Sign in to follow this  
mgd89

Handgun help

Hey everyone first time posting here. Need help picking out my last handgun with the 3 permits i have with the first 2 permits i bought an hk usp45 and a ruger lc9. Now i have the 45 and 2 9mm. I shoot once a week roughly 100 rounds of 9mm or 45 depending on my mood. With my last permit i was leaning towards the glock 29sf I shot the 20sf and really enjoyed 10mm. But since i do shoot once a week should i just get a 22lr pistol and hold off on the 10mm. So any advice or thoughts i beat myself up over this next purchase a lot and could use some outside input. 22lr or 10mm for my next purchase? thanks everyone.

Get a 22lr. Something that if you just want to go for a light day, or a day where you can just go mag dump ammo, it will not hurt you or your wallet.

10mm is a great round, but it is as big of a novelty round as they come, next to 50 AE, 500 S&W. There is no practical need for it in NJ, but it is fun. Once you have all the handguns you need, then you go into the "because I can/want to" calibers.

Your answer depends on how much money you are willing to spend per week on ammo. If you have plenty of disposable income, 10mm will surley give you bigger boom happyness over .22lr. If you find yourself getting disgusted with ammo prices every week, .22 is the way to go to save bucks and still shoot a lot.

Depends on what purpose.

If you are heading towards bullseye type shooting, the Ruger is as good a gun as any. Cleaning it is a pain in the butt.

There are plenty of combat like pistols in 22lr, such as the GSG 1911, M&P 22 pistol, Walther P22. More fun, easier to clean, but will not be as accurate because of the shorter barrels and sight pictures. However for training, and gun games, will be just fine.

Other fine alternatives, Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos, Browning 1911-22, Sig 1911-22 (which is a GSG 1911).

People (you know who you are) really need to stop saying things like "the Ruger Mk's are really hard to clean" or "hard to field strip" or "you need a in depth manual just to take apart" and the such. They are not. It takes all of 4-5 steps. It is not hard. I takes no more thought than to take any other firearm apart. It only requires a little work for it to loosen up, or a bit of force at first.

With that said, I would suggest a .22lr pistol. Of what, that depends on what you like. There are some really great .22lr pistols out there. So depending on what you want to spend, what you like to shoot, what you like the feel of and look of the best, will determine the route you should take.

I know a lot of people like something similar to their center fire handguns but want a cheaper option to shoot, so go with something like the M&P 22. If you want something to bullseye shoot with, maybe the Ruger MK II or III, or Browning Buckmark. Maybe you want something a little bit cheaper, like the S&W 22a, or Walther P22.

I own a Ruger MK III Hunter with a small tube style red dot. I went with it because I liked both the feel and look, and wanted something that allowed me to easily mount a red dot or scope on it. They are quite accurate, and very reliable. I have no complaints. I'd actually really like to buy a Buckmark at some point. I love shooting .22's. They are cheap, easy to use, accurate, and plinking is a blast. You can never have too many, but you can certainly have not enough!

Get a 357 & shoot 38 specials all day long. 22LR is just boring unless you are a 10 year old. (Just kidding. No hate mail please :-)

I have to agree somewhat with you. I like to shoot .22lr every so often, usually when my gf is shooting it, or when I use a .22 to teach a new shooter, but it doesn't take long to get boring.

not too big on revolvers...Looking for something accurate and reliable really

Holy mackerel. That right there automatically goes onto that long, long list of funny gun quotes hahaha. One of the best I've heard so far...

I would consider a Ruger Mark II Target Stainless w/ 5" barrel or an older used Browning Buckmark OR another 9mm, something like a CZ 75B or a Berettta 92A1.