Karatenurse

Taurus 1911

I have a PT1911 in 9MM, Stainless for a month now. Replaced the factory sights with Novak fiberoptic sights, and now I'm happy. Only down side is that I have yet to locate spare mags. I should add that if you buy the 9MM, make sure to shoot 124 g as recommended in the manual. 115g shoots like crap, at least in my experience.

Ive heard HORRIBLE things about taurus from people who sell them. But I've only heard good things from people who ownthem. Take that for what its worth I guess, I've never owned one.

RIA on the other hand seems to get good reviews from everyone.

My next gun will be a 1911. I went to a few stores to see if they carry the Taurus but most of the dealers say that it is crap and they do not stock them. Let me know if you find a store that actually carries it.

Ive heard HORRIBLE things about taurus from people who sell them. But I've only heard good things from people who ownthem. Take that for what its worth I guess, I've never owned one.

My next gun will be a 1911. I went to a few stores to see if they carry the Taurus but most of the dealers say that it is crap and they do not stock them. Let me know if you find a store that actually carries it.

I guess that all depends on which gun stores you go to. Being less expensive I would guess the profit margin on Taurus is less.

I've had a Taurus 1911 in 45 for the past five years with several thousand rounds down range. I have had zero malfunctions with it (kind of like a Glock) and no issues at all. It is the 1911 I carry when I carry a 1911 (my other 1911s are all Colts).

I guess that all depends on which gun stores you go to. Being less expensive I would guess the profit margin on Taurus is less.

I've had a Taurus 1911 in 45 for the past five years with several thousand rounds down range. I have had zero malfunctions with it (kind of like a Glock) and no issues at all. It is the 1911 I carry when I carry a 1911 (my other 1911s are all Colts).

Less expensive usually means more margin, in my line if work at least. More room to mark up. I was days away from buying one myself but found a good deal in a colt instead. From my research I've found that they had issues years ago that destroyed their reputation with dealers. In this kind of business rep is everything.

But like I said, I've heard good things from owners and was ready to get one myself.

Less expensive usually means more margin, in my line if work at least. More room to mark up. I was days away from buying one myself but found a good deal in a colt instead. From my research I've found that they had issues years ago that destroyed their reputation with dealers. In this kind of business rep is everything.

Taurus handguns were not well finished in the 70s but met any utility type need like a H&R or Iver Johnson. The first Taurus I bought (in 1988) was a Model 85 followed by a 669. The 85 has a better trigger than any J frame S&W of the era and the 669 more durable than a S&W Model 19 I had bought in the 70s. Both guns cost me about half a comparable S&W would then. This is when Taurus was trying to establish a significant market in the US.

I agree with your logic about pricing to an extent as it seems many dealers will price a Taurus at or below MSRP and discount a S&W more. At least from what I've seen.

I have three Taurii, .357 Tracker, a PT92 and 709Slim. I haven't had any issues with any, and they serve me well. My friend bought a Taurus 1911 .45, he has nothing but problems with it. I keep telling him to send it to them for repair, but he's lazy and still hasn't done it.

Check out youtube reviews of the PT1911 as I did myself (considered this pistol) but the reviews are mixed at best. Also there's a review in one of the magazines I get from a month or two back and that review too was mixed. Finish was so-so.

My pt1911 with upgraded trigger, wilson combat hummer and sear, 16lbs recoil spring, wilson combat magwell(planning to replace woth DP magwell), 14 lbs main spring, polish the trigger and feed ramp. 2500+ rounds later my taurus still function luke a butter