trying to deal with.

You can ask your zoning department for a permit to run a business from your home which is usually fine as long as it's not a retail business

with customers coming and going. As soon as you mention your trying to apply for an FFL and you want to sell guns the red flag goes up.

My zoning officer said point blank, No I won't allow that. I asked if that was written anywhere and he couldn't answer me.

At this point I'm researching my zoning laws to see if he can legally deny the request and how I might be able to overcome this.

One thing I've learned is you want to have your ducks in a row before you apply for the FFL because if your denied, for any reason, it makes

it almost impossible to get approved in the future.

I'll update as I gather more info.

Most zoning regs exclude all or most business activity in residential zones, the zoning officer wouldn't need to prove it's not allowed, rather you would need to prove it is allowed under that zone. If your house is in a residential zone, you are going to have a tough time getting approval if your town doesn't want you running an FFL out of it. You would probably need to sue them if they deny your request for a variance, and even then it will be a long shot.

If you get gun magazines, you've probably seen the ads for www.ffl123.com, a company that promises to get you your home-based FFL, or 150% of your money back.

http://www.ffl123.com

I know that this will probably fail in NJ, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever paid $39 for their kit and can tell me what's in it. Has anyone done this in another state, maybe?

If you're just going to post "it won't work in NJ" you don't need to bother, because I'm already there with you, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it; I'm interested in the failure modes as much as a success story.

-Dave

ill split it with you..... wanna go halves.... ????

First go to your building department and get the forms to fill-out for applying to run a business from a residential household. If the zoning doesn't allow it you then need to go in front of the zoning board and try to persuade them to allow it. Without a good plan, including a lawyer and a planner, you will probably get stopped cold right there. The zoning officer can not simply say no, I won't let you do it. The zoning board certainly can.

I've also been thinking of applying for my FFL and I live in Hamilton (mercer county). My brother in law who already runs a plumbing business out of his house applied and went before the zoning board. He got stopped cause one or more neighbors objected to having a firearms business there. I am running with the idea that I wouldn't be a "stocking dealer" and would conduct business by appointment only either at my house or their location. The customer would order the gun of their choice, UPS would deliver it to me then I'd immediately complete the transfer. I haven't bought a gun in 20 years but the few I did I got from a coworker who had his FFL, lived in PA and worked out of his house. He was also a gunsmith. So I'd tell the neigbors,"there won't be increased traffic or dozens of people coming and going throughout the day. There won't even be a sign out front. Hell, if it wasn't for this mandatory notification procedure, you'd never even know anything was going on."

What happened to the post from the guy claiming to run ffl123.com? It was in the thread previously, now its gone.

Back on topic - those of you considering trying to run a home-based FFL might want to talk to Matthew Carmel of Constitution arms(link goes to a blog post he made in online local paper):

http://maplewood.pat...me-self-defense

He runs an FFL out of his house in a very "residential" area. I did a transfer via him once and wondered if I had the wrong address when I showed up the first time.

He runs an FFL out of his house in a very "residential" area. I did a transfer via him once and wondered if I had the wrong address when I showed up the first time.

The Garand Guy has his (reasonably high volume business) running out of his basement in a completely residential area. No separate door or anything. He answers his front door and you follow him through the living room down into the basement.

One of the world's largest benchrest rifle dealers is in Lake Hopatcong ("The World's Largest Inventory of Benchrest Rifles") and he's also in a plain old house, although he does have a basement door that goes into a separate area.

There are lots of these home-based FFL's, but they're mostly old guys that probably setup in the 1960's.

A friend of mine has is FFL for a couple years now at his house in a residential area in north NJ. VERY residential. Some how they snuck under the radar, and when the town found out they tried to shut it down, but the threat of a lawsuit after he had been established for over a year shut them up.

When you apply for zoning do you have to list exactly what type of business you are going to run? or can you just say private home based business...

Correct, it is all about the zoning.

In NJ, since you can't get an FFL for shits and giggles, you need to get it to run a business. In order to run a business, the question is will your town let you run a business out of your house, where people come to your house to conduct the transaction. You might even have to go re-zone your place.

In alot of instances, just easier to go rent an office for $500 a month and do it from there.

A friend of mine has is FFL for a couple years now at his house in a residential area in north NJ. VERY residential. Some how they snuck under the radar, and when the town found out they tried to shut it down, but the threat of a lawsuit after he had been established for over a year shut them up.

When you apply for zoning do you have to list exactly what type of business you are going to run? or can you just say private home based business...

Typically they would want to know all the details, what type of business, number of employees, expected traffic, parking situation, indoor activity only or outdoor as well, hours of operation (or at least they will TELL you what hours of operation are permitted) and what ever else they think might be relevant to the type of business you are trying to run.

Some towns are lenient, and others are downright obstructionist. That's why you hear of some people being able to get approval in a residential zone and others getting put through the wringer even if it's a permitted activity for the zone.

My wife is a CPA...if we approach the zoning board to run a business from home, and IF they ask, we tell them it will be a "buy appointment accounting firm", and then I later apply for an FFL and manage to get approved...

Think it might work?

ac

You will suffer the same fate as I did when I tried to get a nitrous bottle to fill my own bottles for my race car, it ain't gonna happen.

If you want to try it illegally then good luck if you get caught.

I have to pay $6.00 per pound instead of $2.50, better than jail time and fines.

My wife is a CPA...if we approach the zoning board to run a business from home, and IF they ask, we tell them it will be a "buy appointment accounting firm", and then I later apply for an FFL and manage to get approved...

Think it might work?

ac

A lot of towns allow accounting, doctor and other "professional" offices to operate in residential zones. The NJSP is not going to give you a state firearms dealer license without town approval, these are two separate business that need separate approvals from the town.

A lot of towns allow accounting, doctor and other "professional" offices to operate in residential zones. The NJSP is not going to give you a state firearms dealer license without town approval, these are two separate business that need separate approvals from the town.

What he said. the NJSP requires approval of your local town.

Also when processing your FFL application the ATF WILL contact your zoning department for their approval

so sliding under the radar as an accounting firm or any other type of home business will not work.

Either zoning approves a home based FFL or they don't and your only option is to rent a retail zoned commercial

property.

One other option that's possible is have the "ship to" address on the FFL different than your home address.

This makes zoning departments comfortable because your not having guns delivered to your home but again,

you need another property to ship them to so why bother.

One other option that's possible is have the "ship to" address on the FFL different than your home address. This makes zoning departments comfortable because your not having guns delivered to your home but again, you need another property to ship them to so why bother.

You may use a private shipping location per ATF. Goin Postal, Mailbox Plus, etc.

The Garand Guy has his (reasonably high volume business) running out of his basement in a completely residential area. No separate door or anything. He answers his front door and you follow him through the living room down into the basement.

One of the world's largest benchrest rifle dealers is in Lake Hopatcong ("The World's Largest Inventory of Benchrest Rifles") and he's also in a plain old house, although he does have a basement door that goes into a separate area.

There are lots of these home-based FFL's, but they're mostly old guys that probably setup in the 1960's.

if i buy the business from someone can i automatically become a ffl?

if i buy the business from someone can i automatically become a ffl?

You would still need to comply with ATF and state requirements to get your licenses in your name, however the town would not be able to (easily) shut the business down for things like non compliance to zoning regs, even if ownership changes. At that point the business would be a non conforming preexisting use, that said, you would have to maintain the same location and could not change the scope of the business greatly.

You would still need to comply with ATF and state requirements to get your licenses in your name, however the town would not be able to (easily) shut the business down for things like non compliance to zoning regs, even if ownership changes. At that point the business would be a non conforming preexisting use, that said, you would have to maintain the same location and could not change the scope of the business greatly.

nice now i need to find a guy who wants to retire and move to fl and sell me his business lol